TheMachine

Standalone by September? No chance

I recall rocket saying he thought he'd push out a standalone version of the game by September this year.

To this I say - not a fucking chance.

Rocket needs to start being realistic about what's happening with DayZ (or even just start telling us what's happening from time to time).

I can tell you now though, most people won't pay for a standalone game with servers that are so unregulated, when you need to wait 5-10 minutes just to get past the loading screen into one.

I'd put the standalone release of dayz sometime towards the end of 2013, at best.

• Like 3

Actually, what he said was "I dont see why it wont be standalone by the end of the year, if not by me, then by someone else" Hint hint, War Z.

He was very smart using that set of words ;)

Edited by Suspenselol
  • Like 1

I don't claim to know anything about game development, nor the process of transitioning a mod to a stand-alone product, but I don't think it's a leap in logic to speculate that the only real roadblocks would be a. Licencing an/the engine and b. Replacing all the Bohemia-owned assets (models, skins, etc.) with in-house ones.

The mod could be ported to standalone as-is if it was free from Bohemia's assets, right?

i dunno, i think it depends on the kind of support he gets. if it's on the arma 2 engine, he's already about three months deep into development. if he's got a team of BI vets on it, it'll go faster since they made the engine. alternatively if he's got arma 2 mod vets on it, that'd make things go faster too. plus if he's using the minecraft model, it doesn't have to be a completely finalized super polished version, just the first release with more polished ones to follow. i'd say it's possible, but only time will tell.

if they will use A2 Engine than better to not release it at all... :|

if they will use A2 Engine than better to not release it at all... :|

Didn't Rocket say at Rezzed that it's a good engine and that he just needs more control over it to make it work right?

How can he use the Arma 3 engine before the end of the year if arma 3 isn't released until way the fuck knows when?

How many of you assumed that by it being called Alpha, there would be a Beta and a Final release on the engine we paid money for?

Yeah, me too.

Fuck you BI.

How can he use the Arma 3 engine before the end of the year if arma 3 isn't released until way the fuck knows when?

The engine itself could be done already. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines went gold with the Source engine before Half Life 2.

But it's all speculation at this point and is pretty much useless.

You see, I used the words "My guess".

The Arma 3 engine could be very much almost done and we just being kept in the dark.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a392296/day-z-going-standalone-in-september-adopting-minecraft-model.html

Just a quick browse. I didn't go through the article any further than:

I would hope that we have something out by September," he told Digital Spy at PC gaming expo Rezzed.

aye that's what I thought. having "something out by september" is very different to having the full thing out by september.

Why do people assume that the standalone release will be a full final game ?

Rocket said he wanted something similar to Minecraft, i.e it will release as standalone ALPHA.

What we don't know really is "what engine ?".

Most chances that he will use ArmA 2 or ArmA 3 assets, as it would take a much longer time to create new ones.

I recall rocket saying he thought he'd push out a standalone version of the game by September this year.

To this I say - not a fucking chance.

Rocket needs to start being realistic about what's happening with DayZ (or even just start telling us what's happening from time to time).

I can tell you now though, most people won't pay for a standalone game with servers that are so unregulated, when you need to wait 5-10 minutes just to get past the loading screen into one.

I'd put the standalone release of dayz sometime towards the end of 2013, at best.

Oh look, yet another person who thinks they speak for me.

Newsflash. You don't.

I will be buying the standalone version.

I also like how you know what rockets been up to, perhaps he should check around his house to make sure no one's been stalking him.

• Like 1

The engine itself could be done already. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines went gold with the Source engine before Half Life 2.

But it's all speculation at this point and is pretty much useless.

Probably not the best example, the Bloodlines early build Source engine was in such a terrible state it makes Arma 2s engine look like poetry in motion.

Probably not the best example, the Bloodlines early build Source engine was in such a terrible state it makes Arma 2s engine look like poetry in motion.

I was thinking that as I was writing it. If DayZ does go standalone on the ArmA 3 engine who knows what a shitpile it'll be. :D

This is just a guess, but Real Virtuality 4 is probably either done and stable or near done and stable enough to start building a stand alone game on. Also, it's a safe guess, that the new art and script assets are already in place and since maps and content are being built for ARMA 3, and those assets are available to Rocket.

Based on those guesses, it makes pretty good sense, considering the relationship between Rocket and BI, and the tons of cash he has just made them...that they may be starting talks or done talking and have a deal already set in place that is allowing DayZ to already be developing a stand alone game on their new engine and using their assets, or near ready to do so.

Since we know he loves the Minecraft model, and that all the artwork and assets are already done by BI, and more than likely already work 100% in RV4, or will with very little effort...I don't see September as too out of bounds.

I don't know BI, or Rocket, and I am new to ARMA, but people being people...I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Dean Hall, an employee of BI, has been moved over to a new project, a stand alone game built on RV4 and using already constructe art assets and script for ARMA3. That he and his new team are working out game play and creating new, game specific assets and that he and BI will release a stand alone game using the Minecraft economic model. Infact, I wouldn't be surprised if the ONLY decision they have left to conclude is whether DayZ will be a stand alone BI product released with a pay to play Alpha model...or a final finished Dayz mod release with ARMA3.

I for one would rather it as a stand alone game.

Do keep in mind those are just my best guesses based on interviews and my experience with humans.

Out

• Like 2

I was thinking more that there's no way in hell he's using anything other then Arma2/3 engine if he's calling it that soon.

Or he talking out his ass. Either way enough attention has been called to this type of game that somebody will make a standalone title, someday. Hopefully sooner rather then later.