BrickTamland

Character Classes

Its a very good idea, but it could possibly cause imbalance in the game, Because with different patches some classes will Op other classes, I see what you want too do here but it will then in my opinion COD it :/

I think a skill system would be much better than a class system, there are no inherent advantages to anyone and players are freely able to create their own perfect player character.

This would also increase the penalty for death in game something that I think should be done asap.

Skills could be as simple as most of the avialable actions now, and provide a simple bonus like increasing/nerfing animation/action speed or increasing the effectiveness for using the skill, ie blood bag gives more health when your good at transfusions.

I would prefer a point buy type of system at character creation and also for choosing skills, maybe a character would need instruction from another before they are able to lvl up certain skills this would add another legit reason for players to group up. Skills that develop through use could be used but then you simply have people farming their skills, ie you need to shoot to get better at shooting, heal someone to get better at healing. But then people just shoot/heal their friends and it becomes who has more time IG rather than who's actually good at the game.

• Like 2

What if the doctor was a Marine Force Recon veteran? What if that Doctor can shoot ten times more accurately at longer ranges than a marine? What if that doctor spent plenty of his well earned cash purchasing firings and getting his shooting down to a science? What if a school teacher or a lawyer liked going hunting and they knew how to gut animals and to shoot? See, imposing rules and roles can break "roleplay" as well as how you perceive your character also. I still say no limitations that'll give you an advantage over other players.

This is why I suggested a system like Skyrim. Just because I have a mage in Skyrim doesn't mean I can't wear heavy armor. Just like a doctor or even a school girl could be a marksman and have an ability to hunt, think about it like this the base "leveling" system is days/hours survived the more you play a single character the more they level, each level gains you a talent point to be spent on talent trees, each of which have maybe 5-10 options for perks. You start with very basic ones available to all characters and then more complex perks require leveling that tree. So for instance if you have two talent points and 100 zombie kills you unlock level 2 of the zombie slayer skill tree giving small bonuses to (you guessed it) slaying zombies. Another example: You have four talent points (Levels whatever) Have cooked 50 steaks and slain 100 zombies you can have two ranks into both the "Survivor Chef" and "Zombie Slayer" trees, or maybe just one into "Zombie Slayer" two into "Survivor Chef" and one into "Rifle Marksman." Then build several trees with lots of options. This allows each player to specialize or play broad strokes as much as they like, retaining the inherent system balance and roleplay system while also allowing new toys to play with and reasons to protect your character. I'm not saying this is the system to use, this isn't my suggestion. I just feel that instead of enforcing strict classes on characters if the desired effect is balance, game pacing and enjoyment then the desired system is talent/skill trees.

Feel free to flesh this idea out, maybe I will and post my own topic. But currently I haven't and this is simply fuel to ignite discussion on the merit of one system or the other, my stance on which has been made clear.

Edited by Royalimpact

No, no, no, no, no , no.

ALL will pick up the classes that will take advantage to the enemy... everyone will pick the svd camo soldier with the gillie suit... it's INVISIBLE to human eye at a moderate range.

No.

No, no, no, no, no , no.

ALL will pick up the classes that will take advantage to the enemy... everyone will pick the svd camo soldier with the gillie suit... it's INVISIBLE to human eye at a moderate range.

I think the discussion has evolved beyond the OP, maybe reading at least the last two posts before your own would help? Just a friendly suggestion.

Like the idea. Would make it more authentic as everybody has certain skills or talents

and this should be reflected in the game.

Maybe there should be no combat traits (except maybe mellee skills)

more other things like

cook/butcher (gets more meat out of an animal, meat gives more blood back)

repairman (starts with toolkit already equiped, can repair cars easier ...)

medic

strongman (has more blood and can carry more things but is slower)

athlete (faster but weaker or just needs more food/drink than the others )

thief (weaker but is more silent when moving)

countless other possibilities without necessarily adding combat related skills... (which as said most would definatly pick)

another way would if this things would kind of achievements when do them often enough

also a incentive for living longer ^^

After looking at some DayZ weapon comparison tables on the wiki I have decided to redefine my former idea making it easier to understand and easier to hopefully implement into the game... Tell me what you guys think... It seems like the most likely form of classes to appear in DayZ... I think it will cut down player killing becuase everyone will have something to gain from making a team, since every survivor you could run into may give you and your possible alliance an advantage... Lets say you really needed some blood but you didn't have any... You come across a paramedic nice enough to give you some blood... You win and if your not a dick and kill him after he helps you, he could also win by getting a favor in return for his help or by creating an allaince... Everyone could win with my new idea... I hope DayZ becomes more about survival as 1 and not war against everyone...

Civilian--This occupation starts off at the shore and spawns with a flash light, and a water bottle, to help them start their journey for survival.

SWAT Team Member--This occupation starts off close to a police station and spawns with an MP5A5, and an M9.

Fire Fighter--This occupation starts off close to a fire station and spawns with a hatchet, and instead of a Coyote Patrol Pack the fire fighter starts with an Assault Pack, and also has supplies for 1 fire.

Paramedic--This occupation starts off close to a hospital and spawns with 2 bandages, 2 painkillers, 2 epi-pens, 1morphine auto injector, and 1antibiotics.

Soldier--This occupation starts off close to an airfield and spawns with an empty canteen, an M4A3 CCO, and a Glock 17.

Special Forces Soldier--This occupation starts off close to a farm and spawns with a ghillie suit, night vision goggles, an SVD CAMO, and an M9 SD.

Pilot--This occupation starts off close to a helicopter with all the needed to make it fly, as well as a Glock 17.

Like giving players svd's and ghilliez at spawn is going to reduce the number of snipers camping spawn....

I would prefer give the classes better abilities like

the medic better at giving blood packs (if blood pack healing is reduced someday) and starting with more bandages

or a firefighter starting with a hatchet (and doing more damage with it)

pyromaniac starting with matches and a can of fuel (or being able to build better fireplaces (whatever that means in the future ^^))

hunter: better change of animals spawning near him :)

fisher: being able to catch fish near small lakes ;) and starting with an fishing rod

starting with heavy weaponry or camo suits is too much in my opinion....

I'm partial to the idea of everyone starting the same and building your character through play rather than prebuilt classes/skills/levels/whatever. With that said, it would be nice to have different uniforms or (very) slight starting perks to identify roles besides wearing a ghillie suit or not.

But, I'd rather the devs focus on other things central to the core of the existing game.

Oh look this thread again.

Remember boys and girls, in the sitcky in this section, the one labeled " Please read BEFORE posting" it tells you to use the search function before making a new thread. If you (the OP) followed the rules you would see far too many copies of this exact thread, and all of them are more or less beaten to death and abused in the same way,

Rocket has said no to classes, he has no plans or desires to implement them, it is up to the players themselves to define their roles, not forced game mechanics.

This is actually already in the game HOWEVER, what needs to happen is we need FEWER inventory slots, if you want meat, morphine injectrs and high powered weapons you will need a buddy. Otherwise you cannot carry all that gear even with an alice pack.

The biggest problem right now is how much gear you are allowed to take.

This is much, and it would give some incentive to cooperate with other players.

After looking at some DayZ weapon comparison tables on the wiki I have decided to redefine my former idea making it easier to understand and easier to hopefully implement into the game... Tell me what you guys think... It seems like the most likely form of classes to appear in DayZ... I think it will cut down player killing becuase everyone will have something to gain from making a team, since every survivor you could run into may give you and your possible alliance an advantage... Lets say you really needed some blood but you didn't have any... You come across a paramedic nice enough to give you some blood... You win and if your not a dick and kill him after he helps you, he could also win by getting a favor in return for his help or by creating an allaince... Everyone could win with my new idea... I hope DayZ becomes more about survival as 1 and not war against everyone...

Civilian--This occupation starts off at the shore and spawns with a flash light, and a water bottle, to help them start their journey for survival.

SWAT Team Member--This occupation starts off close to a police station and spawns with an MP5A5, and an M9.

Fire Fighter--This occupation starts off close to a fire station and spawns with a hatchet, and instead of a Coyote Patrol Pack the fire fighter starts with an Assault Pack, and also has supplies for 1 fire.

Paramedic--This occupation starts off close to a hospital and spawns with 2 bandages, 2 painkillers, 2 epi-pens, 1morphine auto injector, and 1antibiotics.

Soldier--This occupation starts off close to an airfield and spawns with an empty canteen, an M4A3 CCO, and a Glock 17.

Special Forces Soldier--This occupation starts off close to a farm and spawns with a ghillie suit, night vision goggles, an SVD CAMO, and an M9 SD.

Pilot--This occupation starts off close to a helicopter with all the needed to make it fly, as well as a Glock 17.

Quick, simple little question, why the fuck would someone want to be a survivor with a water bottle and flashlight while they could just start with a ghillie, NVG, SVD and M9 sil- WAIT, isn't that everything a player spends hours looking for in the game?

Better idea time!

Civilian/Scavenger: Basic class. Starts with a makarov OR m1911 + 2 mags (maybe he had a conceal carry permit,) watch, 2 cans of food and 2 cans of soda, a flashlight, and 1 bandage. Patrol pack. The only class that starts with a gun.

Survivalist/Hunter: Effective at surviving without looting towns, can survive without stepping foot into a civilized area. Starts his game with a hatchet, hunting knife, compass, map, empty canteen, matches, chemlights (randomized color) and Czech backpack.

Mechanic/Engineer - Not my best idea. Starts with a crowbar, road flares, chemlights, a jerry can, toolbox, compass, and watch, along with 2 cans of food + 2 cans of soda. Has everything he needs to get out, find parts and vehicles, and fix 'em up. Let's be honest, it's gonna be really difficult to kill anyone with a crowbar, and let alone find a vehicle, therefore I think this class is underpowered.

Doctor/Medic: Medical professional who has a holy red armband. Starts with just the czech vest pouch, secondary ammo filled with bandages, 1 can of food, 1 can of soda, 4 epi-pens, 4 morphine auto-injectors, a tent, and his vest pouch filled with blood packs. I know this would require custom skinmaking, but I think it'd be worth it - once he attains 1 murder he loses his armband. This is sort of a reverse-bandit system, as an unwritten rule could arise that doctors are there to help survivors, and bandits should think twice before firing at an unarmed medic (with his kill-virgin armband) who's out to do no harm. But then again, the opposite could happen and doctors could simply pick up a handgun and kill someone who was gonna give them a chance. Even if he killed someone in self-defence, the fact that he had the ability and weapons to do so should declare the fact that he's probably not a trustworthy guy who's just out to give you a blood transfusion.

• Like 1

Actually, I have given some thought in regards to the idea of a point skill tree progression that resets when you die.

The more you run, the quieter you get and of course you stop at some point in which you make a balanced amount of noise.

The more you hunt and gut animals, the more possible steaks you can cut from the body due to experience.

Ex, first starting out and you kill rabbit, you are unable to cut any steaks due to inexperience. You still won't be able to cut more than each animal can give no matter your skill progression.

The more guns you use, the faster you are able to readjust aiming after firing, not less recoil just becomes easier and smoother to reaim.

I still don't think it's necessary but a neat idea. Add more to this as it can be a great addition and as always all the things I have said balance out at a certain amount.

Edited by The True Nova
  • Like 1

Ok I'm wondering what classes are ok then... and if you look at the DayZ weapon comparison chart witch is very accurate you will notice that the SVD is in fact not as good as you think... in all the important areas like power, body shots to kill, and noise, it is the same as almost all the other sniper rifles... and for the soldiers main gun the M4A3 CCO its the same in those areas for most of the assault rifles... so its pretty balanced... and there are sniper rifles in every farm and if your dumb enough to be in the open when you know theres a sniper then your gonna be shot... and there will be bandits no matter what... giving them a sniper rifle at start won't make a big difference... just play it safe and live in the forest... and most bandits are around towns witch farms are not... and your never know he may be friendly and having some long range defence would be good...

This needs to be much more limited and in line with improving realism. At spawn the player picks a skill set, that's it. No differentiation of spawning equipment or anything. The only relevant options that I see at the moment are:

Mechanic: Only mechanics are capable of repairing vehicles. After all not any old bloke can take a pile of engine parts and produce a working vehicle.

Medic: Only medics can administer blood bags. Also change morphine to only alleviate the pain for a certain amount of time, three hours perhaps? Then only medics can set a broken bone.

These are classes that would actually reflect reality.

• Like 1

I'm all for realism but there is a point when it becomes to realistic... I'm only being real with what I said for classes.... its not like when your a soldier you'll have just a pistol... I guess they should give more back to the civilian... and what should i change about my classes then?... I don't see anything... the weapons balance out and with my idea and the guy befores idea it would be pretty realistic... call him...

Pilot/Engineer--This occupation starts off close to a helicopter with all the needed to make it fly, as well as a Glock 17.

Pilot/Engineer Trait--Is the only occupation that can repair vehichles.

Paramedic Trait--Is the only occupation that can fix broken bones.

Op your classes remove much of the game play that exhists now, you wouldn't need to spend hours looting and exposing yourself to risk when you can just restart with a bunch of sweet loot, and whats to be feared from death if you respawn with all that gear?

Your suggestion would ruin the game.

• Like 1

None of them spawn with food and only the civilian has water at the start... and each one wouldn't have more then 3 clips to just get them started... thats not much when you think about it... and most of my occupation ideas don't start with guns and a hatchet isnt good for much if you don't want to get hit by a walker or a survivor and die... think about it... 3 clips won't get anyone far if they are willing to use it on every walker they see... they will still have to search for food, water and ammo... so no my idea would not ruin the game just make it easier to start... and M4A3 CCO and SVD ammo is pretty rare so they wouldn't want to waste it unless it was nessesary... Like some bandit was going to kill them then they would need to use it...

Think about it... if you were a soldier you would probably have a gun of some sort... and if you actually start with guns like the way I'm trying to do it no one will istantly think "Oh I must be the only guy with a gun for like 30 miles so I'm going to kill you and take your stuff cause you have no way to defend yourself... atleast with my idea bandits wont be able to kill you as easily and might back off knowing you have a gun... plus a bandit may not kill you cause you may have bloodpacks depending on your occupation... a bandit will now more likely not kill you and ask what you are first... giving you a chance to pop em and live... you win they loose and all I see in that is a good idea/ a win... and I take back the thing about only doctors able to use blood packs and pilots being the only ones to fix vehicles... theres a point when it becomes to realistic and not very fun to play...

Edited by Zom Killer Colin

If you want to start with a high-powered rifle, NVGs and full military equipment, go play ARMA. The whole fun of DayZ is the struggle to attain these things. If this happened, DayZ would simply turn into a straightout deathmatch as there wouldn't be anything else to do.

• Like 1

So your saying you would rather not start with a gun die by zombies or get shot and killed by someone with a gun cause they wanted ur beans... you would want no way to defend yourself... so you play this game to die?... all you want to do is die?... I'm not giving you a full loadout... read... 2 guns aint much and 4 clips conting the one already loaded for each gun aint much either... and my idea is the only way to balance it out again but not make it the same again... when a person gets a gun with this new patch where u dont start with a gun you are basically god... and if a bandit gets a gun he will go on a killing rampage... he and his buddies will have free reign to kill everyone... if you want bandits to be gods then go ahead and die... or listen to me and maybe get some defence back...