TheBowski

Start with a flashlight, not flares

I think it would be both more realistic and more difficult if players started with a flashlight. Most people have a flashlight at their house, few have road flares. Also, the flashlight creates more claustrophobic gameplay and heightens the horror factor. Also, the inability to hold a flashlight and pistol at the same time means that players would be forced to either see or shoot, making the game scarier and more difficult.

I'd like the flashlight to be a utility, so you don't have to have it in your pistol or rifle slot. You still can't use a weapon with it, but it's more available and doesn't take up space.

I find the ominous red flickering of the flares to be pretty scary.

I also don't like the idea of being sniper bait, since the flashlight would give your exact position.

But, that's just me.

I think it would be both more realistic and more difficult if players started with a flashlight. Most people have a flashlight at their house' date=' few have road flares. Also, the flashlight creates more claustrophobic gameplay and heightens the horror factor.

[/quote']

qft

In addition, I think the number of chemlights available should be lowered drastically. They are basically military gear, perhaps rarely used by police officers and firefighters. They spawn far too frequently. Roadflares should be available, but have significantly lower chances of spawning outside of firestations and police stations, where they would logically be.

In addition' date=' I think the number of chemlights available should be lowered drastically. They are basically military gear, perhaps rarely used by police officers and firefighters. They spawn far too frequently. Roadflares should be available, but have significantly lower chances of spawning outside of firestations and police stations, where they would logically be.

[/quote']

Maybe Chernarus is the rave capital of the world?

Doesn't quite make sense that you use a pistol and hold a burning flare at the same time, but not point a flashlight. I think it would be fair if the player was forced to drop the flashlight to use the pistol. It'd be nice if it stayed lit after being dropped, similar to a flare.

rocket posted regarding flashlights in another thread.

Use the search function :)

Please post a link the the flashlight thread where rocket posted. I searched and could not find it.

But that said, I'd like to +1 the OP and +1 the idea that it shouldn't take up your secondary slot.

Maybe have them run on batteries?

I'd love for all the nubs to be running around giving away their position at night.

The other positive to this, is that there would be no more bitching about the night being too damn dark. How about them apples?

ugh now I've made a liar out of myself >.<

It was yesterday, he was basically saying that the limitation for holding flashlight/pistol at the same time is technical, within the game, and they are working on it.

Yes, leechman, currently, the system is really poorly implemented. When/if they are able to let you hold both at once, it should make your pistol aiming much less accurate. I wouldn't object to it making it just as inaccurate as after you finish sprinting. That would help balance out the flashlight, it's practically impossible to aim while holding a flare, so the flashlight shouldn't be too much easier.

Yes' date=' leechman, currently, the system is really poorly implemented. When/if they are able to let you hold both at once, it should make your pistol aiming much less accurate. I wouldn't object to it making it just as inaccurate as after you finish sprinting. That would help balance out the flashlight, it's practically impossible to aim while holding a flare, so the flashlight shouldn't be too much easier.

[/quote']

It wouldn't make you that much more inaccurate. You can realistically hold a small flashlight in one hand and still use that arm to help steady your aim with a pistol, if anything you'd maybe lose accuracy from recoil overall.

This would even make more sense than with flares. Currently, with the way the character holds the flare in front of his face while aiming I'm surprised he could see anything at all.

And the starting spawn gear is fine, flashlights should be found just like any other item. A few extra chemlights or flares maybe since those are expendable items, but not something as valuable as a flashlight.

Why not just start with the glock? (has a flashlight attachment, and takes the same amount of bullets to kill zombies)

Or just add a flashlight attachment to the Markov.

Why not just start with the glock? (has a flashlight attachment' date=' and takes the same amount of bullets to kill zombies)

[/quote']

Because this mod is about finding what you need to survive, not starting out with it already. That would defeat the whole purpose.

Although I'm not against finding attachments for guns (flashlights, laser-sights, etc)

Why not just start with the glock? (has a flashlight attachment' date=' and takes the same amount of bullets to kill zombies)

[/quote']

I like this. The Glock seems to be a very common civilian weapon. The glock isn't very powerful, and the fact that it has an autofire function will prompt people to use it, at the risk of expending a ton of ammo.

Because this mod is about finding what you need to survive' date=' not starting out with it already. That would defeat the whole purpose.[/quote']

The problem with this though, is that you already start with a gun, several mags, food, water, light source, pain pills, bandages and morphine.

Doesn't that seem a bit excessive for a game that is about "finding what you need"? In my home, I currently have a flashlight, food, water and pain pills, and I believe that's pretty typical for most people.

If I could choose a light source for starting gear, it would be a flashlight that can be held at the same time as a pistol but is limited by relying on lootable batteries.

Flashlight is bugged. I don't know how many times zombies have ran at me out of NOWHERE when holding a flashlight.

[/quote']

I like this. The Glock seems to be a very common civilian weapon. The glock isn't very powerful, and the fact that it has an autofire function will prompt people to use it, at the risk of expending a ton of ammo.

We're in Chernarus, a poor eastern country that was under an USA-controlled dictatorship and suffered a communist revolution, I don't think the population would be able to afford a Glock.

They could also tie the flashlight on their belt if they got more advanced backpacks, as more advanced backpack also mean utility belts.

Man I like this idea. I would love to see everyone have to start out without a pistol and only a flashlight and a few more utilities. It isn't too fun when everyone owns a pistol. It would increase the difficulty in starting out, and the tension that is built when you run across a player wielding a weapon.

Because this mod is about finding what you need to survive' date=' not starting out with it already. That would defeat the whole purpose.[/quote']

The problem with this though, is that you already start with a gun, several mags, food, water, light source, pain pills, bandages and morphine.

Doesn't that seem a bit excessive for a game that is about "finding what you need"? In my home, I currently have a flashlight, food, water and pain pills, and I believe that's pretty typical for most people.

If I could choose a light source for starting gear, it would be a flashlight that can be held at the same time as a pistol but is limited by relying on lootable batteries.

If we could all choose what we started with, of course we would pick better gear. As it is the flares are a good enough starter light source until a flashlight (or if you're really lucky NVG) can be found (And Rocket is apparently working on a flashlight that can be held like the flare currently)

No way should players spawn without some sort of weapon though, there needs to be even a little bit of option for self-defence against bandits and zombies at the beginning.

Starting with nothing think it would be ideal.

Not shootings on spawn areas for survivors