wolfmat

Spawn survivors with only a flashlight

the potential for exploitation does leave it with a requirement of balancing features. which, when considering the design philosophy of the mod, makes it unfeasible.... damn

I fully support the OP's idea. Spawning with nothing but a flashlight would make starting on a night time server actually playable, would virtually eliminate spawn campers, would make survival a higher priority instead of some people instantly trying to find other players to kill.

It would add more progression as well, using the coastal areas and initial supply gathering points, a place to find other players to work with without fear of them gunning you down on sight. It would turn the more inland areas into the higher end places, even moreso than they are now, and the loot could be distributed accordingly to this.

A truly brilliant and simple idea, love it.

I fully support the OP's idea. Spawning with nothing but a flashlight would make starting on a night time server actually playable' date=' would virtually eliminate spawn campers, would make survival a higher priority instead of some people instantly trying to find other players to kill.[/quote']

Sure, until I show up with some of my friends with assault rifles, NVGs and so on to lock down huge swaths of the game.

What can you do?

Shine your flashlight into my face as I gun you down on the beach.

That flashlight would be useless during the day.

Only 1 bandage and 1 magazine. Hopefully this would put people off going on a CoD style rampage and actually scavenge, and consider what they do in towns/villages/cities.

I just avoid the issue altogether by getting off the beach ASAP.

Not sure what the problem is.

That flashlight would be useless during the day.

Only 1 bandage and 1 magazine. Hopefully this would put people off going on a CoD style rampage and actually scavenge' date=' and consider what they do in towns/villages/cities.

[/quote']

that might push people to kill others so they can stock up on ammo.

I just avoid the issue altogether by getting off the beach ASAP.

Not sure what the problem is.

there is always new players. they wont know what to do, and might get stuck in a loop of deathmatch - which seems to be happening more frequently judging by my gaming experience since 1.5.6

I fully support the OP's idea. Spawning with nothing but a flashlight would make starting on a night time server actually playable' date=' would virtually eliminate spawn campers, would make survival a higher priority instead of some people instantly trying to find other players to kill.[/quote']

Sure, until I show up with some of my friends with assault rifles, NVGs and so on to lock down huge swaths of the game.

What can you do?

1: Why would anyone bother to do that? Nothing to gain from killing people who only have a flashlight. And even if someone did do that -

2: Who really cares? If all i have is a flashlight and i get gunned down shortly after spawning, so what? Chances are i had only been alive for a short amount of time and didn't have anything to lose anyways. If i'm getting camped for no reason, there are tons of other servers i can go join.

What can you do?

1: Why would anyone bother to do that? Nothing to gain from killing people who only have a flashlight. And even if someone did do that -

2: Who really cares? If all i have is a flashlight and i get gunned down shortly after spawning, so what? Chances are i had only been alive for a short amount of time and didn't have anything to lose anyways. If i'm getting camped for no reason, there are tons of other servers i can go join.

people kill just for the fun of stopping another player's progress, dont underestimate the player base's ability to be assholes

Yes but again, if you're killed that quickly after spawning, just got to another server, there are plenty to pick from. Even if some people did do this, the amount of people doing it would likely drop significantly.

And then, zombies arrive and kille you... Yup!, that would be awesome! *sacastic*

...I can already imagin douchy players camping in places near spawns with newly added guns and backpacks and basic equipment... Yep!, the good stuff! *still sarcastic*

I like the idea of spawning with nothing or less.

How is having that Makarlv going to help me against that group with AKMs and NVG, anyway?

The game, however, would really need to become more realistic to do this. I would need to have, as someone said, a shove or punch mechanic. And I would need to make running viable.

As it stands, zombies will pursue me forever. If I had not found a weapon, and some started chasing me, I would suddenly realize that its a game and it would benefit my use of precious real life gaming time to just stop, let them kill me, and try again.

There would have to be some modicum of chance that I could outrun or outwit or lose them in trees or something.

L

I guess we're gonna be able to experience this now? I'm sorry if it sucks, but I think it's worth the experiment. Good luck out there.

While I like the idea of starting a player with only a flashlight, I vehemently oppose the fact that a flashlight and pistol cannot coexist.

It would be great if you could use both a pistol and flashlight and just have NO iron sights since you cannot hold the gun with both hands. This would still make the G17 useful with it's on gun flashlight, but allow most people to have a viable flashlight option.

You would have to greatly reduce accuracy and increase recoil malus as well then. Because one-handed shooting doesn't really work well in practice.

Anything beyond that, like gripping a pistol with both hands as well as a flashlight in one of them, doesn't seem to be a thing ArmA makes easy to mod in.

I don't know how you actually hold a flashlight while holding a pistol anyway. But that's probably because I don't know much about actual shooting.