Sign in to follow this  
Poisonapples

what I love about Dayz

I'm reading through this website regularly for info and amusing stories and so on but i see a lot of negativity about issues and other players and feel if you keep looking for the negatives you will have a negative experiece...I may be wrong but who knows..So I will describe what I love about Day Z and if you fell like adding to it, then by all means go ahead.

Anyone remember HL2? when it first came out? remember the feeling of loneliness punctuated with brief and intense firefights and terror as you made your way across the landscape... it felt like a driven human experience, purpose and melancholic beauty...that's what I feel as I wander through the world....

The Gameplay mechanics itself is great, no level up no witty little repertoire moves or spells to get you through a fight, just pure action and reaction, patience and timing....died many times this week just testing out things for fun, bugs, hackers trying to shoot people cause i was startled, being shot at while unarmed and leading a zombie train on their ass as I ran around them and even this cool Kiwi dude in NWA who klled someone for me so I could make my way up to the tower ( the only time someone hasn't shot me on site)......

I have faith that all these niggly bits and pieces will be address such as hacking and bugs and all that stuff and it'll all work out in the end...or crash and burn into a fiery mess...but i had fun with this experiement, lie Rocket said, have a sense of adventure!

• Like 1

Good idea for a topic. (though how long do you guess it will be taken off-topic by troll assholes?)

What i love about the game: The freedom to do what you want. Theres something so satisfying to be asking yourself "what do i do now?" or asking your companion "where to next?". How many other games do this? Skyrim, Fallout, GTA? but all these still feel like your being lead somewhere with a main quest or any quest. DayZ gives you just one objective, Survive.

It would be cool if there were more survival aspects but (its an alpha) moving from town to town in search of supplies as you watch your hunger slowly turn red has a certain appeal to it.

Its different, too many games are so linear and predictable. When you meet another player your VERY wary of them due to the nature of PvP and people wanting your gear.

One life. Now i play without using tents etc as it makes the life i am playing right now even more valauble and so every situation is weighed against risk+reward as i feel the game is great at doing. Want some medical supplies? You'll have to go into a city and we all know how dangerous they are! (sadly not due to Zeds though :( ).

Edited by Grey Warden
  • Like 1

Dayz is a pretty cool guy an doesn't afraid of anything.

Seriously though, I have a great experience playing this game. I try to roleplay it and it makes for such an immersive experience for me.

• Like 1

Exactly! What can I do next?

I love sneaking around town and seeing someone go into a building and wonder, will they attract Zeds? is someone already there? will they shoot it out? Will they Survive? this is actually quite compelling and I find myself wanting to throw a smoke grenade or taking shots at the zombies that follow them into a building or similar such things...

Dayz is a pretty cool guy an doesn't afraid of anything.

He's he guy that walks around saying " fuck you i'm a shark"

There are so many things I enjoy about this experience. Granted it's buggy but that's expected from an Alpha. Last night I was out scouting with a few friends and ran into the littel logging camp just beside peak Kustryk. I was suddnely stricken by the fact that Rocket and his team placed that camp there just for me and my friends. You know, something out of the ordinary in the middle of nowhere. We stared talking about how the place looked, why burly russian woodcutters would leave a can of soda and some ammo in their outhouse. And what they would use the chem flares for. It makes me wonder what other surprises Rocket has left for me out there on the map.

What I worry about, though, is the longevity of the game. I would love for this game to be around for a long time and still feel relatively fresh and interesting. As it is now the gameplay is rather shallow, to be perfectly honest. I know it's Alpha and obviously all the features haven't been added yet.

What I want is for one thing more long term goals. Goals that require teamwork. What if you could get the Powerplant in Elektro working. It would take an enormous amount of resourses, too many for one person to gather. Once you get it running it will provide some sort of benefit to the regoin, or perhaps the whole map. Maybe power lines break and can be fixed but you'd have to grab a few people and some resources to do it. Perhaps you could fortify an entire town and make it safer. To enter the safe town you'd have to pay the people in charge a few cans of beans or some clips but you'd get a warm bed and a chance to trade with fellow survivirs. Some players could make a living being traders, others could gather stuff for them. Add in zombie attacks and other gangs wanting to take over. Maintenance of the settlement would of course require a big group of people, else the town falls back to it's zombie infested state.

I would also like to see more possibilities to combine items. Right now you use a woodpile and a box of matches to get a fire on which you can cook meat. I'm sure more stuff like that could be made. Perhaps even possibiliteis to tamper with weapons and other equipment to make it more personal.

I know these things are really tough to implement and would probably require Rocket and his team to increase, but it would certainly keep me playing and make my experience much more interesting.

What I want is for one thing more long term goals. Goals that require teamwork. What if you could get the Powerplant in Elektro working. It would take an enormous amount of resourses, too many for one person to gather. Once you get it running it will provide some sort of benefit to the regoin, or perhaps the whole map. Maybe power lines break and can be fixed but you'd have to grab a few people and some resources to do it. Perhaps you could fortify an entire town and make it safer. To enter the safe town you'd have to pay the people in charge a few cans of beans or some clips but you'd get a warm bed and a chance to trade with fellow survivirs. Some players could make a living being traders, others could gather stuff for them. Add in zombie attacks and other gangs wanting to take over. Maintenance of the settlement would of course require a big group of people, else the town falls back to it's zombie infested state.

This i would love! Maybe throw in settlement building like being able to grow your own crops for food?

Anyways this isn't a wishlist.

I love the connection we all get from the game, the feeling of almost really being there. The Arma2 engine wonderfuly suspends disbelief , more so than any engine I've played in. Heart pounding moments that makes 5-10 hour marathons worth while. The Companionship from friends while traveling the bizare haunting land of DayZ.

Let the good times roll