Sign in to follow this  
na85

Suggestion: Make silenced weapons more realistic

The idea that you can put a "silencer" on the end of your M9 or MP5 to change a loud BANG! into a barely-audible "pew" is laughable.

In real life, there is no such thing as a "silencer". In real life, we have what are called suppressors that reduce muzzle flash and the sound of the weapon firing. Another major effect is that the sound of a suppressed weapon is very difficult to localize.

Most suppressors bring the noise down to the 130-140dB range, which is about as loud as a jet engine 100 feet away from you.

In fact, the quietest gun ever made was the British De Lisle carbine, and it fired at ~85dB. 85 deciBels is about as loud as someone playing the trombone. Think about that for a second. Possibly the quietest gun ever made, and it's still as loud as a brass instrument.

By contrast, what we know as a "silencer" is entirely fiction. It's a creation of Hollywood, and the idea that you can attach a small can to your gun to instantly make it go "pew pew pew" and be completely inaudible to a person standing 10 feet away is absurd.

DayZ is a game about realism, so let's make the weapons more realistic.

• Like 16

I'd like to see this, though I doubt it'll happen. People still think true weapon silencing is a real thing.

In-game it is a bit inaccurate, but a suppressed weapon firing subsonic ammunition is indeed fairly "quiet" compared to normal ammunition and a non-suppressed weapon. Problem then is that subsonic ammunition usually is too underpowered to properly cycle the weapon, so you have to manually charge the weapon each time after firing.

But yes, in DayZ they could possibly increase the volume and also increase the "footprint" of the sound being created, making it much harder to pinpoint the source.

Depends on the bullet and gun. Subsonic rounds can be significantly reduced in sound to close to the pew pew you hear in movies. What makes the most noise is the release of the gas at the end of the chamber acting like a cork when it pops off. Adding baffels muffle it significantly either way but its really all in the ammo used.

• Like 1

If you can come up with a way to have the game model the disorienting ballistic crack from subsonic rounds so that it isn't possible to tell where it came from then OK. Otherwise, just deal with the current implementation, as it is the only fair way to do it.

Beans for you because you understand surpressors and that they are still super fucking loud.

Also yes this should happen because this game is suppose to be realistic after all.

Depends on the bullet and gun. Subsonic rounds can be significantly reduced in sound to close to the pew pew you hear in movies. What makes the most noise is the release of the gas at the end of the chamber acting like a cork when it pops off. Adding baffels muffle it significantly either way but its really all in the ammo used.

Only firearm set up that I know of that can make the super quite gun shot sound similar to those in movies is a suppressed 22 or maybe integrally surpressed 22 or using those rounds that hae no powder inside them instead they are propelled only by the primer. But those i hear barely can kill squirrels.

• Like 1

If you can come up with a way to have the game model the disorienting ballistic crack from subsonic rounds so that it isn't possible to tell where it came from then OK. Otherwise, just deal with the current implementation, as it is the only fair way to do it.

It'd be pretty easy to just have all the speakers play the sound equally, as opposed to localizing it to a particular channel for that directional aspect.

Debatable.

Regardless of this fact, though, the real-life M9 and MP5 are still super loud, even when suppressors are fitted. DayZ doesn't feature special ultra-quiet guns. It features standard military weapons with standard suppressors, and these are still as loud as a rock concert.

Edited by na85

I'd like to see this, though I doubt it'll happen. People still think true weapon silencing is a real thing.

People beleive that weapons are Whisper quiet because of movie silencers.

Beans for the idea but It'll never get implemented.

Pretty sad fact. I see the realism argument get thrown around a lot on these forums. Usually it's to rebut suggestions that would make the game "easier".

Well, this would make it harder, and also much less silly.

from what I know the ArmA2 silenced weapons can be heard from quite a distance by other players as confirmed by my team mates (I myself use M4).. only the infected are completely ignorant of the sound

also these weapons use specialized ammunition so it's not just attaching a "silencer"

I support more realistic suppressed weapons in principle. However, almost everything's report doesn't carry as far as it should. If we're going down this road, .30 cal and up rifles should also be audible across almost half the map depending on terrain.

... model the disorienting ballistic crack from subsonic rounds ...

... .30 cal and up rifles should also be audible across almost half the map depending on terrain....

Man... can you imagine how awesome DayZ, MW(x) and BF(x) would be if they made the weapon reports realistic? Wearing hearing protection on the battlefield sn't very wise, and guns are very loud... Maybe whenever you fire your own (non-suppressed) weapon, it makes that ringing-in-your-ears sound similar to when you get flashbanged, muffles other noises, and then fades back in quickly after. Sustained fire would cause the ringing to persist a little while longer.

Sorry for the slight detour from the topic on hand.. but that's something I've wanted in a realistic shooter for a while, ever since getting wasted and shooting a .22 revolver at glass bottles full of gasoline in my buddy's back yard... Shit was loud.

• Like 1

Listen to this:

(.22 cal M4 supressed, you cannot hear it AT ALL), there's plenty of videos out there that show that a number of guns can be supressed. Not hi-cal of course.

(.22 cal M4 supressed, you cannot hear it AT ALL), there's plenty of videos out there that show that a number of guns can be supressed. Not hi-cal of course.

Here's the thing.

A .22 caliber round is the small and isn't a standard infantry round.

Military issue M4's use 5.56 ammo and they are loud as fuck even with suppressors.

[url=

]
[/url[/media] Edited by ThatGuyCalledReptile

Listen to this:

The mic beng used and the speaker you have make a huge difference between real life sound and that sound. Odds are that gun is still louder then a jack hammer break apart a road. 22 lr is a small round sure but it's still loud.

Ive owned 2 rifles both rifles I had double ears on well practicing with them and I could still hear them putting clearly, even the guys shooting 22 lr I could hear from like 5 lanes down.

Personally I think they should have the volume in game set were if you can hear zombies and foot steps, and you fire a gun you go feel a some pain from you hears getting blasted.

People really have no idea how loud guns are until they have actually fired one, he'll even with ear protection you can still get hearing damage through prolonged used.

/signed

even a shotgun can get silenced !

well not really silence but it is below the level you do not need sound protection ^^

but if we going to get silencer to silence, also give them the backdraw with a silencer also

/signed

even a shotgun can get silenced !

well not really silence but it is below the level you do not need sound protection ^^

but if we going to get silencer to silence, also give them the backdraw with a silencer also

I cried.

A silenced light pistol is real mistakable. Someone may think it was an animal or a rustling in the woods or something. Not all silencers are created equal.

Le Sigh.

http://upload.wikime...man_Hearing.svg

The above link is a typical equal-loudness curve for the human ear (also called a countour).

As I hope anyone can see, a sound with a frequency of ~16 hertz and ~80 dB would be as perceptible to a human as a sound at ~1000 hertz and ~0 dB db (that means a soundwave at 16 hertz with 100 million times more power behind it sounds as loud as as a soundwave at ~1000 he).

From this I hope it is abundantly clear that it is meaningless tripe to throw dB levels around when talking about how loud a silencer realistically is without accurate frequency plots of the resultant noise.

• Like 2

A silenced light pistol is real mistakable. Someone may think it was an animal or a rustling in the woods or something. Not all silencers are created equal.

Ever actually fired a silenced pistol? I have. Definitely doesn't sound like a fucking animal rustling through the woods.

Le Sigh.

http://upload.wikime...man_Hearing.svg

The above link is a typical equal-loudness curve for the human ear (also called a countour).

As I hope anyone can see, a sound with a frequency of ~16 hertz and ~80 dB would be as perceptible to a human as a sound at ~1000 hertz and ~0 dB db (that means a soundwave at 16 hertz with 100 million times more power behind it sounds as loud as as a soundwave at ~1000 he).

From this I hope it is abundantly clear that it is meaningless tripe to throw dB levels around when talking about how loud a silencer realistically is without accurate frequency plots of the resultant noise.

Those plots are only valid for pure, steady tones. A percussive blast is an impulse, and contains many many frequencies. Learn your shit before trying to sound smart.

Hmm I agree not all silencers and guns are equal but if u watch myth busters on they did an episode on this subject.

And (while I can't remember which handgun they used) they did suppress the sound down to the pew pew you hear in the movies.

Now that's obviously not gonna work with a larger rifle and round but still