mathew.hodgson@hotmail.com

Admins need to be able to ADMIN!

This game is getting ridiculous now I am a member of a clan who owns a popular English server and I play on it daily, More and more hackers have been coming on our server this week and it has dropped us from 6th best ranked server in the world now to 15th and our server is only half populated now where as I used to be fighting to get a slot all day. Seriously what the fuck is going on?

Why can't we get some sort of spectator mode like every other game and actually be allowed to ban people who are using hacked in weapons etc. Last night me and a few other members and some regulars who use our Teamspeak channel hunted down around 10 hackers who were all using AS50's with thermal scope and other ridiculous snipers/assault rifles that do not actually spawn in DayZ.

I realise you think you can't trust Admins because there will be some who abuse their admin powers however SURELY this must be better than servers being fucked over by Virgin gimps who use hacks to compensate for their small penises and lack of sex and ruin the game for people who have spent hours and hours trying to get their character some decent equipment. Yes some admins and some servers will abuse it however people will just stop playing on their servers and Servers with good trusted admins will be more popular.

If you don't sort out this Problem soon the game will be DEAD before is has even been released.

Sparky*

**Apologies for posting in the wrong place.

Edited by Sparky*
  • Like 8

i still have not seen one hacker so far, playing for 2+ month.

i just roughly skip through the server list, i already see a huge chunk of server owners abuse their power.

nah, thanks but, no thanks.

• Like 1

This game is getting ridiculous now I am a member of a clan who owns a popular English server and I play on it daily, More and more hackers have been coming on our server this week and it has dropped us from 6th best ranked server in the world now to 15th and our server is only half populated now where as I used to be fighting to get a slot all day. Seriously what the fuck is going on?

Why can't we get some sort of spectator mode like every other game and actually be allowed to ban people who are using hacked in weapons etc. Last night me and a few other members and some regulars who use our Teamspeak channel hunted down around 10 hackers who were all using AS50's with thermal scope and other ridiculous snipers/assault rifles that do not actually spawn in DayZ.

I realise you think you can't trust Admins because there will be some who abuse their admin powers however SURELY this must be better than servers being fucked over by Virgin gimps who use hacks to compensate for their small penises and lack of sex and ruin the game for people who have spent hours and hours trying to get their character some decent equipment. Yes some admins and some servers will abuse it however people will just stop playing on their servers and Servers with good trusted admins will be more popular.

If you don't sort out this Problem soon the game will be DEAD before is has even been released.

Sparky*

Locally ban them, get the logs prove it was then submit to DayZ team for global ban. It's not hard.

i still have not seen one hacker so far, playing for 2+ month.

i just roughly skip through the server list, i already see a huge chunk of server owners abuse their power.

nah, thanks but, no thanks.

\

I've been playing for... wow, too long now. And I haven't seen hackers up until recently, and they've blown up. Well, literally, I've been blown up twice now. By a jet and by some asshole throwing satchel charges. And other times by jackasses who are somehow invincible to .50 cal bullets at point blank range. So I agree with the post but only somewhat. I want servers to actually perma-ban people who hack the game because honestly their ruining the experience for the rest of us. I mean, it's a harsh punishment but it's the best way to bring an end to hacking. I've lost some of the rarest gear in the game to hackers who kill a whole server for shits and giggles and honestly, it's fucking weak. If I lost it to a bandit who outsmarted and outplayed me then I don't complain whatsoever. I actually give kudos to them. But hackers are the lowest of the low.

• Like 2

I've lost some of the rarest gear in the game to hackers who kill a whole server for shits and giggles and honestly,

the thing is:

you don't play dayz for the gear. you play it to test the alpha. and you test the alpha the way the developers want.

you can complain about hacks when it goes live and you have to pay money for it.

Edited by Azrail

the thing is:

you don't play dayz for the gear. you play it to test the alpha. and you test the alpha the way the developers want.

you can complain about hacks when it goes live and you have to pay money for it.

But the fact is 90% of people who play the game are not playing it to test the alpha(directly). Your point is completely stupid ... how do you think you test a game? You play it like you would play the game if it had been released fully and most players are spending days getting equipment etc.

If nobody gives feedback and does not complain about hackers then the game will not be able to be tested as is should be because hackers are NOT supposed to be in the game.

• Like 3

Stop reporting people for using features of Arma II. Really guys dont you have anything better to do than report people for playing the game the way it was designed to be played?

I propose a new hack reporting format.

Topic im moaning about:

Who made me cry like a little girl:

How many times they did it:

What im going to threaten to do after i'm ignored for posting this:

Wah:

WTF? so you think it's ok to hack in weapons from Arma2 ?

• Like 2

Why can't we get some sort of spectator mode like every other game and actually be allowed to ban people

Because most admins would use spectator mode to spy on people and call in locations of camps and vehicles to their friends.

And ban anyone who gets anywhere near their stuff.

Just look at how many servers are locked and passworded right now if you want ot know what admins do with what little power they're given. Or how many clan servers are auto-booting.

"Fuck the rules and fuck other players, it's my server and I do what I want" is basically the attitude of a solid 75% of admins.

If you want to be treated like adults, start by cleaning up your community.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Agree 100% there sparky, Rocket has built up an incredible momentum with Dayz so far but he is going to risk losing that if some power is not handed to the admins to fight the growing hacker threat.

Hell, we have been running servers for over 10 years and they have all been highly respected and properly admined, people know that when they see our name attached to a server they are in a safe place and are almost guaranteed a good gaming experience. Rocket need to let us continue that, to take action against players teleporting everyone to one location then killing them, to ban players spawning in banned weapons and vehicles, to make Dayz something that people will want to play on our server.

An example, two guys last night attacked our camp, we had 6 players, all in TS, all geared up, we were completely useless against these two players that teleported, turned invisible and when we did manage top catch them for a second under our crosshairs no names showed up. Out of the 6 players I was the only survivor, but here's the thing. We didn't even know who killed us. We couldn't even look through the logs to find out who it was because they are such a mess. So, whoever it was is free to jump on our server whenever they want and cheat to their hearts content without any consequences. Even if we did know their names, unless we were recording the game at the time there would be nothing we could do, and even then we would have to send the video to the Devs, wait four weeks for them to view it and then see if they took any action. Meanwhile the hackers would still have free reign on our server. If that had happened in any other game, the players would have been identified, confirmed and banned within minutes. Our forum would be open for any appeals, and life would go on as normal, with a happy hack free server.

Give us proper admin tools, give us proper admin powers and in return we will give you a safe server for your alpha testers to play on, at no cost to you. You never know, it may actually work.

• Like 6

But the fact is 90% of people who play the game are not playing it to test the alpha(directly).

not the dev's problem they fail to understand the concept of software development

how do you think you test a game? You play it like you would play the game if it had been released fully and most players are spending days getting equipment etc.

oh i do, but i accept that it is pointless to rage and go rampant if a hacker or some random bug kills me.

report the bug/hacker and wait, there really is nothing else you can do.

If nobody gives feedback and does not complain about hackers then the game will not be able to be tested as is should be because hackers are NOT supposed to be in the game.

there is a difference between complaining and constructive feedback.

you can always suggest to handle things differently, but if the developer disagrees you have to suck it up.

you don't go to an artist and tell him his approach on painting a picture sucks,

or that he really needs to hold his brush this or that way, or that this should be green instead of blue.

you can SUGGEST it, but you can not DEMAND it. unless you pay him for it.

Edited by Azrail

Because most admins would use spectator mode to spy on people and call in locations of camps and vehicles to their friends.

And ban anyone who gets anywhere near their stuff.

Just look at how many servers are locked and passworded right now if you want ot know what admins do with what little power they're given. Or how many clan servers are auto-booting.

"Fuck the rules and fuck other players, it's my server and I do what I want" is basically the attitude of a solid 75% of admins.

If you want to be treated like adults, start by cleaning up your community.

I don't know where to start with this, so I will be brief.

What would you prefer, hackers allowed free reign across every server, or the ability to find hacker free servers run by responsible admin? 75%, Most, I love how people just pick stats out of their arses.

• Like 2

I don't know where to start with this, so I will be brief.

What would you prefer, hackers allowed free reign across every server, or the ability to find hacker free servers run by responsible admin? 75%, Most, I love how people just pick stats out of their arses.

"Responsible admin" is the key phrase there, I think.

If you can come up with a way to reliably differentiate between responsible admins and the group of 12-year-olds who pool together their allowance to rent a server with the express intent of using their power to gain whatever advantage they can over the people on their server and others throughout the community, then we can discuss putting more power in their hands.

Stats from my ass or no, I can say with no exaggeration that I have encountered more abusive and unscrupulous admins in my 700+ hours in the game than I have hackers. I have seen ~3 hackers, 1 of whom was really nice and took me on a helicopter ride so I barely count him. Meanwhile I see admins mucking up the community every day. Locked servers, passwords, auto-kick scripts, "no PvP" servers, auto bans for anyone who finds their camp, restarting servers to roll back unsaved vehicle positions, crashing servers to duplicate entire camps' worth of items and equipment, kicking for friends or clan members, "24/7 daylight servers," etc., etc.

No, not all of these offenses are as severe as "kill everyone on the damn server" but cumultaively both are incredibly detrimental to the DayZ community at large so I kind of feel like your suggestion is the equivalent of stealing fish from a grizzly bear because the polar bear is getting hungry.

It's like, fine, you can have the fish but I'm still going to get bearfucked.

Personally the way forward seems clear to me - build whatever tools the responsible admins use to prevent hacking into the architecture itself. The problem is rampant not because you don't have the power to ban (lets face it, by the time you go through the logs and pick out the IP and pass it around, the damage is already done and the hacker probably uninstalled the game) but because the client/server just aren't being very careful. Tighten up signature checking, restrict what clients have permission to do with scripts, and reduce the amount of superfluous information that gets shared among the clients by the overly-generous server for starters.

It's like if I had a really bad case of acne I wouldn't hire a team to sit there popping my zits for me one at a time - I would just go to the dermatologist.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Well said Doc.

oh i do, but i accept that it is pointless to rage and go rampant if a hacker or some random bug kills me.

report the bug/hacker and wait, there really is nothing else you can do.

I don't care the fact I got killed I didn't have anything. However what I do care about is servers and the game being over run and ruined by hackers. You have just said it yourself there is nothing admins can do except report the hacker and wait most of the time you don't know even know who it was and never will. Also how can you compare creating a mod to painting.... what a shit comparison.

If an admin is abusing the server then you just don't play on that server it's simple. You find a server you know you can trust.

• Like 2

Admins need to be able to ADMIN!

Yes they do. The dev stance on this issue is wrong.

Can we step away from worrying about the odd idiot admin and think about all the servers that are suffering with hackers at the moment? Such blinkered loyalty to a mod who have said diddly-squat on the issue.

• Like 3

yep hours of work to fix it and sec's for some lame hacker to drop a heli on it yeah thats all meant to be part of the game im sure......? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve3rL-u2BYw&feature=player_embedded

we pay for our server and we should be allowed to alpha test without being interrupted by hours of log checks and forum posts, followed by some cheap bastard who doesnt put in a cent into the community to run servers having a whine in appeals for bans about not using some hack or cheat.... you know what if they cant get the hacking under control i'll suggest banning every player on the damn server that wasnt there before the hacks started and be done with it and if that gets our server shutdown so be it we'd prefer that over dealing with all this hacker crap and wasting hours of gaming for no rewards!!

• Like 4

we should be allowed to alpha test without being interrupted by hours of log checks and forum posts

That's the point of an alpha?

That's the point of an alpha?

Does anyone else work on these forums? Specifically in the development industry?

Try rolling out that excuse for your software on a regular basis.

• Like 2

the thing is:

Meh, I play for the experience w/ my friends, and good gear is the goal of that experience. A friendly competition for who can get the best. And for me to lose it to hackers is a pain in my ass. It's hours just wasted for not just me but for everyone else on the server.

• Like 2

Some really retarded people here, I think that most the people who do not want the admins to be able to have more power are the ones who hack and ruin the game for others. It's really quite simple and it's the only way to stop hackers that's why almost every successful game ever made has allowed admins to spectate and have free reign over their servers. This game could be great and I have already spent many hours playing it however this last week or so I feel it has become almost unplayable and pointless. Like I said if an admin is abusing their server then NOBODY will play on their server... surely it's better to have a few badly run servers than a game where hackers are able to roam free?

• Like 1

Well, there you go, entire server has been "Thunderdomed" and all folk respawning are coming back as dogs. Well, at least the admin aren't on a powertrip eh?

Give us some bloody power to deal with this if you can not!

• Like 1