Sign in to follow this  
sluth0e

Host Altitude Review

Let’s get started with my review.. This is my personal experience and thoughts, things may have changed now. I don't know.

So I purchased a 40 slot server for DayZ in NY from “Host Altitude” on the 31st of July, their ETA said July 31st for NYC servers. After purchasing I didn’t get my server right away, fine by me I understand setup times etc. So I am patient and wait for 24 hours.

Aug 1st :

I get an email for my CP, I’m all stoked, I login to stop my server and update it etc., I can’t start my server. It just said (Status: Error, slots 0/0). All of a sudden the CP goes down about 10 minutes later, (cp.dayzhosting.com), so I put in a support ticket, no response for 24 hours. Their CP is basically down until about 1 AM EST. (GMT-4, tried periodically through the day)

Aug 2nd :

I never received and email for my ticket, I had to manually check that it had been responded to. Someone did responded, Notice, This ticket went up 1st August 2012 08:58, I Got my response 2nd August 2012 05:31. Not a full 24 hours but pretty damn close to it. In this ticket it literally says this:

“Control Panel is now back online.

Thanks for your patients”

Okay? First of all what patients? Did you mean patience? Why did you go down? What do I tell my friends/community? Unbelievable who is working for you that can’t even spell?

Anyway, I login to the CP, to find my server up and running it has been assigned a PID etc. Okay, cool so I shut down I reupdate the OA build 95417 + DayZ 1.7.2.4 + Hive 0.7.2 + BE update. It says it was all done, I go to start my server, it starts and when I tried to join (along with many others), I get the “This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application, you cannot play on this server, if you are the server admin please contact DayZ Staff”.

Then, I try to troubleshoot it by using the older 95389 build and even manually updating the server by downloading the latest zip for DayZ via FTP, just to find out that they don’t allow .dll’s to be uploaded, I search around the ftp for the dynamic link libs for @hive and MySQL, I am not the server admin so I don’t know if I have been restricted from seeing it, but on their website it says server.cfg is restricted and I can access it via FTP/CP, but I couldn’t find the DLLs. I don’t know if DayZ requires these things but it was in the zip I received. I also checked the logs for possible reason while I was at it and everyone who joins my server basically gets one of these: “Player X: Wrong Signature for file Y.”

5:58:56 X uses modified data file

5:58:56 Player X connecting.

5:58:56 Player X: Wrong signature for file c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\expansion\addons\characters_e.pbo

5:58:57 Player X: Wrong signature for file c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\expansion\addons\desert_e.pbo

5:58:57 Player X: Wrong signature for file c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\expansion\addons\dubbingradio_e.pbo

5:58:57 Player X: Wrong signature for file c:\program files

… list goes on and on. It’s about 5mb of this.

Also, I see no updates on the forums/website saying that you may experience downtime for any new customers or any possible reasoning as to why things aren’t working. I feel they leave you out in the dark. This is a managed server I am paying for I should not have to troubleshoot your problems for you by checking logs that you should be checking, or uploading files that you should already have. If I had wanted to do any of this I would have paid for an unmanaged VDS.

I have been renting/purchasing managed/unmanaged servers for multiple purposes since 2001 and honestly this is the worst company I have ever seen in terms of ETA’s, support and response times. I can’t even rate their server performance because they can’t even get things running.

Host Altitude says if you are an unhappy customer to refund with them, they will be happy to refund you.

Edited by sluth0e

yeah i have a server with them as well and im currently on 48hr plus waiting for a response on my support ticket there customer support is shit

yeah i have a server with them as well and im currently on 48hr plus waiting for a response on my support ticket there customer support is shit

I've put in 3 tickets within the past week, all were answered within a day and my virtual server is up and running perfectly.

my clan has a server with then we got it a few weeks ago and we have not really had any problems with it got the server like 10hrs after paying and had 1.7.2.3 we updated to 1.7.2.4 with no problems have all the updates and things are running good i am not the admin but he has not really had any issues updating or getting ticket responses that i know of

I am extremely sorry for the service you have received. You ordered at the the worse possible time and I can't be sorry enough for our service during this time. We were very short staffed when you ordered and have been trying to catch up since then.

You simply need to make a ticket and we will refund you, like I said it may take up to 24-48 hours due to further staff shortages until Monday but you will definitely get refunded. We have always refunded customers who have been unhappy and your advice to 'create a dispute or contact your bank' is very unhelpful. Creating a dispute will take 10-20 days to resolve as I am the only one who can deal with this, not our billing/support staff who can process refund requests over tickets only. As said above we are very experienced with hosting DayZ servers and were the first ever company or person to donate servers to the DayZ team which we actually still do (free of charge).

Some new staff are still learning and DayZ being in alpha takes a lot of time to get your head around errors. All our staff are based in either the UK or USA. Any spelling mistakes are probably caused by us being over stretched and lack of sleep, I am sorry about them and this will be hopefully improved my the start of next week.

Edited by Jonnerz

WORST HOST EVER! Every time he replied it was " ITS WORKING FOR ME " comment and " HAVE YOU UPDATED TO LATEST VERSION " funny part is this guy never even has his servers up to date i wait months for latest beta patch for dayz. Hes a JERK to talk to condescending u at every corner he can. Waited for 3 months to even get anti cheat support which NEVER came let alone been waiting 3 months for support of other maps ( Lingor Takistan Utes and Fallujah now) still havent gotten a single one. He doesnt even know how to write a bans file correctly he jumbles every guid up into one sentence with no spaces. I didnt even get battleye updates until i told him where to get the community ban list and scripts.txt remoteexec.txt and createvehicle.txt guy doesnt back anything up when updating our server he cant even change the motd hahahaha wow DONT GO THROUGH HOST ALTITUDE!!!!!!