Sign in to follow this  
kompster

Map markers and name tag questions

I'm a bit curious about a specific map marker that reveals player positions within a certain range.

I was playing on a server earlier and was west of Berezino, I and another were watching flashlights and flares in the town, trying to plan our approach. After about 10 minutes of scoping the town we saw a message in direct chat asking "who is southwest of berezino?" ... which happened to be us, I pulled up the map and saw blue dots marking not only our positions but the person's position in town and the directions we were all facing.

Is this normal? Is it based on a difficulty setting similar to that of player tags?

Anyhow, knowing our position had been revealed we fled and since I feel much more paranoid knowing anyone can spot somebody within a certain radius simply by pulling up the map or waving the cursor over surrounding landscape till they see a name...

Any discussion is welcome and appreciated.

Although it's a nice crutch on some servers when you're just starting out and it can help you navigate without the appropriate gear, I'm not in favor of being spotted on someone's map just because they looked in my direction without actually having ever seen me.

The map markers are enabled server side. There seem to be only a handful that allow it. Unfortunetelly you cannot tell by the difficulty setting (regular) if it is enabled or not. On most regular servers I've been it was disabled. You can be fairly certain that you won't run into this problem with veteran or expert servers.