Thanks for fast reply Baka. I'm in Pulkovo right now and heading to Zelenegorsk supermarket to look for matches. Any tips about this place?

Scout out in the forest to the SW of town. You should be able to see the supermarket just outside town. Get in, look for matches and get out. It's a bigger city, but there aren't really any good spawns in it aside from the market. Also make sure to hit up the barn to the South.

If you still need matches after Zeleno, head further North to Pustoska and Vybor. They both have markets, and the spawns reset during travel time back and forth resets the spawns, if no one else is around, so you can run back and forth between the two until you get matches. There isn't a lot of cover between the cities however, so make sure to move erratically and keep your ears and eyes open. The area to the West of those two also has 4 deer stands you can check for military guns.

Edited by HerrJon
  • Like 1

You have my beans good sir. DON'T GET TOO COCKY WITH WEAPONS 1) most of the time sneaking is better 2) other players can hear you clearing an area.

Good luck!

Ok. I got to Zelenogorsk supermarket, avoiding hordes of zombies and checking out the green mountain on my way there. So i'll start from the beginning.

It was dusk when I got to the Green Mountain because of it's military looting spots. I got to all three deer stands, gathered some loot (ACU backpack being the best :) ), and then I approached the radio tower. A large group of military zeds walked through the gate, so I waited and crawled inside. I couldn't find a way to enter any building, but I found something looking like a mass grave. All of the sudden a new group of zombies spawned from the southern building. Somehow I avoided them and climbed to the tower. There - a jerry can of no use to me. I look down and saw the group coming out by the gate and - suddenly - they all started running. First I thought they somehow noticed me when I stood up to get a better look, but they ran towards the woods. I look with my newly find binoculars for someone. Nothing. The zeds became calm again, so I climbed down and got away.

On my way to Zeleno I checked out the barn, but nothing interesting in there (seriously, 4 hatchets and a lee enfield rifle). I refilled my canteen by the pond and went west, using trees as a concealment. I checked out the industrial buildings, but found nothing useful (windscreen and car wheels? come on...). Then I crawled to the supermarket. I've entered unnoticed and found lots of food. Having my backpack full of beans, I looked further for the matches. A crossbow? Nah. Binoculars times 3? Nah. Two hunting knives? Nah. A watch? Nah. I've searched the whole damn place and there was no single box of matches. Getting out by the backdoor I was somehow noticed by one zombie. I ran back to the supermarket, being too loud.

A SWARM of zombies started entering the damn place from both entrances, giving me no chance to leave the place unharmed. I looked at the wide windows, but was unsure if they were breakable and had no idea if I'll make it to the barn up the hill. So I've decided to hold my ground.

It was like the frickin Alamo. Pew! Headshot. Pew! Headshot. Another one got to me from the other side and hit me. I turned 180 and shot 4 rounds into his chest. Then I turned again and found that they were almost at my feet. Knowing that I don't have much ammo, I didn't switched my M4a1 to auto and kept it semi-automatic. I got hit a couple more times and started bleeding. So I ran through their ranks to the other end of the store and started bandaging myself. Just in the moment my wound was dressed and I finished them off. I've looted all 19 corpses to find... another beans and a bandage. And lots of empty tin cans obviously.

I left Zeleno without being noticed again. It may sound stupid, but if I haven't killed that guy in the woods the other day, I wouldn't have a silenced M4a1. I would have to defend myself with the Enfield rifle, what would probably alarm all the zeds in the city, leaving me bleeding, out of bullets and being tortured by the zombies' sharp claws for a couple of minutes.

So, another Q to you guys. Where should I look now for the matches? I have to say, that I'm not interested in server hopping and coming back there, as I see it "not cool".

EDIT: An advice on getting more 5,56 STANAG rounds for silenced gun would be also most appreciated.

EDIT2: Just noticed HerrJon reply. I guess I'll go to Pustoshka for the matches and deer stands for ammo.

Edited by atre88

Hi Atre :thumbsup: Old timer gamer here too. Drives you crazy but you can't help coming back. I love this damned game. :beans:

• Like 1

For me, I really enjoy the gameplay. Not so much enjoying the errors though. But it's still in alpha so it was expected.

Hi Atre :thumbsup: Old timer gamer here too. Drives you crazy but you can't help coming back. I love this damned game. :beans:

Hi Sula. Compared to you (gaming since 1986) I'm a rather a newbie gamer :). Love this game too. Can't wait until it gets standalone, bugfree and cheater-free (haven't seen one, but the stories give me creeps :P)

Edited by atre88

don't be afraid of dying, it's full of murderers outthere but you'll always get satisfing hours..

don't be afraid of dying, it's full of murderers outthere but you'll always get satisfing hours..

Well, it's a zombie apocalypse survival game. Not being afraid of dying would mean no fun and excitement. This is why I always play on populated servers.

It's these kinds of stories that are the best.

I started two days ago as well. I've died five times but for the past day I've been on a single character. I'm finally climbing my way up the ladder of success and I got my M4A1 Holo/Underslung320.

• Like 1

Ok. I got to Zelenogorsk supermarket, avoiding hordes of zombies and checking out the green mountain on my way there. So i'll start from the beginning.

It was dusk when I got to the Green Mountain because of it's military looting spots. I got to all three deer stands, gathered some loot (ACU backpack being the best :) ), and then I approached the radio tower. A large group of military zeds walked through the gate, so I waited and crawled inside. I couldn't find a way to enter any building, but I found something looking like a mass grave. All of the sudden a new group of zombies spawned from the southern building. Somehow I avoided them and climbed to the tower. There - a jerry can of no use to me. I look down and saw the group coming out by the gate and - suddenly - they all started running. First I thought they somehow noticed me when I stood up to get a better look, but they ran towards the woods. I look with my newly find binoculars for someone. Nothing. The zeds became calm again, so I climbed down and got away.

On my way to Zeleno I checked out the barn, but nothing interesting in there (seriously, 4 hatchets and a lee enfield rifle). I refilled my canteen by the pond and went west, using trees as a concealment. I checked out the industrial buildings, but found nothing useful (windscreen and car wheels? come on...). Then I crawled to the supermarket. I've entered unnoticed and found lots of food. Having my backpack full of beans, I looked further for the matches. A crossbow? Nah. Binoculars times 3? Nah. Two hunting knives? Nah. A watch? Nah. I've searched the whole damn place and there was no single box of matches. Getting out by the backdoor I was somehow noticed by one zombie. I ran back to the supermarket, being too loud.

A SWARM of zombies started entering the damn place from both entrances, giving me no chance to leave the place unharmed. I looked at the wide windows, but was unsure if they were breakable and had no idea if I'll make it to the barn up the hill. So I've decided to hold my ground.

It was like the frickin Alamo. Pew! Headshot. Pew! Headshot. Another one got to me from the other side and hit me. I turned 180 and shot 4 rounds into his chest. Then I turned again and found that they were almost at my feet. Knowing that I don't have much ammo, I didn't switched my M4a1 to auto and kept it semi-automatic. I got hit a couple more times and started bleeding. So I ran through their ranks to the other end of the store and started bandaging myself. Just in the moment my wound was dressed and I finished them off. I've looted all 19 corpses to find... another beans and a bandage. And lots of empty tin cans obviously.

I left Zeleno without being noticed again. It may sound stupid, but if I haven't killed that guy in the woods the other day, I wouldn't have a silenced M4a1. I would have to defend myself with the Enfield rifle, what would probably alarm all the zeds in the city, leaving me bleeding, out of bullets and being tortured by the zombies' sharp claws for a couple of minutes.

So, another Q to you guys. Where should I look now for the matches? I have to say, that I'm not interested in server hopping and coming back there, as I see it "not cool".

EDIT: An advice on getting more 5,56 STANAG rounds for silenced gun would be also most appreciated.

EDIT2: Just noticed HerrJon reply. I guess I'll go to Pustoshka for the matches and deer stands for ammo.

You can only find more silenced rounds in deer stands and military spawns. Stary Sobor and the Northwest Airfield have them in bulk, but you will likely take a .50 to the head trying to get into either of those places on a populated server. Stick to dear stands, or visit smaller military complexes like the tents in Berezino or the northeast airfield.

As for matches, supermarkets really are your best bet. I find matches in them about 20% of the time. You can also find matches in any residential spawn, which are all over the map, but your chances are much lower.

As for other players:

1. If I'm playing solo and I've just started out, I am friendly, trying to get close and establish contact for temporary teaming up. I am also friendly if I've been alive for a while, but all my goods are stashed in my bus.

2. If I'm playing solo but I am well geared, I avoid other players entirely. They will likely kill me for my loot, especially my night vision and my sniper rifle. If I see an injured survivor, or someone being chased by zombies, I will assist them from a distance and ask if they need help. If they have a gun, I demand that they drop it before I will give a blood transfusion or morphine. If they refuse to drop the gun, I kill them and move on.

3. If I'm playing with my group, we are friendly down south but kill on sight up north. Can't take any chances, since folks up there are usually both experienced and hostile.

After you have played for a while, you'll develop your own system of how to handle other survivors. And once you establish your protocols, you will break them over and over as other players test your patience with rampant D-baggery and/or surprise you with kindness. :)

• Like 2

Atre, you're showing all the signs of a successful player. You got sniped and it's a shock. It does hurt, not just because of what you gathered but because your efforts were reduced down to nothing but a bullet to some other player and that's lousy. But you grit your teeth and get right back out there. :thumbsup:

A newest update on my adventures. I almost got to Pustoshka supermarket, but with a lot of pain taken on my way there. And no, I'm not talking about one single zed encounter.

I've left Zelenogorsk, heading north to the woods. I entered a black house right before entering the forest. Guess what - a box of matches. Not a single one in the supermarket the other day, I've found what I looked for in a simple residential building. My luck. I still needed some ammo and other useful stuff, so I've decided to continue my journey to Pustoshka. I've approached Sosnovka to check out the tool shed, but decided to leave. Too large open area to risk life for a considerably small loot. So I went back into the woods with an idea of getting to the barn north west of Myshkino.

After half an hour of walk I realised myself that something was wrong. The terrain I saw sorrounding me didn't matched topography of the map. I realised I was... lost. Not having a better idea, I slaughtered a cow and a goat which were eating their grass peacefully. I gathered the meat and started a fire. Right after the meat was cooked, I put out the fire. Hoping nobody noticed me, I ate all the meat I couldn't carry and got my blood to 11500. With my stomach full and belongings gathered I continued my march looking further for some landmarks.

The evening was close and I've noticed first stars. Before that I've tried to tell where the west was basing on the position of the Sun, but it was impossible due to lots of hills around me. So I started looking for Ursa Major. Not being sure if what I found was in fact this constellation I asked my gf (who is an astronomy geek) if I was right. She confirmed. Following the Polaris I found the way out and... lucky again. I got out of the woods *exactly* at the place. In front of the barn. One can of beans inside. Not being able to carry more, I ate it right away. Then ventured in to the woods again and went sleep in a safe distance.

Tomorrow I'm hitting all the deer stands nearby and then - the Pustoshka supermarket.

After this adventure I realised I was very lucky to find my way thanks to the stars and my dad, who taught me long years ago how to find the Polaris (and thanks to my gf, who confirmed my finding :*). But I have to ask you guys - how the hell do I find north next time, if i can't see the stars because of clouds? I have a watch, so finding the right direction basing on the Sun's position is a piece of cake. So, once again: how do I find north in the night, if I can't see the stars?

Edited by atre88
  • Like 1

Hi atre,

Loving these stories, they (and others like it) are a part of the reason I just bought Arma2:co.

Anyhow having only played for roughly 45 minutes. In that time I wandered around a forest only to return to very near where I spawned next to a railway line and beach. I saw no one (including zeds) and fell to my death trying to climb down rocks to the train track.

The fact that I died made me check on here and I think you can get a compass, which would certainly have made my death occur further from my spawn haha. I will try again this evening and see if I can last longer and maybe see a building at least.

Cheers

Edited by TheBeardedDoom

Phew. And I thought sneaking through the Balota airfield while several people with a civilian URAL were loading up spare parts, or being chased by a crazy axeman from just outside the same all the way to the Cherno supermarket (I won the fight, amazingly) was alarming!

Keep fighting the good fight, you crazy survivor, you. I expect to read more in the future.

Hello again Atre.

Sometimes you just get lucky like that. I've seen a commentary where a guy finds two matches and a rifle in a log cabin. Glad you got what you were looking for. It sucks to get lost in the forest, can't tell you how many times that has happened before.

North at night? Hope you get a compass and/or gps, otherwise use the general position of the moon. If you can see the movement of the clouds, they always move from west to east, but some consider this unrealistic and ignore this method in order to stay immersed. GPS spawn in military but are rare (less than 1/5 a percent) and compasses are found in residential, about 1%-2% almost everywhere (residential). I would definately recommend hitting Pustoska for a compass, but if that doesn't pan out, there is an office building in Vybor, across the street from the supermarket there. Again, traveling there directly can be dangerous, being flat and baron, so you can ether sprint near the main road or travel in the forest to the west of it until you get just South of Lopatino, then you can find a nice big hill just north of Vybor to scope out your area and plan a route. It overlooks the supermarket area, for quick, focused raids.

If I'm leading you into an area you don't want to go, feel free to ignore me. I realise Vybor is a stone's throw away from NW Airfield, but if you're smart and careful, it can give you some nice, non-military loot. The Pustoshka/Vybor area is where I tend to hang around when playing solo hunter/gatherer, and it hasn't let me down so far. Two supermarkets, an office building, plenty of deer stands, and farmland to the east for easy cow hunting. But your the survior, you go where you see most fit.

Thanks for replies guys!

So, the clouds *always* move west to east? How stupid is that, seriously? I'd rather look for a compass and some other useful stuff in Pustoshka. I also have to go there to replenish my canteen - my canned drink supplies won't last forever. I'll soon decide what to do, as in fact I'd rather avoid hot-spots like the NW airfield.

Now I've got to go to work, but stay tuned for another report in the afternoon :).

Alright. I was out of town for a couple of days and couldn't play my fav Arma II mod ;). Today I made a trip: Pustoshka-Vybor-Veresnik hill-Stary Sobor.

I've looted Pustoshka's, Vybor's and Stary Sobor's supermarkets with no luck finding the compass. Larger residential buildings (including the office block in Vybor) didn't gave me one too. The only interesting things I came upon there were two more canteens - now I don't need to carry any canned drinks :).

Checking the deer stands near Veresnik got me an AKM - I got rid of all my coke and placed it in my ALICE backpack as a backup gun.

While I was in Stary Sobor I've decided to head to the tents. I knew I was risking a lot - according to your tips it was a hot-spot for bandits. I've checked to area around with my binoculars but couldn't see any activity. So I went there to scavange the tents. I was hoping for some super-duper stuff or at least some magazines for my M4. The only thing I took from these tents was Glock17 with a couple of clips. Still better than the colt.

Crawling out of the town, heading south-west I've seen a sudden movement. Another survivor, sprinting through Stary Sobor and getting chased by more and more zeds. After a few seconds of observation I found that he was in trouble - zombies literally swarmed him, but he somehow got to this large industrial hall. A horde of zeds followed him upstairs, I heard shooting (sounded like the Lee Enfield to me).

I've made my decision to go there quickly and help him. I shot a couple of them from a large distance and then rushed upstairs, clearly saying that I was going to help him out. When I got upstairs, I finished the last zeds standing and... found no one in there. No body, no living person. I thought "maybe he got away with the ladder at the other side of the hall", but I couldn't see him from there. No movement near the tents, nor in town. He just disappeared.

I made my way out of there. I used almost a whole clip of .22 to help this guy, got nothing from it. Not a "thank you", not a bullet to my head. Nothing.

On my way south I bumbed into a... tent. Geez, I really didn't noticed it until it was right under my feet. Excited, I checked the contents. Empty. Then I left for the nearest pond, having some kind of a castle behind me.

More q's to you guys:

- Is finding a compass always a pain in the arse?

- Is finding anything useful (other than a pile of AK's) in Stary Sobor military tents possible?

- How do I use the Glock's flashlight?

- What happened to this guy I encountered in Stary Sobor? If he got killed by zeds, did he turned into one or what?

- If I ever decide to help someone in a similar situation, how do I tell them I'm going to help? When I first seen him he was like 350 metres away. Even when I was right downstairs, I got no reply from him (I thought he's too occupied saving his life...).

- What are your experiences in helping people in this kind of dangerous situations? Have you made any friends that way? Did they thank you? Or did they shot you in the back when the zeds were gone?

Edited by atre88
  • Like 1

That's a shame, I just found 3 compasses in my last Cherno run, but only grabbed the one. Granted I only found 1 in the apartments and found 2 off a dead body, but still. I can run mine up to you if you really needed one.

As for Stary, like any other loot, it just comes down to luck. I know the one time I made it to NW Airfield, all I came out with is an AKM. And the guy in Stary, he probably alt+f4'd. I wouldn't bother being friendly up North, much less in Stary. If you do want to communicate with them, you have to be less than 100m away from them I believe and hope they pay attention. I once had to say "respond or I will shoot" to get a guy to come out so I could heal him. Sign of kindness also helps such as killing Zeds and other players, just don't shoot near them, they'll take that as aggression. Even if they respond you have to be careful, he can very easily be lining up a shot, or letting his sniper buddy line up a shot.

Sounds like you're near Zub castle, I'd check it out for your compass, it has been pretty good to me in the past.

Lovin the stories atre, sounds like you're covering quite a lot of ground! I too have never found a compass in this game. I did once get given a map though (along with an M4A1 and a ghillie suit!), from a friendly guy at a castle in the east, can't remember it's name though.

I had a very interesting encounter not long after being given that stuff. For some reason I decided to head back to the coast and follow the road south. Sticking to the bushes I noticed a truck parked on the road further up. Being suspicious I started crouching/crawling my way closer and when I was about 100m away I saw there was a guy standing next to it. He wasn't moving, perhaps he was checking it's gear or something. I crawled up closer, looking around to see if he was alone. He was. I was beginning to line him up for a headshot to steal his truck when BANG! Someone else also in a ghillie did the exact same thing from 40m behind me.

Shocked by what had just happened and not wanting to take this guy on in a firefight (I'm still a bit of a noob at PC gaming) I watched him sprint over and drive off in the truck! Dead guy had some pretty nice loot, but still no compass! :P

Not sure if I learnt anything from that encounter but I know that if I'd shot the truck guy first I would've got popped as well!

More q's to you guys:

- Is finding a compass always a pain in the arse?

- Is finding anything useful (other than a pile of AK's) in Stary Sobor military tents possible?

- How do I use the Glock's flashlight?

- What happened to this guy I encountered in Stary Sobor? If he got killed by zeds, did he turned into one or what?

- If I ever decide to help someone in a similar situation, how do I tell them I'm going to help? When I first seen him he was like 350 metres away. Even when I was right downstairs, I got no reply from him (I thought he's too occupied saving his life...).

- What are your experiences in helping people in this kind of dangerous situations? Have you made any friends that way? Did they thank you? Or did they shot you in the back when the zeds were gone?

1) Compass's are usually the first thing I find in chern before I head north.

2) Ak's are very common there, but I have found a cz and some other stuff, m16's etc.

3) Press L, It only works at night time.

4) It is most likely he alt f4'd to escape after being over run.

5) Just say something over direct come if you have a mic, if not, when they start seeing you kill the zombie for them, they get he gist.. usually..

6) Ever since way back when they removed bandit skins, every. Single. Encounter, with another player has resulted in my death. Now, it has caused me to become a massive cold hearted dick. Unless I don't see you first, you will die, if you pose a threat on me. Dependant on weather or not you call out or I call out, I usually do from behind something and if you don't reply... well seya. Sorry for the alte reply, my laptop ran out of battery while at school.

Thanks for replies guys :). I got my compass! Now I've got everything I need to survive in the wilderness. Unfortunately - I don't quite find it fun. During this "life" I encountered other player two times. And it gave me the most thrills.

My current loadout:

- Alice pack

- Lots of cooked meat

- 3 water canteens

- Basic medical supplies - painkillers, heatpack, bandages

- Map, compass, watch, hunting knife, hatchet, matches

- M4 w/ silencer (+ 5 clips)

- AKM (+4 clips)

- Glock 17 (+5 clips)

What possibly could I look for? Everything that comes to my mind is going for more advanced medical supplies, but going to Cherno/Elektro seems a suicide.

• Like 1

You need some morphine or you're gonna get stuck with broken legs, lol. The hospital at Berezino's a much safer bet than Cherno or Elektro deathmatch zones. Might be able to find yourself some camo clothing or a ghillie in the apartments over there too.

Other than that just the rare stuff - GPS, night vision, etc.

Edited by mZLY

Welcome to DayZ...if we ever meet I will pass you on some Beanz :D

AJ