Krisfallion

Firing at close range and in a panic...

Here is another scenario I found myself in this past weekend.

I had logged out on the roof of the tall apartment building (the one with only one apartment at the top floor). Yeah, I know: bad place to log out but I had to get off line ASAP.

The next morning I log in and hear some movement. Thinking it was just zeds, I climb down the ladder and turn right into the apartment. As I turn towards the left someone walks right around the corner and stops. We stare at each other for maybe one heartbeat and then, in a blind panic, I raise my M1911 and start firing. I was in third person mode with no aiming or iron sights up. I fire four shots, none of them hit him. He turns around and runs back to the front room and I run down the stairs and out of the apartment screaming "I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN IT! FRIENDLY! FRIENDLY!" I run that way back into the forest and manage to train only one zombie on my ass in doing so.

My question is this: in a close range situation like that, what is the best way to make sure you actually hit someone when blind firing like that? Is it worth crouching down, taking aim, and then shooting? Or does the precious second it takes to do that ensure that the other guy is going to get the drop on you. I am glad I did not kill him but it was an intense moment for me.

Just a big scaredy-cat care bear,

Krisfallion

• Like 1

>actually hit someone

>blind firing

Choose one.

>not on /v/

>greentexting

Edited by Dickhat
  • Like 1

Iron sight, controlled bursts all the way. I'd love to see 3rd person vanish, because it gives you a lot of extra awareness, taking some pressure off the situation!

Right click then use iron sights always. You can go in the arma 2 editor and set up a shooting range using any weapon you want to get used to the sights of different guns. It's good practice to learn about bullet drop etc.

I say take the time to aim. If you panic and unload your AK in one burst you wont hit anything, seen it happen many times. I think that third person probably will be eliminated (I certainly hope so, people should not be able to see around corners or over walls), but as has been said you do not want to be shooting in third person. I do hope that they keep third person view for vehicles, like the ATV for example is really hard to drive because you cant see where your wheels are pointing.Or alternatively have some kind of indicator showing the bearing of the vehicle relative to your sight.

Here is another scenario I found myself in this past weekend.

I had logged out on the roof of the tall apartment building (the one with only one apartment at the top floor). Yeah, I know: bad place to log out but I had to get off line ASAP.

The next morning I log in and hear some movement. Thinking it was just zeds, I climb down the ladder and turn right into the apartment. As I turn towards the left someone walks right around the corner and stops. We stare at each other for maybe one heartbeat and then, in a blind panic, I raise my M1911 and start firing. I was in third person mode with no aiming or iron sights up. I fire four shots, none of them hit him. He turns around and runs back to the front room and I run down the stairs and out of the apartment screaming "I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN IT! FRIENDLY! FRIENDLY!" I run that way back into the forest and manage to train only one zombie on my ass in doing so.

My question is this: in a close range situation like that, what is the best way to make sure you actually hit someone when blind firing like that? Is it worth crouching down, taking aim, and then shooting? Or does the precious second it takes to do that ensure that the other guy is going to get the drop on you. I am glad I did not kill him but it was an intense moment for me.

Just a big scaredy-cat care bear,

Krisfallion

LOL you remind me. I never played as a bandit and that was probably the first time I've killed a player without me getting shot at first. I was coming downstairs in Elektro South-West firestation with a PDW and suddenly I see a guy getting inside from the back door, we kept starting each other for about 1 or 2 seconds, then I just sprayed my mag all over the room lol. Too bad that I found out he was a new spawn later.