WHAT21A

UK 206 Server Thread

I am a bit disappointed with all the updating and downdating with no warning...

Server was downgraded due to faults in 1.7.2.5 patch. Faults like: Spawning at beach every time, losing stuff every time, veichle ID's were wrong so cars would become bicycles and so on...

I am a bit disappointed with all the updating and downdating with no warning....I am new to DayZ and I know shit happens, but me and my friends had a few tents full of our stuff we'd been collecting over the past few days...upon the server downdate back to 1.7.2.4 all of that stuff had gone...and we did save the tents.

Also, it is incredibly annoying that when the server is updated/downdated we get spawned back on the coast...which our camp is nowhere near...because of this and because I had made the journey from the coast to the camp a good 3 times in a day...I got fed up and tried to bomb it through a rather silly route...being killed in the process....some may blame me for this because it was a silly route...but seriously...the same 40 min journey 3 times in 1 day? Just because of a reset? Not happy...

I understand that not much can be done for all the lost stuff...but I'm just saying that some sort of warning or maybe a safeguard (if possible) would make the experience better.

And if the person that killed me (AtomicTim) after I ran out of a barn is reading this...thanks ¬.¬

Sorry for this but there's not really much i can do if a new version is so full of problems that it ruin's the experience for all. The decision was made to revert back to the previous version because of game breaking bugs which you have stated and experienced yourself the spawning at the beach was caused by 1.7.2.5 not because the server swapped and changed version twice in 2 days.

Now that I've said this i hope you see that what was done was for the best of everyone that uses the server and i wouldn't have changed the way we handled it. If you want some advice it would be too keep as much on your character as possible so if these bugs do happen (and they will from time to time) you lose a minimal amount gear in the process.

Server is under attack by hackers since CET noon. Everything north of Elektrozavodsk is on "fire", server is probably also lag "hacked" because it takes around 20-30 to pick something from floor. I died twice by hacking, just dropped on grass, no shots fired. Guess we have to wait for What21a and see where to go next. If anyone else was included or knows who hacked, speak out or contact me on skype. TY :)

Pics from today:

http://www.upload.ee/image/2592708/arma2oa_2012-08-13_16-22-07-34.jpg

http://www.upload.ee/image/2592709/arma2oa_2012-08-13_16-21-01-25.jpg

http://www.upload.ee/image/2592716/arma2oa_2012-08-13_16-25-38-52.jpg

http://www.upload.ee/image/2592725/arma2oa_2012-08-13_16-31-13-99.jpg

http://www.upload.ee/image/2592827/fire1.jpg

• Like 1

Hope the hackers can be flushed out soon, for the sake of the server and the decent players we've encountered. I know the guys have been working hard to try to sort it out, so cheers guys!

My longest surviving character to date was shot today by someone who claims to own a small town (Barn and a couple of houses) on the North west road (just north of Shalka). After dealing with a pack of zombies he Direct Comm'd me telling me to lie down, etc. Made me aware of a couple of Zombies before asking me to put my primary weapon on the ground. Then to drop my pistol, then to drop my backpack, or die. When asked to drop the backpack I made a bid for escape and was gunned down. Got a plan for the next time I encounter this situation though :P

To be fair, it was a good shot on his part, though I prefer the tactic of "If you don't bother me, I wont bother you"

• Like 3

I agree with you there...I didnt like DayZ at first, because when i started playing it...it wasnt about surviving against the zombie horde...it was about killing each other....my view was that CoD players came on to try and just rambo everyone...not the point...I just hate the fact that every time someone sees a player, they shoot and kill them...just like in my earlier post where i was gunned downed after exiting a barn on my way back to my friends...the guy gave me no chance...if I had spotted him and he hadn't shot and just stayed in the bushes...i wouldn't have killed him...just not what it is ALL about in my view (defending yourself yes, gunning down in cold blood...no)

I once "friended" a stranger, once i turned my back on him, he shot me and robbed me of all my shit. I also once saved a guy with a crowbar from zombies, he then started hitting me in the back, we both died.

Now, I either avoid contact or shoot whoever i come upon, I'm not gonna be a "good guy" and keep getting punished for it, cuz I like my character alive and well-armed, not backstabbed and broke.

I once "friended" a stranger, once i turned my back on him, he shot me and robbed me of all my shit. I also once saved a guy with a crowbar from zombies, he then started hitting me in the back, we both died.

Now, I either avoid contact or shoot whoever i come upon, I'm not gonna be a "good guy" and keep getting punished for it, cuz I like my character alive and well-armed, not backstabbed and broke.

Exactly the stuff I experienced. People would kill you even if they dont have use of your death. Therefore I solved my little problem of this and I kill everyone on sight. I tried to be a good guy Greg with not killing unarmed players and even killing zombies for them when they got chased by them but now. Im rage!

Hacker attack at about 12:20 PM 14/08/2012 every player was teleported into the ocean...me and my friends aborted before anything more happened...if i spawn back in the ocean...I am gonna be really pissed

Edit: Well my friends logged back in and were in the ocean....this is absolute bullshit...why can't admins teleport players? Im very close to becoming a hacker for a day and teleporting myself back on land...

Edited by AtomicTim
  • Like 1

WHAT21A what would you do if you saw in the logs that I spawned a boat to take me back on land? Would you ban me for trying to get back on my feet from a hacker?

I haven't done any hacking so I am just asking if you would ban me...also, I WOULD NEVER USE THE HACK EVER AGAIN

Yep, you'd be banned just like the rest of the hackers. If you use one your just as bad as all the rest, i don't buy this i'll never hack again crap.

Im new to all this and i cant find a good server but i also dont know how to find this server as i always pick quick match so could someone help me out cos this sounds like a great server

Im new to all this and i cant find a good server but i also dont know how to find this server as i always pick quick match so could someone help me out cos this sounds like a great server

Well its OK because my friends and I swam...that was a long few hours :/

And I'm sure you don't buy it...but I'm never dishonest...jus sayin

I figured it out but i keep getting the message bad version, server rejected connection, even though i have the proper version

You most likely have an outdated beta build or no beta build at all. Do you use DayZ Commander to launch the game/join the server?

Yep, you'd be banned just like the rest of the hackers. If you use one your just as bad as all the rest, i don't buy this i'll never hack again crap.

That's pretty harsh. Hackers get off by causing others grief, those are the trolls of the internet community that come with every game, they just have way more power here. When you look at scripting as a whole in a game that is so fucked up even without the abusers, I think that scripting occasionally is acceptable(as long as you have self control and the script doesn't effect anyone but yourself). Harmless scripts like teleporting to your friends or getting something back after you were killed by a hacker are acceptable in my eyes. Saying that you will flat out ban someone for trying something like that is stupid, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Hacker spawned in a helicopter and flew over...didn't see me and my friend thank god :/

It must have been hacked because it came after all our tents disappeared...so I guess that was a map reset? And no-one could repair it in that time.

That's pretty harsh. Hackers get off by causing others grief, those are the trolls of the internet community that come with every game, they just have way more power here. When you look at scripting as a whole in a game that is so fucked up even without the abusers, I think that scripting occasionally is acceptable(as long as you have self control and the script doesn't effect anyone but yourself). Harmless scripts like teleporting to your friends or getting something back after you were killed by a hacker are acceptable in my eyes. Saying that you will flat out ban someone for trying something like that is stupid, in my opinion.

It may well be harsh but i don't have the patience with people who use scripts or any other types of hacks or cheats to determine whether there actions were for intended for use by themselves or against others, it's just too much work to even bother thinking about a hackers intentions. The easiest policy to have is zero tolerance which is also the only viable policy for this game because it is plagued by cheats and hackers, until that is rectified i stand by my policy.

Edited by WHAT21A
  • Like 1

It is harsh, because it's supposed to be harsh, zero tolerance for hacking is needed to eventually ever get rid of it. You don't combat hackers with hacks, even if it is simply teleporting yourself back. Suddently the wrong guy sees the hacker again, and decides that it'd be pretty innocent to kill him using hacks too.

You don't see companies such as Blizzard or Bioware allow people to hack their way through the hacker problems they encounter, at some point, how will the anti hacking system see the difference between a hacker and a - as you call it, "innocent" hacker - they are all hackers and deserves perma-bans.

The only advice i can give to people encountering hackers is to report them, avoid them and don't let them be a nuisance to you if you can avoid it, they'll get tired of it eventually. With nobody raging on them inside the game, as there is no chat, I don't see what gives them the satisfaction to keep going.

First off everyone needs to understand that this is a fucking ALPHA! The big companies like blizzard and bioware both dont give ANY FUCKS about hackers in their betas / alphas. I had been playing WoW since launch and every single expansion beta you see people fly hacking through BGs, wall hacking and much more. The reason is, its a beta. The anti cheat is almost non existent, the game is there for people to test it and give feedback based on what they experienced.

Now that being said, these hackers will not just disappear. As long as arma has a way to access the script there will always be the people who can and will abuse those powers. When the game is in alpha and everyone is primarily there to test and have fun, we shouldnt be like fucking scripter nazis and get all giddy with the ban hammer. Everyone should just relax, and try to understand that the hacking will stop but not in arma 2.

Now once the game goes standalone people can actually take it somewhat seriously. With all the stuff that happens on the sidelines, like duping, teleporting bugs, losing backpacks and whatever else arma 2's engine brings with it you seriously cant expect people to be serious about the game. So lets not get worked up over the hackers, yes they may teleport you for a deathmatch and you lose all your gear but honestly how bad is that? If all you tell me that you have the most fun in this game running around up north near your camps, then you should go play some diablo 3 because you are a loot whore. If not, your like me. I love gearing up, its what got me into the game in the first place. Running through the main citys with shots being fired around you and not knowing whether the next person you see will chop your head off with a hatchet or give you some beans. Thats the dayz that I fell for, not the hoarding fest it has become.

• Like 1

any idea whats happening to the server? it keeps going night time all of a sudden and then shortly after it goes down :|

Some hacker kept turning the server night so i restarted it, afaik all vehicles and tents are where they should be.