Sign in to follow this  
owlsep

Tips for a newbie???

Im a newbie and i need some tips on how i could get a gun without getting attacked by players or zombies. (Zombies are a real pain for me!)

Edited by Owlsep

Look for somewhere with military tents or deer stands (little wooden outposts). If you aggro zombies, just stand up and sprint, run through a building to lose them and then move on. If you find a multi-story building you can generally run upstairs and loot before they can reach you. Just hope there's a weapon spawn :P if you are out of luck, just look for a hatchet in industrial areas, then make your way elsewhere to find something better.

Or you can read this.

http://www.mmogames.com/gamenews/5442/the-ultimate-dayz-beginners-guide

Also I'm finding that the open houses have better odds of holding at least a pistol or rifle than they used to. Just dont run into a place without exits if zombies are chasing you.

Learn where you can find barns, at worse they have a crossbow but sometimes you can get some nice rifles, shotguns and hatchets in them. Also look for tool sheds for hatchets, they are better than most guns these days.

Guard houses (tiny green buildings outside of other buildings) also often have pistols.

If you can, print out a map (I use a 2x2). Now I kind of know my way around and dont need it as much, but it will help you a lot.

Also if you are unarmed, dont be too afraid of getting shot... I mean talk about nothing to lose. Check those airfields, supermarkets and firehouses.

Find some mates and build up a tent camp. It's the best thing you can do in DayZ. Chillin' with your endgear and your mates at a fresh cutted woodpile, use the matches and talk to each other. Until you're hungry. Or thirsty - Because then its HUNTING TAAAIM :D

Once you figure out how the zombies "think" they will be the least of your worries. Don't trust anyone, 9 times out of 10 you'll get shot if you encounter another player. If you don't want to be a murderer try to avoid/flee when you see another player. GET OFF THE COAST as soon as possible. Find a Makarov, some ammo, and some food/water and GO. Grocery stores have your survival gear such as hunting knife, compass, map, matches, watch etc... buy they are frequented by players for that reason. Hospitals have your medical supplies but you'll most likely have to shoot out the windows to get in (it will attract zombies). Fire houses have some military equipment/weapons but are hotspots in the big cities (Cherno/Elektro/Stary/Berezino) and are often camped by bored players who want an easy kill. Apartment buildings (usually in clusters of 3) and churches have some pretty good loot also. There is Stary and NW Airfield which are loaded with military equipment/weapons but they are also war zones, there are a lot of people at those two locations and it's very likely that you will get shot at. Don't run through open fields if you can help it, go through the forest to avoid being spotted by other players. And most important, get used to dying. The second you get comfortable with your surroundings and you drop your guard, someone will drop you. Have fun and welcome to DayZ!

The very first thing that you should do is get off the Bean Coast (Should be Flashlight Coast by now).

Now, there is three ways.

First way : has few friends with you and search for weapons in villages and barns not cities. (Do this if you have friends.)

Second way : go prone and search every single barn for rifle. (Do this if you want to be a lonewolf regardless of friends or not.)

Third way : ask a stranger to help you (not to mention that stranger may kill you). After the stranger helps you, you can either : (1) shoot the stranger and take his loot (2) ask to join him (3) become lonewolf (4) go gunblazing in cities.

Edited by Ansonh92

I had such a pain trying to get setup. I say just get of the coast like everyone says. Head in land, and find some barns and industrial sites.

Also try finding a low population server at first. Less Zed's less pvpers (usually). That way you can get used to staying alive for a bit.

Stay off the coast. Google DayZ map. I'd link it but not sure if it's allowed. that will have your points of interest. If you log out and back in again, the second name on the bottom right is where you are located. HATCHETS ARE BOSS in cities on packed servers. run through buildings/alleys (basically LOS the infected *aka zombies*).. You only need to drink/eat when it's flashing. Make sure to bandage when bleeding. Click on your backpack to open bag to put items in it, if you over pack it, the items disappear.

Grocery stores are where you want to hit up. :)

Don't get attached to your gear.

Welcome to DayZ :beans:

It might be a bit noobish but you can log out (abort mission) when being chased. Next time you log in they are gone.