Sign in to follow this  
cutzero

So today all bandits are gone?

People are complaining about the removal of bandit skins because now they won't be able to tell who is going to shoot them right away. Their solution to not being able to tell who is going to shoot them right away' date=' is to just shoot everyone right away. Sounds kinda warped don't you think?

[/quote']

That's what you assume. Or they could be pissed off that their is absolutely no consequence for being a total dickwad in this game. Despite what you might think in a RL zombie apocolypse scenario there would be a greater consequence of your actions than there are currently in this 'realistic' simulation of that scenario.

The consequence is that you're putting your gear on the line every time you start a confrontation. I plowed through a bandit and his friend when he fired upon me in the woods. They didn't see my buddy trailing back a little ways with a lethal bead on the both of them. When you go against a player, you're putting your beans on the table, and you don't always walk away with two cans.

I am a zealot of god, I will carry forth his will and eradicate any human vermin from the face of the earth. Once I am done the last bullet is for myself to end humanity once and for all.

God released the zombie virus upon human kind for the rampant sins we have committed every day, it is my duty to finish his work.

Would there be? I'm in the middle of the woods in a post apocalyptic world. As far as I know' date=' there are very few people left alive. I see someone else running along the road down the hill, and he seems to have a pretty full backpack. I'm hungry and don't want to go into town to get food, so I just pull up with my CZ, fire one shot, and down him. I hide the body after I finish. Who the hell is going to punish me? Besides other players, who have no idea it was even me. Think about it logically man, and stop being upset that you won't have a nice big sign saying "THIS GUY SHOOTS PEOPLE FOR THEIR GEAR/FUN" hanging over 'bandits' heads.

[/quote']

In your scenario you make killing sound easy, like there's nothing to it. As someone who's hunted other living creatures before (deer specifically) it's not that simple. Even after killing 3 or 4 deer my heart starts pumping breathing increases, and lining up that kill shot is difficult. And that was creatures who couldn't potentially shoot back at me. If I shoot at a guy for his stuff if I miss, and he shoots back, he might kill me. When I die I don't respawn.

And what if someone hiding in a bush did see you. Did watch you murder a guy in cold blood for his beans. What if that witness runs into you later you think he'll forget your face?

In Dayz he will, because the guy who he watched you murder is probably alive again off somewhere else collecting stuff. He won't even recognize you because you look just exactly like every other survivor he's run across.

I personally think that this will definitely hurt the game. Humanity is less likely to just wipe out their fellow men during hard times. Humans are social creatures that have known to be tribal/hunter-gatherers.

Now I know that several people were labeled as bandits for deciding to go deathmatch right off the bat. Others get labeled as bandits for killing survivors who were not bandits yet. If anything, the game would have been better off with a cool-down period which would reset you back to a survivor. Three days of no survivor kills would be a good cool-down.

Would there be? I'm in the middle of the woods in a post apocalyptic world. As far as I know' date=' there are very few people left alive. I see someone else running along the road down the hill, and he seems to have a pretty full backpack. I'm hungry and don't want to go into town to get food, so I just pull up with my CZ, fire one shot, and down him. I hide the body after I finish. Who the hell is going to punish me? Besides other players, who have no idea it was even me. Think about it logically man, and stop being upset that you won't have a nice big sign saying "THIS GUY SHOOTS PEOPLE FOR THEIR GEAR/FUN" hanging over 'bandits' heads.

[/quote']

In your scenario you make killing sound easy, like there's nothing to it. As someone who's hunted other living creatures before (deer specifically) it's not that simple. Even after killing 3 or 4 deer my heart starts pumping breathing increases, and lining up that kill shot is difficult. And that was creatures who couldn't potentially shoot back at me. If I shoot at a guy for his stuff if I miss, and he shoots back, he might kill me. When I die I don't respawn.

And what if someone hiding in a bush did see you. Did watch you murder a guy in cold blood for his beans. What if that witness runs into you later you think he'll forget your face?

In Dayz he will, because the guy who he watched you murder is probably alive again off somewhere else collecting stuff. He won't even recognize you because you look just exactly like every other survivor he's run across.

I hunt regularly. Killing animals has become easy while hunting. Call me desensitized, but I don't get nervous/shaky at all, I pull up and shoot. Who's generalizing now?

I personally think that this will definitely hurt the game. Humanity is less likely to just wipe out their fellow men during hard times. Humans are social creatures that have known to be tribal/hunter-gatherers.

Now I know that several people were labeled as bandits for deciding to go deathmatch right off the bat. Others get labeled as bandits for killing survivors who were not bandits yet. If anything' date=' the game would have been better off with a cool-down period which would reset you back to a survivor. Three days of no survivor kills would be a good cool-down.

[/quote']

The cooldown system was already in place. Dunno if you've ever lost humanity, but it slowly regains over time, and when you hit 2k you get your survivor skin back.

I'll just point out some Aristotle:

"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law."

No law' date=' no repercussions, and (complete, since there's no bandit skins) internet anonymity with game mechanics that do little to foster cooperation between strangers? I'd expect people to be shooting people all over the place.

Of course, I am ridiculous and out of principle won't shoot people unless they are a direct threat. The only person I have killed in-game was some guy taking pot shots at me while I was laying prone reading a map.

Doesn't take a psychology or philosophy major to realize that anonymity breeds anti-social behavior (...alright the theory says "jackassery" but bandits usually at least have some minor rationale for murdering people).

How 'bout the Golden Rule v2.0:

"Do unto others before they do unto you." ;)

How 'bout the Golden Rule v2.0:

"Do unto others before they do unto you." ;)

There is only one golden rule.. you have beans, I want them.

In your scenario you make killing sound easy' date=' like there's nothing to it. As someone who's hunted other living creatures before (deer specifically) it's not that simple. Even after killing 3 or 4 deer my heart starts pumping breathing increases, and lining up that kill shot is difficult. And that was creatures who couldn't potentially shoot back at me. If I shoot at a guy for his stuff if I miss, and he shoots back, he might kill me. When I die I don't respawn.

[/quote']

I hunt regularly. Killing animals has become easy while hunting. Call me desensitized, but I don't get nervous/shaky at all, I pull up and shoot. Who's generalizing now?

/sigh, way to ignore the rest of my entire argument so you can come back with a petty attack. You didn't answer the rest of my argument. Wouldn't their be consequences? Are you implying that killing a deer is the same thing as killing another human?

In your scenario you make killing sound easy' date=' like there's nothing to it. As someone who's hunted other living creatures before (deer specifically) it's not that simple. Even after killing 3 or 4 deer my heart starts pumping breathing increases, and lining up that kill shot is difficult. And that was creatures who couldn't potentially shoot back at me. If I shoot at a guy for his stuff if I miss, and he shoots back, he might kill me. When I die I don't respawn.

[/quote']

/sigh, way to ignore the rest of my entire argument so you can come back with a petty attack. You didn't answer the rest of my argument. Wouldn't their be consequences? Are you implying that killing a deer is the same thing as killing another human?

Nope, pointing out that you are generalizing as well. The bandit skins are insanely unbalanced, and I support a close range tagging system (You see someone who does something untrustworthy, tag them, and then next time you are in close enough range that you would be able to distinguish them range you get alerted of this tag) but right now that isn't a viable option.

People are complaining about the removal of bandit skins because now they won't be able to tell who is going to shoot them right away. Their solution to not being able to tell who is going to shoot them right away' date=' is to just shoot everyone right away. Sounds kinda warped don't you think?

[/quote']

That's what you assume. Or they could be pissed off that their is absolutely no consequence for being a total dickwad in this game. Despite what you might think in a RL zombie apocolypse scenario there would be a greater consequence of your actions than there are currently in this 'realistic' simulation of that scenario.

The consequence is that you're putting your gear on the line every time you start a confrontation. I plowed through a bandit and his friend when he fired upon me in the woods. They didn't see my buddy trailing back a little ways with a lethal bead on the both of them. When you go against a player, you're putting your beans on the table, and you don't always walk away with two cans.

Just gotta say that last sentence is amazingly awesome.

So, seeing as some time has progressed, does anybody know if we're going to see that update today?

Nope' date=' pointing out that you are generalizing as well. The bandit skins are insanely unbalanced, and I support a close range tagging system (You see someone who does something untrustworthy, tag them, and then next time you are in close enough range that you would be able to distinguish them range you get alerted of this tag) but right now that isn't a viable option.

[/quote']

Arma II does not support a tagging system as you've described. This is a mod based on an *old* game. I would be surprised if there was a way to implement a feature like this.

Your tagging solution would work if it could be implemented and easily used. But it is very unlikely it could ever come to existence given the way Arma II works. The best solution is to allow people to have more customization over their skins so that they can be easily identified between other people. Especially since a lot of servers won't even show names if you hover over people (probably because it shows distance for whatever reason).

UNLESS rocket and the others he seeks advice from are not interested in making that part of the game. Maybe they want 100% paranoid and blind trust to be required.

Your tagging solution would work if it could be implemented and easily used. But it is very unlikely it could ever come to existence given the way Arma II works. The best solution is to allow people to have more customization over their skins so that they can be easily identified between other people. Especially since a lot of servers won't even show names if you hover over people (probably because it shows distance for whatever reason).

rocket has done plenty of stuff that isn't 'supported' in ARMA 2.

Tags are turned off on a lot of servers, mine included, because it is basically a 600m wall hack where if you mouse over where someone is you can see them, regardless of cover in between the two of you.