Sign in to follow this  
Etienne

One character per server / why sandbags, barbed wires, and toolbox are useless

Good evening every one.

Look this screen :

1342804440-arma2oa2012-07-2019-11-47-52.jpg

This guy can loggout the server, loggin to another, move forward to be in the camp, and loggin in the server where is the camp to be in and steal the gear in tents. So barbed wire, sandbags, tank trap kit, and toolbox are useless.

I have an idea to solve this probleme. Maybe it should be as WoW (for example) : The character you play on the server cannot be played on another. He stays on the server where he has been created.

What do you think about this ? Do you have other idea to solve this problem ? :)

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

I posted what i thought was a decent solution to this problem in one of the other many threads on this subject:

http://dayzmod.com/f...server-hopping/

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

I thought a good way to stop ghosting might be to give servers a 15-20 minute "memory" of every player who leaves, and their last location. If a player rejoins within that deadline and their location from the hive doesnt match the server record then that player is forced to spawn in that last known location, which is then updated back to the hive again. After the deadline has passed the record of the player is deleted.

Would prevent ghosting being particularly useful in a combat situation, but not prevent people circumventing cordons (i dont particularly agree with cordoning off whole areas though).

Edited by chipdemon

Sorry I didn't see this thread. But what will happen if the player waits more than the server memory time ? For example one or two days. Your idea is good but i think it will not solve this. :(

Edited by Etienne

Sorry I didn't see this thread. But what will happen if the player waits more than the server memory time ? For example one or two days. Your idea is good but i think it will not solve this. :(

Sorry if i didnt make myself clear, but i dont think that players getting around your wall of sandbags and stuff by server hopping is actually a problem. Being able to cordon off whole areas makes it possible to hoard tons and tons of items for you or your group with little or no risk of anyone else getting at them. This would mean that youve removed a large chunk of the survivor aspect, dying for you will have little impact as you would just go back to camp and rearm, then move straight out again. I dont think this is really what the core idea of the game is about.

Sorry but i have to disagree with you on this :P

The character you play on the server cannot be played on another. He stays on the server where he has been created.

this could solve a lot of problems, actually.

If I understood all that you said (because I don't speek english usually :P ), you think huge camp as we can see on this screenshot remove a large chunk of the survivor aspect because dying has a little impact. YES I am totally aggree with you ! I've juste founded this screen on internet, it's not me playing. But the problem is players who like breaking the survivor aspect building big secured areas have this problem : Everyone can enter in the area using the method I explained. We also have to take into consideration that Rocket plans to introduce more building materials because he wants to give players the ability to build the area they want, and to give them better building mechanics. I suggest my idea here because i don't know if Rocket thought about this problem.

Edited by Etienne