nzcanucksteven@gmail.com

Becoming your typical FPS PvP game?

Sadly I know one of those idiots who jumps from server to server around electro with a Lee enfield just to kill players - not to loot. His mentality is sadly... If I die, eh... it was just a LE and those can be found in any empty server. I can just see more and more of that style of player who are coming onto the game with no intention of survive... but for the PvP aspect of the game.

It's pretty upsetting to see stuff like that, and as a server owner I hear and see it once in awhile. I don't think the game is padded with enough content for actually killing people for no reason, so hopefully people like that will fall off eventually. I don't mind PvP, or losing all my stuff, but nothing pisses me off more than getting sniped and finding my corpse by luck 6 hours later completely untouched.

• Like 1

The only thing that would fix server jumping and actually make people care about the crap they lost is unique characters per server. If you log on a server that character is unique there. If you log on another server and expect to have your geared out sniper set up for sniping on a hill you will just load on the shore as a fresh character. But sadly this mechanic would never be implemented.

1 Character permanently bound to the server it was created on.

Wanna play on a new server? Sure! Log on that server and find yourself on the shore again starting from scratch all over again.

• Like 2

The only thing that would fix server jumping and actually make people care about the crap they lost is unique characters per server. If you log on a server that character is unique there. If you log on another server and expect to have your geared out sniper set up for sniping on a hill you will just load on the shore as a fresh character. But sadly this mechanic would never be implemented.

Wanna play on a new server? Sure! Log on that server and find yourself on the shore again starting from scratch all over again.

That is an interesting idea - never going to be implemented due to a number of issues that I can think of but I like the way you are thinking.

Edited by NZStalker

http://dayzmod.com/f...-many-problems/

Discussed there, but it seems most don't agree. I do, very much (see my post on page 2). I fear the game might fall apart without a change like this for the reason I described there.

In the end I think we need this as a server option. So server could opt in to be local only, not global characters, while the majority of servers would default to how they are now.

Edited by Paratus
  • Like 1

http://dayzmod.com/f...-many-problems/

Discussed there, but it seems most don't agree. I do, very much (see my post on page 2). I fear the game might fall apart without a change like this for the reason I described there.

In the end I think we need this as a server option. So server could opt in to be local only, not global characters, while the majority of servers would default to how they are now.

I can see how this COULD work... but I must say... all the NZ and Australian servers from about 5 onwards are constantly full to the point where you can not join (until the server crashes then there is a huge rush to jump on before it fills up again) Myself and my clan buddys who are spread over NZ and Aust generally have to join up on US and GB servers with pings sometimes around 150, other times around 300ish if we want to play together. If something like this was implemented... it would mean being locked into servers in different timezones from ourselves. Not to mention what happens when a server goes offline?

I can see what you are saying though... I just personally don't think its very practical... especially for the countries which don't have hundreds and hundreds of servers to choose from.

But anyway... thats getting really off topic from the OP.

I think the situation in DayZ would relate more to the situation we encounter in the movie "A Boy and his Dog". If you never seen it, do it. It's awesome.

Main reason exactly why I play dayz less and less nowadays. It´s basically just another shooter, mixed with simulator elements and zombies in sandbox world.

• Like 1

For at least the roughly 3 months I have played DayZ, it has always been mostly about shooting on sight. Yet, it was a little bit different earlier than now. And it's probably heading even more to the direction it has been going on lately.

In short: Once the supply of new players eventually starts to diminish (a.k.a. survivors), there will only be the old players left (a.k.a. mostly bandits) - And they have nothing more left to do in the game than to shoot at each other.

Maybe the game features/mechanics change before that happens, but probably not fast enough to really offset the playerbase change.

• Like 1

For at least the roughly 3 months I have played DayZ, it has always been mostly about shooting on sight. Yet, it was a little bit different earlier than now. And it's probably heading even more to the direction it has been going on lately.

In short: Once the supply of new players eventually starts to diminish (a.k.a. survivors), there will only be the old players left (a.k.a. mostly bandits) - And they have nothing more left to do in the game than to shoot at each other.

Maybe the game features/mechanics change before that happens, but probably not fast enough to really offset the playerbase change.

Rocket has said on a youtube channel that I watch that PvP is mostly generated because players are getting to a point where there isn't alot to do but to hunt other players who are unpredictable (hence giving the fun aspect) This I can understand and accept until more content comes. Its the new players who are coming into the game with the PvP shoot first mentality that sort of worries me in regards to the direction of the mod. Although maybe its always been like that and I've just had good experiences when I first started playing. I remember feeling so tense the first time I came along another player and the first awkward encounters where we didn't just open up on each other straight away. It was nerve racking! Its that part of the game which is slowly disappearing unfortunately which is a shame for all those nw players who are just joining into PvP battlegrounds right from the get go.

Yeah sure there is not much else to do but here is a novel idea. How about moving on to another game? Thats what I usually do when I get bored with a game. It is poor etiquette to get your kicks harassing those that are scurrying about trying to have some fun playing the game. All these lame excuses about her/she gamer is doing this or that so I am going to do it talk is just lame. I have not been playing long but thought the game had some interesting aspects I wanted to experience. So I got the game and have been sorely disappointed. I spawned in a game one day and with some skill managed to get into Elektro and spent my time running from a guy with a sniper rifle and handgun. Nevermind I didn't have a weapon. This guy was determined to kill me no matter the cost. I ended up dying from blood lost due to the whole city of zombies chasing us. That experience is typical. Had a guy with an axe chase me as I am leaving the coast. He then says RUN over the mic. LOL...I found that funny but at some point it gets lame. All these people streaming their funny adventures on youtube, twitch, and various other sites as if this makes them leet. I am not one to give up easily...comes from my days in the military so I will stay at it for a little bit more but I must say I have better things to do with my gaming time than getting killed in a game by groups of geared players getting their kicks.

Edited by Mysery
  • Like 1

I think the reason for the default action being to simply shoot first and ask questions later is simply because the game does not really have enough incentive for working together. After all, whats the point working together for better gear when you can just take it from them. Having for example small pockets of military NPC survivors with weapons would certainly spice things up given once the AI knows you're there, its generally deadly accurate with its shots (regular Arma 2 veteran here). Would incentivise players to work together to eliminate the camps and grab their gear.Having player constructed camps or bases could also help? Go a step further and allow for a small number of friendly NPC's to guard your camp/base but you'd have to equip them first before they could be of any use (thus go and find more gear). It would lead to a greater diversity in PvP encounters as well I think.

But those are just some random thoughts, I love the game how it is presently. Only game to give me a rush with PvP outside of EVE Online and thats what keeps me coming back. I can forgive Arma 2 its faults because of its general gameplay. I go in knowing exactly what I will get from playing it which is an entirely different FPS experience alltogether =)

• Like 1

Not so much that - Im not that attached to my gear. But it is undeniable that those big cites have become PvP hotspots.... well, not so much PvP but rather high powered snipers sitting on top of a hill vrs everyone else down in the towns. Do I find being shot by them enjoyable in game? I'd say not. I at least like a chance to shoot back....

But thats getting off topic from the thread.

its an evolving world on each server though. if you get onto a more experienced server, you will find that electro and cherno are ghost towns. ocassionally a fresh spawned newbie will show up, but for the most part, on a server where most people are geared up and somewhere north, there is almost zero action in coastal towns, so snipers move ono other servers.

this is the greatest part about the game. every server has evolved differently. so you always have to be on edge, not knowing what to expect.

On the other hand, snipers being a weapon of choice, makes sense. the game is perma death and death comes swiftly. countering snipers is thus the toughest job in the game, as it should be. you either need a thermal scope, or you need to thread cautiously, and scan areas that you plan on traversing.

PvP is predominant because there are weapons, and they are satisfying to use. hunting humans is also immesuarably more satisfying then hunting A.I.

Unless the game moves away from a sandbox with severe restrictions to what kind of gameplay is encouraged/discouraged, the PvP aspect won't change much.

• Like 1

YNZstalker, yes definitely. No one has ever replied to me when I typed or spoke on a server. Maybe some are embarrassed and others just lying low. Also, I've never heard anyone speak on a server unless I went into the server with them.

No one trusts anyone and when I speak to people, and there is no response, I assume they will all kill me given the chance. It means you have to make your friends in the forums and go in together. It's hard to make friends with people in the game.

Also, I play a mix of quite and busy servers for different things. If I'm going to loot in the city, low player numbers is best, otherwise higher is fine.

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

Agreed.

Banditry in this game has changed from "I kill you because i need your gear" to "I kill you for the lulz of it", I think part of the reason for that is pve being too easy

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. Please be honest with yourselves, once you have the "hang" of avoiding/dispatching zombies there is little else to do. Sorry to say it but that is the conclusion I have come to after about 600 hours of play.

I highly disagree.

99% of the DayZ players think the same way as you do.

,,I collected everything,best gear,best weapon,all supplies stored...what now?,,

,,Well....i guess ill just go on a rampage and start killing anyone i encounter,it makes the game less boring for me,so i guess being survivor after some hours of gameplay just gets over you,everyone turns into a bandit sooner or later ,,

,,Shoot on sight,cuz there isnt anything left to do in this game,right?

WRONG !!!

It all goes down to your own playstyle.

There are manny options after you gather everything you need. (for me THATS the part when the fun is starting to frow)

Most common one and what turned this game into ruthless and brutal PvP experiance is simply the same way of thinking after the ,,survivor,, type of gameplay gets ,,boring,,

Here is my looking at the situation of what can you do after gearing yourself up to the teeth and run out of ideas.

Classic bandit rampage are so unoriginal and uncreative these days,every sec player thinks the same way :

Kill on sight,loot,find another target.

But there is another option.

Continue surviving like you suppost to , start a surviving marathon (days without dying) , be a helping hand (medic) or silent guardin angel (bandit hunter) , its a risky path but also more chalenging one.

Make a team,start your own anti-bandit group.

This game needs balance,and new players simply doesnt get a shoot of knowing the game before dying over 500 times in the first 45 minutes.

DayZ is a social experiment and a mental test game/simulator. (rocket said that himself)

It simply tests your limits of how long can you keep your humanity at highest level and keep moving on.

Edited by VaultDweller
  • Like 2

What is so innovative about dayz annyways ? In my opinion its just a sand-box coop shooter, the current zombies are irrelevant because they only appear in cities/villages and the survival is just gathering some items from time to time(easy to master), nothing that hasnt been there before. So to conclude ..yes it is just another (outdated?!) shooter-pvp mod.

ps: with a realistic and graphic-engine ( terrain fading out @ 200m ..lolz) a solid zombie ai and some sort of "levling/perk/class" system it would be pretty awesome.

Edited by Wiesn69
  • Like 1

I highly disagree.

99% of the DayZ players think the same way as you do.

,,I collected everything,best gear,best weapon,all supplies stored...what now?,,

,,Well....i guess ill just go on a rampage and start killing anyone i encounter,it makes the game less boring for me,so i guess being survivor after some hours of gameplay just gets over you,everyone turns into a bandit sooner or later ,,

,,Shoot on sight,cuz there isnt anything left to do in this game,right?

WRONG !!!

It all goes down to your own playstyle.

There are manny options after you gather everything you need. (for me THATS the part when the fun is starting to frow)

Most common one and what turned this game into ruthless and brutal PvP experiance is simply the same way of thinking after the ,,survivor,, type of gameplay gets ,,boring,,

Here is my looking at the situation of what can you do after gearing yourself up to the teeth and run out of ideas.

Classic bandit rampage are so unoriginal and uncreative these days,every sec player thinks the same way :

Kill on sight,loot,find another target.

But there is another option.

Continue surviving like you suppost to , start a surviving marathon (days without dying) , be a helping hand (medic) or silent guardin angel (bandit hunter) , its a risky path but also more chalenging one.

Make a team,start your own anti-bandit group.

This game needs balance,and new players simply doesnt get a shoot of knowing the game before dying over 500 times in the first 45 minutes.

DayZ is a social experiment and a mental test game/simulator. (rocket said that himself)

It simply tests your limits of how long can you keep your humanity at highest level and keep moving on.

Problem is from what I see people saying, is that a "survivor marathon" is boring for the case of some people as they just walk around, sometimes shooting a zombie if they see him (also giving away your location at times.), and collecting food and water then waiting to go hungry/thirsty/cold. As for the helpers, you're suspecting yourself to be shot by the same players helping you because usually, no one can trust anyone to get close enough unless they actively say it. Bandit hunter is something cool to do but it's difficult and near-impossible to tell a bandit unless you are close enough to hear it or they have a sniper rifle.

Some people want an incentive to do something after they have acquired all they need. It doesnt always have to be "risk it all for small activities that wont always come my way."

Edited by Fefe
  • Like 1

The thing is, that once you've collected the silenced weapons, nvgs and all that, it is easy to survive for days if you want to. It is actually easy even with nothing but a hatchet as a weapon.

Log in, head to some smaller town, go find an animal or check some barn for beans, eat the food, get water from a pond/well, log out. Repeat the next day.

It isn't much of a challenge to survive for weeks like this... It's just that it is utterly boring for most people. And people rarely play games to get bored - usually they play games to have fun. Games are entertainment.

There obviously are alternatives to just hiding in the woods and getting bored - or being a bandit:

- Go to the coast to help the unarmed players... Well, that's a more interesting challenge, but eventually gets you killed. Either some third guy shoots you while you try contact / coop with the unarmed player (because this interaction with other players usually hinders your ability to play smart and stay in cover, etc.). Or, the even more likely scenario, the guy you are helping kills you and gets away with all your fancy gear. Might still be fun for a few times, but eventually, it gets kinda annoying to have to re-acquire all that high end gear again and again, knowing that some backstabbers are running around with your previous gear on some server and you have basically no way to even find the guy ever again. Want to go and give your newly acquired gear to one more backstabbing bandit?

- And basically it's the same thing when playing medic, etc.

- And about hunting bandits... Even though killing bandits is highly rewarding - both loot-wise as well as emotionally... The problem is that you cannot really recognize them. So... You'll just end up doing nearly no bandit hunting at all, or accidentally killing those who were not real bandits - thus actually being a bandit yourself. It is rarely that you can say with any certainty that someone is a bandit. Basically only if you see him shoot someone in the back or shoot an unarmed player. It is quite rarely that you manage to witness such a thing.

- And how about cleaning the towns of the zeds? Well, you can easily rack up some 1000 zed kills in a few days if you really want to. But to what end? The zeds spawn back within minutes. You've essentially done nothing by shooting them - apart from causing every bandit to be aware of your presense, which really isn't that smart and will lead to your premature death.

So, if you want to intentionally play in "suicidal mode", then there are lots of options. But if you want to survive, then it's either hiding in the woods avoiding other players and getting bored - or being a bandit and just shooting everyone on sight. There is only so much you can do within the game mechanics and still call it a sensible thing to do.

• Like 4

Another thing that I think is worth to mention is how hard it is to shoot down a zombie after it has aggro-ed on you.

You literally HAVE to sneak everywhere around zombies if you don't wanna deal with broken bones, bleeding every 3 seconds and being knocked out at 9000 health.

The way I see it the "problem" that has to be addressed first would be this one. Have walkers and runners, make walkers way more common than runners, make them walk around in crowds, actually give us the option to shoot at zombies in an open field and stand a chance, make them hit you in a realistic way and not the jerky way it is now that makes us miss 5 shots before being able to kill it - the five shots that will give him enough time to break your legs, make you bleed and maybe knock you out.

Exploring becomes boring after some time because you have to sneak everywhere. Yeah it's a blast at the begin, but when you got a gun you will want to shoot it at things which you really can't do in a reliable way in this game.

Just my 2 cents. Fix zombies and have walkers and runners, walkers being of course common and runners more rare.

• Like 1

I for one almost never kill on sight, I've been playing the mod from the start and I still find more enjoyment in helping people with medical supplies/food/water, killing zeds, you name it. But in self defense I always find shoot outs adrenalin-pumping goodness. So I love bandits. I love this mod and play with dozens of people. But my gameplay has honestly been ruined by the goddamn asshole motherfuckers out there who go about sniping people who just spawn in for mere fun. It pisses me off and ruins immersion. Think about it, just woke up on Chernarus, things are weird, zombies going crazy. You take a few steps then *bam* sniper blew off your head. It's fucking weak. I hate how this game has gone popular because people are fucking ruining it. Not to mention the hackers. I fucking hate hackers with a passion.

I love bandits though, I love them because their a good challenge to survival and fun necessarily part of DayZ. Fuck the new kids KOS, fuck the "veterans" who are so damn bored they want to ruin it for the rest of us, and lastly, fuck the hackers that are bringing this mod to hell.

To the medics, cheers and kudos. To the true bandits, cheers. To my fellow survivors, cheers. The rest, fuck off and die.

• Like 4

I seriously hate when good things become mainstream in some way. In this example the wider playerbase brings in a lot of the so called "CoD-kiddies", and I can see why those might destroy the immersion for some people. But still it´s free for all. Go about it however you like. I don´t think its fair to judge ppl that are just enjoying this in a whole different way.

I mean they impact your gameexperience not only in a bad way. Try to see it from this perspective: There are more players -> Overall a rather good thing for many reasons, There are more PvP-players -> Get used to it, differ your playstyle, be even more on the edge, I think it will result in yourself honing your skills wich again is a good thing...and so on...

As stated before this whole thing is merely an alphaversion of what might come and so far it´s one of the most different and intriguing experiences I had so far in my 15+years of coregaming. So in the end: things change, as the playerbase changes. It´s a fact and I don´t think it will all go down the drain, it will just shift until it´s in some form of balance that might even appeal to most of us already taken in by the whole idea of DayZ ;)

But, even if it isa PvP game, its not a typical one for sure. The PvP in this game is so unique and real that this mod will never be typical.

The feeling of surviving a zombie apocalypse is long gone. This game is more close to the movie "The Road" were cannibals ( i know you cant eat other humans in DayZ cannibals = bandits) hunt survivors and survivors avoid contact with other humans. If you have not seen it do so and pretend that there are no zombies in DayZ mod and you know what im talking about.

Besides that the OP got a point. I dont give a shit about zombies hopin och walking across the field or town. I just think now there a sniper could be hiding and poff the mod lost its purpose.

• Like 3

Besides that the OP got a point. I dont give a shit about zombies hopin och walking across the field or town. I just think now there a sniper could be hiding and poff the mod lost its purpose.

Did it? I disagree. The purpose is to survive both the zombies and the other people in the area. The fact that you have to take into account both the (relatively stupid and shortsighted) zombies and the fact that you might have someone lining up on you from cover makes the gameplay much more interesting. If all you had to worry about was zombies, it would be a simple matter of belly crawling everywhere you go near towns, and not having to worry about lines of sight, cover, and ability to retaliate.It does feel like The Road, and I love that feeling. This is the only game I know of offhand that's like that, and I am glad that Rocket seems to want to keep it that way. I can't wait to see what this is like when it's polished.