nzcanucksteven@gmail.com

Becoming your typical FPS PvP game?

Hey boys, girls, bandits and the odd internet troll.

Ive been thinking hard about this game which I have become addicted to. I would not consider myself a veteran of Dayz by any stretch (having only survived 9 days now) but I am enjoying the ever evolving gameplay but wanted to see if others have come to the same conclusion that I have...

TLDR - edited out.

As I play through the mod Ive decided that the game has become... harsher for the new players to the mod. I understand that this is a sandbox game and that there is no way to correctly play the mod. Out of curiosity... Would people agree though that less people use the in game chat to talk to people now due to the fear of being killed? Has the game become more of a PvP experience now where food and water has become sidelined to finding a good rifle and sitting on the hill near the airfield, Electro, Crno ect? Are people starting to develop fears of joining full servers or leaving to find empty servers when more than 10 players are in a server?

The point that I am (slowly) trying to make... Has DayZ become another typical PVP FPS on a larger, slower scale where the common consensus is kill or be killed. Has the days of talking to other players and encountering new people in DayZ disappeared and been replaced with just a simple 'if I see you, I will shoot you' style of game (proof of this is the murder tab in relation to the bandits alive / killed tabs on the home page which has jumped by leap and bounds this one week alone.) Is the only real way to be safe in this mod to travel in a group and use intimidation? (even then... we still get players charging us with a hatchet and trying to take one of us with them before being taken down by gunfire or the odd sniper opening up on us) I hope not.... The thing I love about Dayz is that is it different from all those other games, you can cut the tension with a knife when you do stumble on another survivor and you DONT just open up on each other.... now however, the only tension I have is am I going to be sniped and killed instantly when I cross that hill / tree line / building which is the same tension I have in any other FPS game / mod...

Not bitching, just checking out some of the other opinions out there....

Edited by NZStalker
  • Like 8

Too long to read, sorry. In short, the answer is that the game is a sandbox, and people will do what they want. Honestly, I've seen it ebb and flow like the tide: Sometimes, everyone is a bandit, other times people are more helpful then usual.

• Like 1

Yes, it is absolutely typical as long as you're willing to completely ignore all of the things that make it unique and innovative or the fact that the vast majority of deaths are not PvP related.

• Like 1

I apologize for my attention span, which is equal to a gold fishes' one (oh god my engrish, please forgive me), but, to answer your question... No, it is not turning into a FPS/PVP game. Sure it is a part of it, and a fun one (because you know that if you die - you have to start all over again from nothing). Most people still die from Zombies/infected/whateveralienstheymaybe and you can avoid players if you want to.

Most of the time I don't shoot people (on the coast) on sight, especially not unarmed ones. I saved a girl from zombies yesterday - I thought about giving her the lesson of "don't trust anyone with a weapon" and shooting her in the face but nah just warned him/her about other people.

I used to trust people like you, but then I took an axe to the knee.

Edited by Private Poptarts
  • Like 1

Yes, it is absolutely typical as long as you're willing to completely ignore all of the things that make it unique and innovative or the fact that the vast majority of deaths are not PvP related.

Didn't know that. Although I guess that number may not be correct as people tend to just run into zombies 3 or 4 times these days so that they can die and spawn closer to friends / a certain area.

I don't feel that it has BECOME a FPS but it is slowly BECOMING a FPS if any of the threads here to go by (people saying they now KOS anyone cos it happens to them alot etc). Even the group i joined (Regulators) are threatening to make the game a more deathmatch style with Bandits vs Regulators.

Its a free choice world and many people feel the game gets boring after you get good gear. I like the game as it plays out as i don't want missions/quests etc. But what i feel needs to be done is simply have servers where you cannot kill other players (PvE only) and then have servers which allow PvP. This will aloow those who want to deathmatch DayZ to still do so, but those who want either a break from looking over their shoulder all the time or more teambased scavenging (on PvE servers the zombies are tougher, run in buildings, more of them etc etc to keep the challenge).

If it stays as it is it will devolve into a PvP game. With people either adopting KOS mentalitity or simply leaving as they cannot be asked with it anymore (theres better FPS games out there why should i play this one?).

• Like 2

If Dayz became another "typical" FPS game then how come nobody is allowed to run full sprint and fire their guns set on full auto and get perfect headshots yet? Last I checked Dayz didn't have such a shitty shooting mechanic like Call of Failure.

Edited by Bulletproof Sandwich
  • Like 1

I don't feel that it has BECOME a FPS but it is slowly BECOMING a FPS if any of the threads here to go by (people saying they now KOS anyone cos it happens to them alot etc). Even the group i joined (Regulators) are threatening to make the game a more deathmatch style with Bandits vs Regulators.

Its a free choice world and many people feel the game gets boring after you get good gear. I like the game as it plays out as i don't want missions/quests etc. But what i feel needs to be done is simply have servers where you cannot kill other players (PvE only) and then have servers which allow PvP. This will aloow those who want to deathmatch DayZ to still do so, but those who want either a break from looking over their shoulder all the time or more teambased scavenging (on PvE servers the zombies are tougher, run in buildings, more of them etc etc to keep the challenge).

If it stays as it is it will devolve into a PvP game. With people either adopting KOS mentalitity or simply leaving as they cannot be asked with it anymore (theres better FPS games out there why should i play this one?).

This is exactly what I mean. It now has got to the point where our clan members are adopting a shoot on sight policy (which I am not a fan of....) because it has just become too dangerous to even attempt communication with other players...

If Dayz became another "typical" FPS game then how come nobody is allowed to run full sprint and fire their guns set on full auto and get perfect headshots yet? Last I checked Dayz didn't have such a shitty shooting mechanic like Call of Failure.

Sorry, I've not played the latest COD games. I know you can't run and sprint ect BF3 (which is the game our clan used to play before transferring to dayZ)

Hey boys, girls, bandits and the odd internet troll.

Ive been thinking hard about this game which I have become addicted to. I would not consider myself a veteran of Dayz by any stretch (having only survived 9 days now) but I am enjoying the ever evolving gameplay but wanted to see if others have come to the same conclusion that I have...

TLDR - edited out.

As I play through the mod Ive decided that the game has become... harsher for the new players to the mod. I understand that this is a sandbox game and that there is no way to correctly play the mod. Out of curiosity... Would people agree though that less people use the in game chat to talk to people now due to the fear of being killed? Has the game become more of a PvP experience now where food and water has become sidelined to finding a good rifle and sitting on the hill near the airfield, Electro, Crno ect? Are people starting to develop fears of joining full servers or leaving to find empty servers when more than 10 players are in a server?

The point that I am (slowly) trying to make... Has DayZ become another typical PVP FPS on a larger, slower scale where the common consensus is kill or be killed. Has the days of talking to other players and encountering new people in DayZ disappeared and been replaced with just a simple 'if I see you, I will shoot you' style of game (proof of this is the murder tab in relation to the bandits alive / killed tabs on the home page which has jumped by leap and bounds this one week alone.) Is the only real way to be safe in this mod to travel in a group and use intimidation? (even then... we still get players charging us with a hatchet and trying to take one of us with them before being taken down by gunfire or the odd sniper opening up on us) I hope not.... The thing I love about Dayz is that is it different from all those other games, you can cut the tension with a knife when you do stumble on another survivor and you DONT just open up on each other.... now however, the only tension I have is am I going to be sniped and killed instantly when I cross that hill / tree line / building which is the same tension I have in any other FPS game / mod...

Not bitching, just checking out some of the other opinions out there....

I was talking about this earlier with a friend. The answer your questions are Yes. I think the game has exploded with new players because the Idea is phenominal and the potential for greatness is there. I love DayZ, I love surviving with my friends. But we are having to many CoD kiddies coming in and turning this into a PVP fest. It's terrible, and its ruining the game for people who want a actual zombie apocalypse survival like me. Killing people is great, but its becoming to focused and taking away from the entire game. Sure some of you will say "PVP IS JUST LIKE HOW IT WOULD BE IN IRL". Yes, but sitting on type of a hill near elektro and sniping new spawns is bullshit. Declaring friendly and offerning supplies to people then them killing you for Lol's is also bullshit. Clans taking over every item in the game and hording them because "they can" and for PVP is ruining what I believe Rocket wanted for this game, in my opinion.

I've tried to declare friendly and offer supplies but nobody wants to play that way, its just "run to Stary grab weapons, kill people". I can't even count the number of times i've been killed trying to help or when i'm unarmed. And its sad, because I had more faith in the PC community. This is X-box live type of shit that's going on.

• Like 3

More like Arma PvP with zombies. The attitude is pretty typical lol. However, there's a lack of anything much else to do unless you're a mountain man, and of course there's always the fact that people are people. All the time.

It's not quite there yet, but it probably will be nigh on fully fledged by the time stuff that might counter this gets in.

• Like 1

I was talking about this earlier with a friend. The answer your questions are Yes. I think the game has exploded with new players because the Idea is phenominal and the potential for greatness is there. I love DayZ, I love surviving with my friends. But we are having to many CoD kiddies coming in and turning this into a PVP fest. It's terrible, and its ruining the game for people who want a actual zombie apocalypse survival like me. Killing people is great, but its becoming to focused and taking away from the entire game. Sure some of you will say "PVP IS JUST LIKE HOW IT WOULD BE IN IRL". Yes, but sitting on type of a hill near elektro and sniping new spawns is bullshit. Declaring friendly and offerning supplies to people then them killing you for Lol's is also bullshit. Clans taking over every item in the game and hording them because "they can" and for PVP is ruining what I believe Rocket wanted for this game, in my opinion.

I've tried to declare friendly and offer supplies but nobody wants to play that way, its just "run to Stary grab weapons, kill people". I can't even count the number of times i've been killed trying to help or when i'm unarmed. And its sad, because I had more faith in the PC community. This is X-box live type of shit that's going on.

Have you never seen a post apocalyptic movie before?

Mad Max

The Postman

The Road

Try watching these movies and then compare it to your one massive run on sentence...

• Like 2

However, there's a lack of anything much else to do unless you're a mountain man, and of course there's always the fact that people are people. All the time.

This I very much agree with - our clan dayz group (of 5/6 players) wanted to build a car just as something to do but the car parts generally are around towns = us being shot at. Sadly the group is starting to develop a shoot on sight policy which I'm not too happy with which sort of sparked this thread.

Eh

Edited by NZStalker

I wouldn't call it a 'typical' fps. Maybe typical in the fact that in other FPSs, it is 'typical' to shoot other players you see when in a FFA game.

In the sense that I've never seen a FPS game with an absolutely enormous map, vehicles, snipers, buildings, and zombies quite like day Z, no, its not typical.

Like any other games, will you find people harassing players from a fortified position simply for amusement? Oh, definitely.

Edited by hoorah
  • Like 1

our clan dayz group (of 5/6 players) wanted to build a car just as something to do but the car parts generally are around towns = us being shot at.

aww. so you don't want any risks to being inside towns and looting for vehicle parts that could lead to a huge increase in traveling speed and a huge increase in storage space?

Edited by Ganjastar
  • Like 1

aww. so you don't want any risks to being inside towns and looting for vehicle parts that could lead to a huge increase in traveling speed and a huge increase in storage space?

Not so much that - Im not that attached to my gear. But it is undeniable that those big cites have become PvP hotspots.... well, not so much PvP but rather high powered snipers sitting on top of a hill vrs everyone else down in the towns. Do I find being shot by them enjoyable in game? I'd say not. I at least like a chance to shoot back....

But thats getting off topic from the thread.

Edited by NZStalker

I agree with the OP. Please be honest with yourselves, once you have the "hang" of avoiding/dispatching zombies there is little else to do. Sorry to say it but that is the conclusion I have come to after about 600 hours of play.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. Please be honest with yourselves, once you have the "hang" of avoiding/dispatching zombies there is little else to do. Sorry to say it but that is the conclusion I have come to after about 600 hours of play.

I agree with this completely. I was more aiming this at the newer players spawning on the beach who seem to now all have the mentality of shoot on sight (which isn't necessary a bad thing) The mod seems to be developing to me to a more PvP style game right from the get go rather than for players who have all the loot and know all the tricks.

I don't play in any server with more than 15 players online.

I don't like being snipped plus I feel like survivors should be REALLY rare. Just like in I'm legend (the book, not the movie) I want to feel alone in a deserted place.

• Like 2

@Bulletproof, have you watched the Book of Eli? Did you watch the end of The Road?

Both of these films were apocalypse types and both show forms of humanity and people working together.

Remember the scene in The Road where he shoots a cannibal with his revolver in the woods? Did he do THAT for fun and giggles? Also the ending i am sure you know is not exactly any form of FFA (Beach, Kid, People etc you know?).

In the Book of Eli there certainly are horrible people but the majority are working together something i don't see in DayZ unless its some 4-5 people hunting noobs and hoarding all the vehicles for themselves.

Take from Games too, You have Fallout without alot of shits like Raiders and the Enclave running around but theres also groups of people working together (Megaton). You also have Left 4 Dead and that IS a zombie FPS but has more teamwork then DayZ does!

Do you KOS?

• Like 1

I can see the angle of this, but it's a sandbox game, with up to 50 players. The game is about choice, though the common choice is usually to kill you for your stuff, that doesn't exactly mean its an FPS. Those 50 players can do whatever they want, not everyone is running around killing each other though. The game is about survival, and players drop the best loot. Sometimes you WILL get some idiots who just kill for the hell of it, but it's more common than not it's just for your stuff, than a stupid little murder number.

• Like 1

@Bulletproof, have you watched the Book of Eli? Did you watch the end of The Road?

Both of these films were apocalypse types and both show forms of humanity and people working together.

I imagine that if there was ever an apocalypse, be it disease, nuclear warfare, the dead rising ect where the dead numbered more than the living / non-infected then the survivors would band together for the common good as is shown in human nature and the people in forums going on about how they would shoot anyone on sight in those circumstances would eat there own words. This however is a game, and will be impossible to ever simulate that experience unless they had something like one death per CD key (which would just be a death sentence for that game) But thats sort of going off topic. =P

Remember the scene in The Road where he shoots a cannibal with his revolver in the woods? Did he do THAT for fun and giggles? Also the ending i am sure you know is not exactly any form of FFA (Beach, Kid, People etc you know?).

In the Book of Eli there certainly are horrible people but the majority are working together something i don't see in DayZ unless its some 4-5 people hunting noobs and hoarding all the vehicles for themselves.

Take from Games too, You have Fallout without alot of shits like Raiders and the Enclave running around but theres also groups of people working together (Megaton). You also have Left 4 Dead and that IS a zombie FPS but has more teamwork then DayZ does!

Do you KOS?

Have YOU watched the Book of Eli or The Road and not just the end of those movies? There were bandits, cannibals, and all forms os hostiles in the entire movie. THAT is the post apocalyptic story. The endings of those movies are literally a one in a billion scenario.

Also I would like to add to your Fallout reference. It had been decades/centuries since the actual start of said apocalypse so in that time moral and societal rules have returned to their world. In an apocalypse I think you would be lucky to see any form of communal effort within the first 10 years alone of post apocalyptic rebuilding.

Edited by Bulletproof Sandwich

Sometimes you WILL get some idiots who just kill for the hell of it, but it's more common than not it's just for your stuff, than a stupid little murder number.

Sadly I know one of those idiots who jumps from server to server around electro with a Lee enfield just to kill players - not to loot. His mentality is sadly... If I die, eh... it was just a LE and those can be found in any empty server. I can just see more and more of that style of player who are coming onto the game with no intention of survive... but for the PvP aspect of the game.

I've read posts like this since very early release so I'd say no it's not "becoming" a regular FPS.....

• Like 1