Sign in to follow this  
Bandit Hunter

DayZ Lore and Backstory.

As this is an Alpha, and the only current goal is to survive, there is no story or back story as to what has happened in Chernarus.

I like to have a mindset for a games atmosphere, and think up my own story if I need to. So far, all we know is somehow the greater civilian population of Chernarus have become these "Zeds," we don't have the slightest clue why.

Military roadblocks exist in many areas, and many soldiers lay dead, rather than turned, implying they may have come into the area from outside, after the fact.

My version of the story:

Due to the likeness to STALKER, I believe something along the lines of a Chernobyl disaster occurred. Whatever it was, it caused the greater civilian population and the local soldiers to turn into the Zeds.

Other soldiers we're sent in to respond to the crisis, but we're overwhelmed and many killed. As a result, whoever ordered the troops in were forced to pull back out, and a quarantine was placed over the area.

Survivors, and bandits, had been locals/what have you that we're spared in some way from the disaster. Due to the quarantine, they are banned from exiting the region, and any outside help is banned from entering to assist.

That leaves you, in Chern, fighting and working amongst each other for what supplies are left.

Whats your take on whats happened, until an official story is put out?

Something nuclear, perhaps on an adjacent city or country.

The atmosphere resembles something after a minor nuclear winter. I'd suggest Chernobyl as reference as well.

It clearly wasn't an infection, because whatever turned most of the world/Chernarus in zeds, is not turning them anymore (at least from a gameplay point of view, where you can't get infected or turn into a zed and dead players won't turn either).

Radiation would also explain the small amount of animal life in the city.

Of course, most of these are based on game limitations or dev's choices of how we can play it as it is right now.

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER! Lol sorry I just had to say that. I sorta like that story but there is currently no NPP in Chernarus so a nuclear fallout doesn't seem likely and given there is no actual radiation in DayZ... but nevertheless, its a plausible theory. :)

I've always had a gut feeling that Green Mountain and the huge antenna upon it is responsible for all the Zeds. There's loads of dead soldiers around the area and if you have a radio on your character, you can actually hear a transmission sent out by the soldiers before they all died. My theory suggests that the antenna sends out some sort of telepathic messages and tasks to the zeds... sorta like the C-Con in STALKER :D I guess we will have to wait for Rocket and his team to release some sort of wacked out story line.

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER! Lol sorry I just had to say that. I sorta like that story but there is currently no NPP in Chernarus so a nuclear fallout doesn't seem likely and given there is no actual radiation in DayZ... but nevertheless' date=' its a plausible theory. :)

I've always had a gut feeling that Green Mountain and the huge antenna upon it is responsible for all the Zeds. There's loads of dead soldiers around the area and if you have a radio on your character, you can actually hear a transmission sent out by the soldiers before they all died. My theory suggests that the antenna sends out some sort of telepathic messages and tasks to the zeds... sorta like the C-Con in STALKER :D I guess we will have to wait for Rocket and his team to release some sort of wacked out story line.

[/quote']

Hm, is the radio tower disabled now? That'd keep us survivors from being turned into Zeds. But it wouldn't account for the 500 new zeds appearing in town every day. (Nor would my own theroy.) Hmm.

Mythos Shard 1.

The Georgia Guidestones

http://en.wikipedia....gia_Guidestones

Established by an anonymous group in 1980 giving guidance to humankind. The main messages of the stones:

Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.

(Mission Accomplished by Genetic Warfare Toxin Relase - The cause of the zombie apoclypse - The unknown genetic compound targets segments of the population that fall far from the guiding principles of the stones via only infecting certain genetic sequences).

Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity. (Phase 1. Survival of the fittest initiated).

Unite humanity with a living new language. (Program not yet initiated)

Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason. (Program not yet initiated)

Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.(Program not yet initiated)

Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court. (Program not yet initiated)

Avoid petty laws and useless officials. (Mission accomplished)

Balance personal rights with social duties. (Phase I. Survivor behavior study initiated).

Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite. (Program not yet initiated)

Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature. (Phase 1. Initiated)

Mythos Shard 2.

Repeated Shortwave Transmission in Several Langauges

Message 1. Numbers were detached from humanity once they were captured by the computer. Data led humans to calulcate all manner of reason, yet not allow us to reason with all things calculated. For humankind it was the beggining of an end...where we became masters at doing the wrong things the right way. Our mania consumed our humanity, we ceased to be unique snowflakes, the numbers lowered us to creatures below that of beasts - as we enslaved ourselves to the mania of a handful of us. The slate is now cleansed - recognize now, we are all fellows, with the ability to cast away the old order and build a new one.

No 2nd message has yet to be broadcast.

Mythos Shard 3.

Leaflets found in the aftermath printed in several langauges.

Common Sense

-The Reality of Human Difference is a fact.

-The dividing lines between zombie and survivor are too numerous to detail;

the determining factors are based on science and reason.

-If you are reading this then you have the ideal genetic traits to rebuild a society based upon reason.

-Whether you choose to be a part of humanities collective future is a matter of understanding.

We will rebuild a better and brighter future.

Signed,

Only the following attached symbol appears on the leaflet.

Mythos Shard 4

GMO Food and DayZ.

Survivors are starting to put 2 and 2 together.

Their diet consists primarily of beans, pasta, HFC based cola, and farmed sardines. All of these products are labelled as containing genetically modified food.

Survivors have noticed that animals are reluctant to eat any of this food in a similiar way that they will not eat food from a happy meal...because its not really food rather its largely a delivery mechanism for genetic warfare ingredients that target humans with genomes suceptible to various diseases and disorders. In other words, it is highly suspected this food was an early phase weapon desinged to cull the weaker members of society, however, survivors have the genetic resilence needed to resist the genetic weapons contained in the food.

The smart survivors are relying on a largely meat based diet but would benefit highly from the availability of vegetables and fresh fruits and nuts. Paleolithic diet FTW.

post-114884-0-86590000-1357075689_thumb.