ninjadave

Increase the difficulty of zombies

Sometimes I find myself with the barest of equipment and still do alright for myself. Some of these ideas are to amp up the difficulty in certain situations, but not let the player feel cheated.

Zombies can smell blood

... up to 35m away. Causing a player to bleed might be enough to lure zombies to their position. Likewise, being hurt in a zombie fight will likely cause a bigger fight.

Effectively injuring a player might be enough to win a fight.

Badder zombies

... The zombie's equipment causes a stat difference. Military zombies have significantly more health (Headshots are still a one hit kill), some zeds might be holding something that may inflict more damage, such as farmer zombies holding hatchets.

Some zeds can't be taken so lightly.

Forest zombies

... Hunter zombies randomly roam 'popular' forested areas. They can (and will) keep snipers and deep forest survivors occupied.

Loudly sniping or hunting can cause an unexpected fuss.

Zombies have things

...Zeds may hold a few items rather than one, and sometimes tools. This makes zombie killing decently worthwhile, even in small towns with no items of interest.

Zombie killing can now be a way of living.

New methods of attack

... Hopper zombies and crawler zombies can bump into you, tripping you over (forcing you into prone).

This makes them more of a threat and avoid them just a little bit more.

More broken bones

... Breaking an arm will leave you much slower aiming, reloading, and attacking. Break a rib, and sprinting will be awfully difficult to do. Any decent bullet wound is now much more problematic.

To be fair though, all of these seem much more preferable than breaking a leg.

NOM NOM NOM

... Meatier foods such as sardines should give more blood, while things like cola should be less hydrating than water. Beans are all around healthy, and pasta - with all that sauce - should be partially hydrating.

This makes food choice more strategical.

Leftover turrets

... Leftover defenses, such as turrets or spotlights, should be left near the dead soldier bodies and/or camps. They can be used to camp a small area or clear out zeds.

They also seem like a really good way to announce your presence in the city, if you're into starting firefights.

Flare guns

... To launch road flares great distances. This lets you mark a player or light up an area way before you enter it. (I also realize flare guns don't shoot road flares in real life, its for simplifying)

This can effectively counter NVGs... Or turn out hilarious, shooting it near unsuspecting bandits, letting the zeds say hello.

New Status - On fire

... Getting hit directly with a flare gun (Or touching something on fire) has a chance to cause you to catch fire, causing bleeding, shell shock, and a bright zed attracting light. Stop drop and roll to put it out.

Most likely would cause bunches of flaming zombies, but would also attract many more.

Other changes

- Removal of 'debug hud': Player/bandit/zombie kills should be displayed after you die.

- No ammo counter (Rate of fire should remain, ammo can be seen in inventory)

- Other small statistics: Amount healed, others healed, amount of food consumed, how much liquid consumed, etc displayed after you die.

Thoughts?

Edited by ninjadave
  • Like 1

Just hit the highlights of what I like and don't like:

-Smell Blood +5 Great Idea

-Badder Zombies +2 It'd be nice but isn't necessary

-Forrest Zombies +0 Not too big on this, I think the game would lose some of it's suspense if you were being chased by zombies everywhere you went

-New Methods of Attack +3 I'd like to see something like this, it'd make zombies more of a threat overall

-More Broken Bones +1 Again another nice Idea but not necessary to make the game better, though it would be nice to not have to crawl to a hospital from BFE

-NOM NOM NOM +0 I don't really see much of a point in giving changing the way food works

-Leftover Turrets -5 You're just asking for people to camp these and shoot everything in sight, Snipers in Noob areas are bad enough you don't want to give them fortification

-Flare Guns +0 There's already one, it's called the M16A2 M203, it fires Frags, Smoke, and Flares(white/green)

-On Fire -3 while it would be nice to see, the novelty of it would wear off quick, and a lot of players are already having enough frame rate problems without trying to render a city full of flaming zombies

All in all, some good suggestions, others I'm not that big of a fan... Just my personal Opinions though

All in all, some good suggestions, others I'm not that big of a fan... Just my personal Opinions though

I think you're quite right. I could see all of these ideas implemented, but some are definitely better than others.

Rocket touched on some of these here http://dayzmod.com/f...on-suggestions/

I haven't seen this interview, thank you for the link.

It does look like a few of these suggestions are pretty similar, which I would believe is a good thing.