InDIGnation

Health screen

Hi, just thought I'd share a couple thoughts on what could be changed in the future.

I know DayZ is meant to be realistic and all that, but I don't feel that the blur effect on the screen when at low health is necessary: it just distracts from the game and makes it frustrating to play as you try to scour the floor for loot. The thing is, I know I'm hurt, I can see the blood meter and don't need some weird screen filter to tell me that I'm about to die.

I know it seems a bit petty, but for someone who spends a lot of time at low health, it can get annoying after a while. Incidentally, can you bring back a starter weapon? Even if it's just a useless old knife, at least give us newbies some last resort of defending ourselves.

When you spawn with a weapon it makes places like Cherno and Electro like a war ground. (not that majority of people cant find an axe in the first 5 minutes)

I disagree about the health thing, because it's meant to be like that. You may feel annoyed, yet most don't I guess. You're badly hurt, your view will get blurry, won't be able to concentrate, etc.

I agree on the weapons though. Something like a hatchet at the beginning would be fine.

I disagree. I've given blood for years and on days when I'm especially sleep deprived or malnourished I can tell the hit just that small amount of blood has taken on me. I don't feel like the disorientation is there to warn you of impending doom but rather to hinder your efforts to prevent it. It was actually one of the first things I really enjoyed as I became more enveloped in DayZ that instead of blood effects over my eyes I became unsteady and the edges of my vision blurred. The first time it happened I had just found my first pistol and was pinned down by sniper fire. I turned to take out the zombie gnawing on me and as I bandaged the world went black and white. My stomach lurched and I felt the lukewarm beans I had earlier scarfed down coming back up... Death was upon me and all I could do was run.

Taking this out and just having the meters depletes not only the realism but also the effect the game can have on the player. This is of course my opinion, but I will always remember my first death, I don't think I would if my vision was the same the tension would have been gone and I would've probably just turned to open fire on the sniper (regardless of the futility of that choice.)

EDIT: I just thought I'd even rather like more effects for meter represented information, Let me turn my meters off and hear a rumbling stomach when hungry or dry smacking lips when thirsty a subtle shiver and groan will tell me it's cold out. I love being immersed in DayZ, few other games have even a tenth the current immersion bump that up and I'm a Survivor for life.

Edited by Royalimpact

The screen effects at low health are needed. Since you are wounded and low on blood, this simulates how hazy you would be in real life. It can get frustrating, but it teaches you to pack med supplies.

As for starter weapons, you should be able to find one very easily in Cherno/Elektro/Deer Stands. If you are having trouble with zombie aggro, just remember that if you run into a building that has two exits, and leave through the other one, you will loose all zombie aggro.

Flares, smoke, and empty cans/bottles can be used to distract zombies.

Finding weapons is far too easy. It should be much harder to find them and when you do, ammunition should be scarce.

Flares, smoke, and empty cans/bottles can be used to distract zombies.

They can? Then maybe tin cans aren't so useless after all.

I know flares and smoke can (also a crippled person aswell) but I've never tryed out the cans/bottles.

That's the point. It's a disability you suffer from at low health. Much like black and white. It makes the game more dangerous at low health, beyond the simple 'you die sooner' thing. It's called depth of mechanic, and generally it's considered a good thing.