Sign in to follow this  
A.Shephard

Suggestion: High-power flashlight as non-lethal weapon

Hi, this is my first post on DayZ Forum so I apologize for any error and for my (bad) english.

I think I have a good idea that could expand a bit DayZ gameplay and personal game-planning.

I'm talking about a non-lethal weapon called Maxa Beam searchlight that operates as disorienting and temporary blinding device.

It appears as a big and heavy handled searchlight that can be used also (and espacially) during the daylight in order to blind zombies for few seconds or make them run away. Here's the website from which I get the idea: http://www.peakbeam.com/

This serachlight wouldn't be useful during night because it could be easily spotted from long distances and aggro zombies from behind the player and his sideways, even though it keeps blinding zombies/players looingk at the beam. However, if pointed at the sky, it will help to report your position to friends (and foe).

The maxa beam should have an operating angle of 35°-45° in which the light works. Outside that angle, the beam won't blind. Range should be from short to medium (20m - 50m I guess) depending on the battery charge.

I think this could be a great strategy-grade weapon that can be used in a lot of different situations: engaging an enemy, exploring blocks silently and easily, fallback from critical positions, escape a large number of angry zombies without noticing etc.

Someone should say: "Hey it's like that crappy flash light featured in BF3!". Well it's very different, first because it consumes batteries, second cause it can't be held with other weapons (maybe with the secondary gun, depending on staff decisions), third because it should be from rare to very rare in military barracks (actually this device is equipped by some special forces for real).

maxabeam1.jpg

Now I try to summarize the maxa beam traits:

Rarity: Rare/Very Rare (a bit more common for batteries)

Effective range: 20 to 50 meters (depending on battery charge)

Operating angle: 35/45° (possibly, also this depending on batteries)

Battery life: I suggest 200 seconds of constant lighting

Spawns: Barracks and, why not, heli crashes

Noise: Not at all

Slots: I suggest 2 slots both for the Maxa beam and battery (4 total). When equipped should replace primary weapon.

Effects on zombies: prevent them from follow you by blinding them for 4-5 seconds/make them run away from the light for few seconds

Effect on players: blind as long as the player looks at the beam

I think it would be also cool if the searchlight can be attached to vehicles (like ATV or cars)

Well those were my ideas, hope you appreciate! Of course the staff can shape the suggestions as they consider them properly for a possible entry in DayZ.

Let me know what you think about this!

Thanks ;)

So this turning into Alan Wake? :P

Interesting idea though. A search light is certainly a good idea and if it could be used independently by a passenger in a vehicle could be a great addition. Blinding players is already possible with other flashlights and car lights so this wouldn't be too big of a stretch to imagine.

However, I don't think it should affect zeds. Imagine if the zeds were attracted to the light instead, similar to a laser light and a cat. You could bring zombies at a distance to a particular area but it would still show your position to other survivors. That would be tense and have a high level of risk and reward.

Wow, that'd be pretty intense.

Welcome to the DayZ forums bud, if you plan on making many more posts, keep a lookout for the forum trolls; deadly little critters.

Pretty decent idea bud, I was sort of thinking the same thing. They have something sort of like this on the Choppers, but it's not as high powered as you're saying.

Interesting idea though. A search light is certainly a good idea and if it could be used independently by a passenger in a vehicle could be a great addition. Blinding players is already possible with other flashlights and car lights so this wouldn't be too big of a stretch to imagine.

However, I don't think it should affect zeds. Imagine if the zeds were attracted to the light instead, similar to a laser light and a cat. You could bring zombies at a distance to a particular area but it would still show your position to other survivors. That would be tense and have a high level of risk and reward.

Bwuahaha, I would be the controller of aggro!

*Spots survivor -> points large group of zombies toward him*

Edited by Tsyn
  • Like 1

I like the idea but that flashlight could be overpowered ... If u get chased by a zombie horde put on that flahlight lay on the ground and you will be vanished :D

seems like a good idea, and be good to stop those pesky NVG snipers :P

Nice man!

AJ

No...

I had enough of super bright mega retard flashlights from BF3...

I...

Never...

Wanna...

See...

Them...

Again...

Never, you hear me..?

Never..!

Kinda cool actually. But what if a clan of beamers where out there to troll people. I would rather have these placeable in lighthouses or on green mountain and preferably being manned by someone.

That's why the maxa beam is useful only during the daylight. You can blind them but at the same time you won't get aggred from sideways by zombies or players: the light won't be noticeable from more of 5-10 meters. By night you can turn on the light for a few seconds aiming at the sky to reveal your position to friends.

Wow, that'd be pretty intense.

Welcome to the DayZ forums bud, if you plan on making many more posts, keep a lookout for the forum trolls; deadly little critters.

Pretty decent idea bud, I was sort of thinking the same thing. They have something sort of like this on the Choppers, but it's not as high powered as you're saying.

Bwuahaha, I would be the controller of aggro!

*Spots survivor -> points large group of zombies toward him*

Thanks mate.

Pointing the zombies towards a target during the day is also a great use of this device.

I like the idea but that flashlight could be overpowered ... If u get chased by a zombie horde put on that flahlight lay on the ground and you will be vanished :D

Consider that it's very rare to find, batteries duration is low (2/3 minutes) and the angle of effect it's not that large. If you abuse the maxa beam, it should be self-defeating. For example you can escape from zombies in cherno for 2 minutes, but you'll find yourself in difficulty a bit later with a huge amount of zombies around without reached a safe place yet.

It must be used with a good planning or critical situations/quick rushes in city blocks (hospitals, houses etc.) without noticing.

No...

I had enough of super bright mega retard flashlights from BF3...

I...

Never...

Wanna...

See...

Them...

Again...

Never, you hear me..?

Never..!

Haha I knew someone was going to post this :P

That' because I quoted BF3 to explaing why it's totally different.