Mutonizer

The "I know that guy" visual system

I think the renaming system would work well' date=' it wouldn't cause too much UI clutter either if you did it right. Just have one hotkey for renaming people, or make it a scroll wheel option when within whatever distance and looking at them. Then this opens a text box, you type the name real quick and hit enter to rename them. It'd take less than 3 seconds.

If you haven't renamed someone yet they should be known as "Unkown AZ012" or any 5 random characters, if they are wearing a mask they should always be "Unkown" and you shouldn't be able to rename them.

[/quote']

I like your improvement on the idea! It would make masks a valuable loot item and realistically enable "friendly fire", even amongst bandits... "HALT!" BANG! "Oh dammit Willie, I didn't know it was you with that mask on" ~sob~

Dammit' date=' wish Id seen this thread before I made a new one. Ive had a similar idea, although I think I took it a bit further in that you can assign colors to a badge on each person. The idea being you can quickly "remeber" someones face in a game with no faces. Either way something like this needs to be implemented. Link to my thread is in my sig.

[/quote']

I merged your thread with this one since it seems to be the most prominent. For future reference it's called the "SEARCH" function at the top of the page ;)

Ah there it went, I thought I was going crazy. I did search but this didnt come up, or I didnt see it. Problem solved I guess!

I am afraid these kind of nametag -systems will become easily exploited. Like that your hiding place in a bush will be revealed because your target happened to drag his aim through forests and mountains where you are hiding, and bing.. Nametag awkwardly popping up on that tree. It have this potential of becoming "camper scanner" where you can just aim vaguely in the forest to see is someone hiding there.

I am afraid these kind of nametag -systems will become easily exploited. Like that your hiding place in a bush will be revealed because your target happened to drag his aim through forests and mountains where you are hiding' date=' and bing.. Nametag awkwardly popping up on that tree. It have this potential of becoming "camper scanner" where you can just aim vaguely in the forest to see is someone hiding there.

[/quote']

That's exactly why I think I think it needs to be on the player skin texture. That way you're already seeing him and close up too.

great idea... my group encountered few bandits(with normal survivor skin),,,and i cant even recognize people after they get inside the house....

I'm here to show my support for this idea. Although its not a priority I think.

That's exactly why I think I think it needs to be on the player skin texture. That way you're already seeing him and close up too.

I originally thought that coloured dots on the player skin was the best way' date=' but given that what is being discussed here is not the standard name tag system built in to arma, there doesn't seem to be any reason it can't just be made to only work when you have direct line of sight, and a distance limit goes without saying. The devs will have to work out wether modifiying a player texture locally or displaying floating text is more technically difficult to implement but I have no fear that rocket will put any form of this feature in the game that would disturb stealth.

I'm here to show my support for this idea. Although its not a priority I think.

For me it is absolute priority number one. I don't know how much you have tried extended interaction with strangers in this game but this would change it from stupid and pointless to merely difficult and stressful.

Also it may be worth considering whether we want identification information to be deleted when you die. I am in two minds about this but I believe it would be more in line with the general philosophy of the game if it did.

• Like 1

If after skins are implemented, it's still quite difficult identifying people you know, something like this would be good.

However, if it turns out to be similar to the floating text system built into ARMA, I'd add the stipulation that it only be visible in mutual relationships. ie: Both parties acknowledge that they "know" each-other.

If that condition is met, potential griefing is avoided and the opportunity to remain hidden, if wanted, is preserved.

I am afraid these kind of nametag -systems will become easily exploited. Like that your hiding place in a bush will be revealed because your target happened to drag his aim through forests and mountains where you are hiding, and bing.. Nametag awkwardly popping up on that tree. It have this potential of becoming "camper scanner" where you can just aim vaguely in the forest to see is someone hiding there.

The nametag should of course only pop up when you can actually identify the other player (when you have unobstructed LOS, are close enough/zoomed in enough with binocs for identification, and the light/visibility is sufficient). A masked/ghillied player would show up as Unknown, so masked/ghillied gangs would have to use special clothing/items to identify each other.