Sign in to follow this  
Donkamints

First time Server Owner looking for a host

Who is the best server host that you guys go with.Keep in mind I want a good clean server with very little lag and customer service issues. I understand that is asking a lot but any help you can post here would be a great help. Keep in mind I will take the opinions of the people who actually own servers rather than just random comments from players. That is not to say that your feedback on this matter is useless. That is absolutely not true at all. These people pay for the servers they host so I would like to hear from them. Thanks guys

How familiar are you with the Arma series? Are you comfortable setting up your own DayZ server? I have seen very mixed reports for the current server hosters, but have seen good reports from users who have decided to rent a VDS and run one themselves.

Edited by kraze1994

According to DayZmod Devs VPS/VDS are not allowed for DayZmod Server hosting. Is this incorrect?

Can I host on a VPS?

Many ISPs sell Virtual Private Servers (VPS) with the assumption that any given server will be idle for the majority of the time, thus allowing them to host several VPSes on the same physical hardware.

A DayZ server will consume a lot of processing power on a regular basis, which makes it difficult to host DayZ servers on a VPS.

Most VPSes will also not give you a commitment on processing power, but instead provided it on an as-available basis. If the physical hardware is running a lot of processes, your VPS may not get the required CPU power to run a DayZ server.

So, in almost all cases, no. You cannot run a DayZ server on a VPS.

Via "Server FAQ"

Edited by Master Brain

You should've stated where exactly you want the hosting to be but anyway no worries.

I use www.Xstreamgaming.net for my UK server and I love them.

They have everything I need in the control panel and have top rate support and knowledge.

They treat you like a friend instead of looking down on you like most host's do once they have ur cash.

Personaly myself, every gameserver I ever rent will be from them.

10/10

According to DayZmod Devs VPS/VDS are not allowed for DayZmod Server hosting. Is this incorrect?

Can I host on a VPS?

Many ISPs sell Virtual Private Servers (VPS) with the assumption that any given server will be idle for the majority of the time, thus allowing them to host several VPSes on the same physical hardware.

A DayZ server will consume a lot of processing power on a regular basis, which makes it difficult to host DayZ servers on a VPS.

Most VPSes will also not give you a commitment on processing power, but instead provided it on an as-available basis. If the physical hardware is running a lot of processes, your VPS may not get the required CPU power to run a DayZ server.

So, in almost all cases, no. You cannot run a DayZ server on a VPS.

Via "Server FAQ"

A VPS I can understand but a VDS is a little different as it is built on dedicated resources, you are not sharing your resources with another customer and not buying it from your ISP, even though I have never seen an ISP offer VPS's, I would imagine they are pretty bad. The downside to a VDS is that there is some slight overhead from being in a virtual environment, however in my testing and reports from other users it works just fine as long as the machine you are on meets the minimum requirements

A VPS I can understand but a VDS is a little different as it is built on dedicated resources, you are not sharing your resources with another customer and not buying it from your ISP, even though I have never seen an ISP offer VPS's, I would imagine they are pretty bad. The downside to a VDS is that there is some slight overhead from being in a virtual environment, however in my testing and reports from other users it works just fine as long as the machine you are on meets the minimum requirements

And this is approvable by DayZmod Dev Team for an instance ID?

I've had no problems with Vilayer, and they are pre-whitelisted. Just have to wait until they verify your order and you're assigned an instance id and from there you'll be able to login to your tc-admin panel and configure the server how you want. A little pricey, but very stable in my experience and I have NEVER not once got stuck at the loading screen. The game loads up very quickly. and I'm in the server and playing within 30 seconds of starting to connect, if not quicker. US 1313 to test it for yourself.

I don't know where you are located, but stay away from managed hosters. They are garage operations ran by college kids.

Go dedicated. Whitelisting will take time but in the end it's worth the wait and the money.

But before you spend money, ask yourself: why do you want to host a server?

You can't do anything about hackers. They don't show up in your logs. You can't password your server. You can't ban suspected hackers. You can't do anything.

Ask yourself: why would you pay for that?

Save yourself the trouble. Sometimes I question why I still run my server. I spend more time detecting/banning hackers then actually playing.

And this is approvable by DayZmod Dev Team for an instance ID?

I would say so, yes.

I currently have been approved and I know of a few others as well. However you will need to pick a good company for your VDS. Do not do a VPS, only a VDS. I personally use http://www.nfoservers.com.