mathew.hodgson@hotmail.com

Admins need to be able to ADMIN!

Same here mate, running the server is to much grief, im beaten tbh. Game regardless of status has become a farce. I cant see what testing data is useful tbh when I'm running round as a fucking dog lol.

I agree. Every server should have active admins 24/7. No exceptions. Failure to comply = perma blacklist.

What I don't understand is why he is allowing hackers to run riot? We were ranked 5 in the world FFS, 2 in the UK, we are a well run server, and we are now getting fucked over by hackers at will and nothing is being done to help us. Nothing, We are not even being allowed to help ourselves, and that is what I cannot understand.

• Like 1

If it was just the "random odd" admin who was abusive it would be fine.

But it's not.

Look at how many servers are locked/passworded right this very minute. And that says nothing of the ones that don't bother passwording and just run auto-boots for anyone not preauthorized to join.

The ONE thing admins are allowed to do, and there are hundreds of servers abusing the shit out of it.

DayZ stand-alone will answer the hacker issue.

Until then, deal with it or don't. If you're not willing to, then shut your servers down quietly. They will be replaced.

Dude you really just don't get it do you IF THE SERVER IS ABUSING THEIR ADMIN RIGHTS THEN DO NOT PLAY ON THEIR SERVER simple it's better than hackers running riot on every single server. Jesus did you even read any of this thread or do you just love to post BULLSHIT every time. Yes there may be servers locked etc. but why do you care ... your not playing on it are you.

• Like 1

Anyone who gets killed from behind, or their super secret hidden camp gets found can scream hacker.

Because of the circumvention of Battleye, the logs won't tell you shit.

Also, read thread in my sig.

the amount of hackers in this game is outragous, every single day i run across one or 10, either they teleport behind u to make them seem legit, or they just straight up kill u in some bs manner, most people havent seen one in 2+ months because they have a home server which might be free of hacks, but i have yet to find one. The game is already dying imo, between the prism rape, huge amount of hacks, abusive admins, fucked up loot spawns, and long ass loading times i just cant bear this game anymore... Which is sad because it was the most promising mod ive seen yet.

You mad or something ?

Unbelievable. You fucking moron. These are the people that PAY MONEY to host these servers so gits like you are able to play this game, show some fucking gratitude. Hackers are destroying this game at the moment and the devs are "fixing" ammo clips counting so honest players lose even more firepower against invincible tent and gear duping players who use scripts freely available everywhere. Battleeye is a very bad joke. ALL the resources should be going to cheat prevention at the moment and somebody needs to speak the fuck out about these things. I'm surprised any admins are still hosting this at the moment.

• Like 4

As a admin (as in someone who both pays for and attempts to maintain my server), I've grown quite annoyed with some of the limitations we have.

Primarily, the kind concerning people who openly use exploits like combat logging (yes, it's been stated by Rocket that abusing this is an exploit), and yet are able to point to the famous quote stating that the only two bannable offenses, is harrasment and racism (a quote which obviously is taken out of context, note how hacking apparently isn't a bannable offense either).

I am firmly against giving myself or any other admins any powers that can easily be abused, the suggested "spectator mode" is a ridiculous suggestion that would lead to enormous amounts of abuse from certain admins.

Instead, admins should be free to give local bans to anyone they catch blatantly exploiting, and I'm not necessarily talking about someone who disconnects once a bullet hits them, as it could "theoretically" be a accidental or unintended disconnect.

However, when I can watch a person get shot (non lethal), exit into the lobby, stay there, go back ingame after five minutes, then bounce back into the lobby when he's shot at again, and repeat that action until I manage to kill him, he gives up and leaves or I give up and leave.. Why can't I do anything about it?

A local ban saves my servers community the hassle of having to deal with such a person anymore, and he's able to continue playing on other servers, maybe even learn from his mistake and stop abusing the mechanics.

And if he lost a camp, if he has buddies they'll surly bring whatever valuable equipment he needs from it, if not then it's just an extension of the punishment.

I chose that example simply because it's the easiest to attempt to explain, but my example will in many ways be fixed once a logout timer is implemented and I truly look forward to the day.

In the end, I'll continue hosting my server, even if my powers are somewhat limited.

Edited by Thornir
  • Like 4

Yeah you have a point Thornir it would be abused but I can't think of another way other than spectating to catch wallhackers, aimbotters and illegal gun spawners... If someone could give another way then great.

All other competitive multiplayer games have all had admin spectator so you can watch and video the accused for a period of time before banning and then if he wants to appeal you have the evidence. Hopefully Battle eye will be much better at detecting hackers when the game is eventually finished but in my experience with servers I have been admin on in the past the hackers that did get through the anti cheat programs were only caught when admins would watch them, make videos and gather evidence.

This is a different kind of game though and yes it could be used to the Admins advantage to gain gear. Either way we need really need something to be done. What do WoW and similar games use? They seem to work ...

• Like 1

Other MMO's tend to have their own in-game security.

Other MMO's also have huge teams of people working on the project.

When we go stand alone it will be interesting to see what rocket has decided to implement in terms of anti-cheat.

But until then, Admins will continue having very little power because it is so easy to abuse it.

What do WoW and similar games use? They seem to work ...

Blizzard uses Warden, which is similar to BattleEye in a sense...detects unauthorized code, etc.

The main thing is that everything is processed server-side. All the loot is generated server-side in D3. Client-side has very little going on. The downside of this is your gameplay quality is limited to the server's power. D3 was a huge nightmare for a while due to servers being overloaded.

Letting the client handle more processes will alleviate server-strain, but you lose "security". Blizzard's infrastructure for coping with the heavy server loads = $$$...BI is unfortunately nowhere near that scale, or so I would surmise.

• Like 2

Giving admins such powers will sadly only lead to abuse, drama and more problems.

Comparing DayZ to other competitive multiplayer games is hard to do, atleast fairly.. as DayZ relation to loot and progress is different from most games.

In terms of most FPS's or shooters, wallhacking and other sorts of hacking give far greater gain in Dayz then others, as gear has "value" of sorts, maybe not for the hacker himself, but some will hack and kill others just for the joy of doing it, just to make his opponents mad (hackers who fire off nukes in DayZ hardly do it to get awesome loot, but rather to piss people off).

In terms of most MMO's you can't really compare the need for hack protection in PvP settings, as in most MMO's you lose nothing when you die, the exceptions being games like Eve Online, Darkfall Online, Mortal Online and Ultima Online, but in these games (atleast the first 3) the gain from some of the type of hacks you mention, like wallhackers and aimbotters is slim to none, and they often have unique software to catch offenders.

Battleye is far from perfect, but name one software of the kind that is.. the software seems to work decently, as there are numerous complaints about global bans every day in the unban section of the forum (even if there's a sticky thread saying that there's no point posting about global bans), and most likely a far larger number gets banned without complaining.

To answer your last question: WoW (along with other Blizzard titles like Diablo and Starcraft) uses a anti cheating software known as Warden, it is basically a spyware that collects information about other processes running on your computer and sends it to Blizzards own servers, where it's compared to known hacking software (automated process).

Hopefully most of the admin restrictions and the things that makes detecting hackers effectively so hard will be sorted when DayZ is released as a standalone game.

Edited by Thornir

I agree with the OP to an extent. Admins should have more power. I think spectator mode would be a good idea, but with a delay like League of Legends has. Maybe a longer delay like 10 or 20 minutes, that way the Admin can't kick someone because they are by their base. Twenty minutes is plenty of time to be long gone. Admin would still be able to watch,find, and boot script abusers. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP to an extent. Admins should have more power. I think spectator mode would be a good idea, but with a delay like League of Legends has. Maybe a longer delay like 10 or 20 minutes, that way the Admin can't kick someone because they are by their base. Twenty minutes is plenty of time to be long gone. Admin would still be able to watch,find, and boot script abusers. Just my 2 cents.

Would still be horribly abused to find camps and vehicles, spectator mode for admins should not be an option.

DayZ stand-alone will answer the hacker issue.

gtfo what game engine would be the stand alone.

Ive had more issues with abusive admins then I do hackers. 2-3 a day for admins maybe one a week for hackers.

This game is getting ridiculous now I am a member of a clan who owns a popular English server and I play on it daily, More and more hackers have been coming on our server this week and it has dropped us from 6th best ranked server in the world now to 15th and our server is only half populated now where as I used to be fighting to get a slot all day. Seriously what the fuck is going on?

Why can't we get some sort of spectator mode like every other game and actually be allowed to ban people who are using hacked in weapons etc. Last night me and a few other members and some regulars who use our Teamspeak channel hunted down around 10 hackers who were all using AS50's with thermal scope and other ridiculous snipers/assault rifles that do not actually spawn in DayZ.

I realise you think you can't trust Admins because there will be some who abuse their admin powers however SURELY this must be better than servers being fucked over by Virgin gimps who use hacks to compensate for their small penises and lack of sex and ruin the game for people who have spent hours and hours trying to get their character some decent equipment. Yes some admins and some servers will abuse it however people will just stop playing on their servers and Servers with good trusted admins will be more popular.

If you don't sort out this Problem soon the game will be DEAD before is has even been released.

Sparky*

**Apologies for posting in the wrong place.

What a lovely immature post you have here. I get your argument but the way you have put it is very immature.Immaturity can be at any age and you have shown yours.

Edited by Swordfish

These threads are pointless unfortunately. All they ever become is a flame war between justifiably disgruntled server admins and fan boys that refuse to look at things objectively. Sadly, I have yet to see any DayZ dev members get involved with these discussions. Very few people appreciate what server admins do, both in terms of time and monetary commitment. When an admin complains about how their hands are tied behind their backs most people just tell them to fuck off because another server will soon replace theirs; it's a flawed and unappreciative logic.

• Like 3

Locally ban them, get the logs prove it was then submit to DayZ team for global ban. It's not hard.

the problem is that the logs tell you nothing if they hooked into the dll files (or something lke that, not sure how its done)

log files dont even show WHO killed someone, even if the hacker teleports in the admins face and kills him, he cant find out who did it

you only get the normal messages "xyz was killed" even in the logs

if you culd actually see who shot who with what gun, it would be hell of a lot easier, i cant see the problem with that

• Like 1