Razumen

Tent Maintenance to prevent de-spawning?

Right now I believe tents despawn in 48 hours if the character that erected it dies. Now while that certainly does give you enough time to get back to it and grab your stuff, I think it would be nice if you could reclaim that tent as yours and thus prevent it from despawning. This would rely on you visiting your tent once in a while to keep it in good condition, much like one would in real life.

Hell, even just being able to pick up your previous tent and replace it to prevent de-spawning would be nice.

Is that feature even working? There's been a tent where the owner died over a week ago that's still active.

In regards to refreshing tents, I'm not sure what Rocket's goal with this was in the first place. Tent de-spawning certainly makes death much more consequential though.

I would oppose for two reasons - one primary, one secondary.

Primarily, I feel this slowly erodes the penalty for death and thus the sense of risk and fear players feel in the game. If you have always have a tent waiting for you to return to, the penalty for death essentially boils down to the time it takes you to run back to your tent and re-equip. Populations in CHERN and ELEC would slowly dwindle as newly spawning players no longer rely on these centers to re-equip, they simply run to their tent. Death should be loss. It should be tragedy and loneliness and disappointment and frustration and desperation and regret and longing. It has to be all these things so the very sound of a zombie groan strikes fear into your heart and chills your bones. If death is just a short run back to your tent, who cares anymore?

Secondarily, this would mean servers would very slowly but inevitably become populated by literally thousands of tents. Tents. Literally. Everywhere.

Except people can already do that, except they have a limited time to do so before their tent disappears. The same thing is possible with corpses, should corpses instantly dissapear once you die as well? Also, tents are rare enough, so I think that your fears are both unfounded and misplaced.

What I'm suggesting is that tents can be reclaimed, stopping the hard set 48-hour de-spawn timer BUT still requiring players to revisit it every so often otherwise it WILL eventually de-spawn for good (Right now the de-spawn timer doesn't start until your char dies). This doesn't lessen the penalty of death because tents are not some magical re-supply item; everything that you've stored in a tent you've gotten from somewhere else, and the items you've had on you when you died still remain on your corpse, they don't magically respawn in your tent.

I would oppose for two reasons - one primary' date=' one secondary.

Primarily, I feel this slowly erodes the penalty for death and thus the sense of risk and fear players feel in the game. If you have always have a tent waiting for you to return to, the penalty for death essentially boils down to the time it takes you to run back to your tent and re-equip. Populations in CHERN and ELEC would slowly dwindle as newly spawning players no longer rely on these centers to re-equip, they simply run to their tent. Death should be loss. It should be tragedy and loneliness and disappointment and frustration and desperation and regret and longing. It has to be all these things so the very sound of a zombie groan strikes fear into your heart and chills your bones. If death is just a short run back to your tent, who cares anymore?

Secondarily, this would mean servers would very slowly but inevitably become populated by literally thousands of tents. Tents. Literally. Everywhere.

[/quote']

You do realize that there is more and more people buying a second key of OA and now playing with two chars right? Hell, i would do that, a primary char, and a secondery guardian char that has his own tent. If my mai char dies, i just go to the tent of my secondary more attent char.

In some ways this is a exploit, but there is nothing it can be do about. Maybe not allowing same IP logging with different GUID in a server? Still tis can be easily burled. We may as well just accept allow 2 chars per player. (not a single one more tough).

Hmm. I think the complete opposite, actually. I think that if you die, your tent should not only disappear sooner, but also able to be dismantled by other players(not sure if you're supposed to be able to do this anyway, never seen it done or did it myself).

If you can just run back to your tent, where's the fear of death? Store up enough to re-equip, go to chern and shoot bullets into everything, die, go back to you tent. What's the point?

Edit:

This would rely on you visiting your tent once in a while to keep it in good condition, much like one would in real life.

In real life, you'd never go back to your tent again if you die.

Because you're dead.

Hmm. I think the complete opposite' date=' actually. I think that if you die, your tent should not only disappear sooner, but also able to be dismantled by other players(not sure if you're supposed to be able to do this anyway, never seen it done or did it myself).

If you can just run back to your tent, where's the fear of death? Store up enough to re-equip, go to chern and shoot bullets into everything, die, go back to you tent. What's the point?

Edit:

This would rely on you visiting your tent once in a while to keep it in good condition, much like one would in real life.

In real life, you'd never go back to your tent again if you die.

Because you're dead.

The maintenance requirement applies regardless of whether or not you are dead, this a change from the tent always being there if you are alive and the hard set 48 hour despawn time if you die. You can argue about realism if you want, but you can always run back to your corpse and regather your items, I don't see why it is so different with tents; those supplies have to come from somewhere so you'll still be making the same dangerous looting trips, except with tents you have a little bit of ability to plan ahead.

I'm not arguing about the validity of tents here, they are already in the game and a lot of people seem to like them. If they don't fit with your ideal play-style then you definitely don't need to use them, but I don't think in any way that they make the game easier - the items in your tent can be just as easily stolen or lost as the ones on your body, and they're one of the few features of the game that help to keep people from server hopping.