Sign in to follow this  
dobrowney

Zombie Collision settings

I am getting sick of when a zombie chases me they just run though the doors or fence. Like to see they have to run around the fence. Or knock down the doors .. They should have the same collision settings as we do. I know why Dayz is doing it so they do not get suck into the fence and doors, but i say let them .. Spawn 20 times more zombies and let them roam .. If some get suck i think that would look more realistic.

A zombie running through the fences or walls? As far as I know It happens very rarely. Of course they run through barbedwire and sandbags which are installed by players, but those already on the map are blocking their path. As for the doors yes - zombies wont stop because you close them. Anyway that stuff is the ArmA2 engine fault - Rocket cant do much about it.

I get that this is a mod from arma 2 and it will have alot of its problems. Just makes no sence to stack sandbags and barbwire if zombies can run though it .. The idea is to stop zombies and players. Maybe if the game goes to a standalone or to the arma 3 model this can be fixed.

Edited by Dobrowney

I haven't follow all interviews with Rocket, but I guess that standalone DayZ would be something like Iron Front: Liberation 1944 so it will still use ArmA (3?) engine. Hopefully the BIS guys said that they will try to make things easier for zombie apocalypse sim in their new engine.

This game wasn't developed for a hand to hand combat or a excessive use of building interiors and thats why zombies cause so many problems. Actually they dont use game AI and everything has to be "ordered" to them. It would be awesome if you can just order them "attack this guy" and they would figure out that since their attack range is 1 meter, they have to get closer and "fire".

Right now you have to tell them to go where player is (several times, since player is changing position), to turn so they face player and to play "attack animation". They dont use some sort of "a fist weapon" - damage to the player is applied via script and that is way they can attack through walls - script just check if player is close enough and apply damage.

As for passing through player created barriers problem is similar. AI will "see" obstacles which are there in place when the mission is initialised, but will ignore those set up during play. Even funnier, if you place some obstacle while creating a mission and delete it while playing, AI will still act like a deleted obstacle is still there.

Probably BIS is aware of these problems and will adress them in ArmA3.

Yeah sounds like Arma 3 will be amazing . BIS is really taking arma to the next level of Combat sims.