BrickTamland

Character Classes

I think having character classes you select at the beginning would add a cool wrinkle to the game, and have an effect on the way people play, since each one is tailored to a specific playstyle. Here are my ideas:

Survivalist

The survivalist is a character decked out in flannel, jeans, and a hunting vest. Survivalists get bonuses to inventory space and crafting. They can craft better items, such as cooked meat that restores more blood.

Soldier

The soldier is a character wearing full combat gear. Soldiers get bonuses to firearms proficiency and vitality. They also have a "Soldier's Intution", which is basically the dots on the edge of the screen that are already in the game, just limited so that only soldiers can see them. This allows them to have a better sense of where potential threats may be coming from. They are also more accurate with guns and heal a lot more quickly. However, due to the weight of their gear, they move more slowly.

Athlete

The athlete is... well, they're athletes. Wearing light jackets and cargo shorts, athletes' hunger and thirst meters drain a lot more slowly, and they also are more proficient with melee weapons and can run faster.

Bureaucrat

The bureaucrat is a character in a torn-up shirt and jacket. Bureaucrats spawn higher quantities (not quality) of loot, and are balanced in all other areas.

Hopefully none of these sound too unrealistic or game-breaking.

Edited by BrickTamland
  • Like 5

It's a good idea....

But I personally don't like character classes and such. But as I said, good idea.

EDIT: Let me rephrase, I'm fine with Characters classes, but not in a mod like this.

Edited by Tenebris Draco

I think you're looking for... World of Warcraft... or is it WarZ?

EDIT: Everybody would go soldier... the rest of the shit doesn't matter when you have ESP (little dot) and superior weaponry.

Edited by BunnyHillPro
  • Like 1

nope.avi

So unbalanced it's not even funny. EVERYONE would pick soldier.

• Like 1

ROFL

No.

Grimlok i see you everywhere on the forums, try hard trolling and being negative, find your "kick" somewhere else, we dont need you in the dayz community..

Perhaps in another game. but for a realistic zombie survival game? nope.

Your design is flawed for this genre. If classes were implemented it would be something like this:

Recon Sniper: Higher running speed, reduced thirst progression and stealth bonus, reduced effective range with sniper rifles.

Support sniper: Higher inventory capacity, increased chance to find snper ammunition.

Assault Sniper: Higher rate of fire with snper rifles, faster reload and higher health, more susceptible to hunger and thirst.

Marksman: Higher accuracy with snper rifles, higher effective range, and increased natural zoom vision, slower running speed, lower health.

Edited by necroslord
  • Like 4

I would rather go with sth like this :

Military - only he can use military gear and weapons (at least majority of them). Start with a camo clothing.

Medic - only he can conduct a blood transfusion. Maybe also ability to recover some blood if using a bandage. Start with a morphine and a blood bag.

Hunter - only he can gut animals (and probably cook them too). Harder to spot for infected. Start with knife.

Technician - only he can repair all vehicles (other ppl can repair a bicycle), setup/remove a wire fence (and the rest deployable). Probably also other stuff connected with "creation" which are planned for the mod (like power generators, player created towns ect.). Start with a toolbox.

Of course its pretty harsh, so maybe it would be better if everyone could do everything but some "classes" are better in doing certain things for example a hunter gets more meat from gutting or a technician have 100% chance for succesful repair.

• Like 1

The point of this game is not to forcibly relegate roles but let players adapt and utilize anything they need at any time in any way.

This is a sandbox multiplayer game, it's similar to the old Ultima Online and new Minecraft, your character is able to do anything you want him/her to do.

Edited by LordRayken

Not interested at all, I've seen ten other threads like this and I just don't like the idea of players getting advantages over other players. Sure you get to choose but rolls are already defined in groups of roleplayers so there's no need for it. And that'd be pretty dumb to stare at a car with a load full of new parts and not be able to use it, or staring at a fantastic new sniper rifle and can't pick it up, or better yet starving to death but can't gut an animal.

Sorry but I say no, keep this game open based and not limited.

Edited by Chris!
  • Like 1

This is actually already in the game HOWEVER, what needs to happen is we need FEWER inventory slots, if you want meat, morphine injectrs and high powered weapons you will need a buddy. Otherwise you cannot carry all that gear even with an alice pack.

The biggest problem right now is how much gear you are allowed to take.

Your design is flawed for this genre. If classes were implemented it would be something like this:

...sniper classes...

Bahaha I was drinking coffee and I nearly spilled it. Beans to you sir.

This is actually already in the game HOWEVER, what needs to happen is we need FEWER inventory slots, if you want meat, morphine injectrs and high powered weapons you will need a buddy. Otherwise you cannot carry all that gear even with an alice pack.

The biggest problem right now is how much gear you are allowed to take.

I don't think the amount of gear is a problem at all, honestly. Even with an alice pack you're fairly limited.

Taking away object slots is forcibly imposing roles on people by making you dictate who carries what, and that's stupid.

I was personally thinking that a sort of leveling system might be nice. Think Skyrim versus previous Elder Scrolls games. Days survived or zombies killed or murders generate a point later on in the game. Giving the player the option to then chose basic perks, for my squad and I the RP is broken when we can all hunt, gut, cook, repair vehicles and administer medical aid. So maybe give some perks to these fields based on simply doing more of them. This way everyone is still pleased with being able to do ALL THE THINGS and can even level up in whatever field they want but designated member squads get to have designated personnel who get a few extra perks.

I think a skill tree setup has more potential to get what you desire in place without possible balance issues and forcing possible players to take on roles.

(Actual feedback, helpful not just going -scoff- NO)

• Like 3

its a reasonable idea for a rpg game mode, but in that case id rather see character development without specific paths, and naturally some servers would have character levels stay through death while others would be hardcore forcing you to start over and naturally you cant load a hardcore character into a regular server or the other way around, even if rocket wont implement such a game mode im sure a such a mod will be made eventually anyway

I was personally thinking that a sort of leveling system might be nice. Think Skyrim versus previous Elder Scrolls games. Days survived or zombies killed or murders generate a point later on in the game. Giving the player the option to then chose basic perks, for my squad and I the RP is broken when we can all hunt, gut, cook, repair vehicles and administer medical aid. So maybe give some perks to these fields based on simply doing more of them. This way everyone is still pleased with being able to do ALL THE THINGS and can even level up in whatever field they want but designated member squads get to have designated personnel who get a few extra perks.

I think a skill tree setup has more potential to get what you desire in place without possible balance issues and forcing possible players to take on roles.

(Actual feedback, helpful not just going -scoff- NO)

i would think of alot of rpgs before skyrim, it was a fun game but compared to morrowind and oblivion it was bad, and understandably so when its a pc game that was made for consoles then ported back to the platform it should have been made for in the first place

Uhrah for Royal impact. You shouldn't be able to be some Special Forces Commando skilled in everything. Certain lifestyles are better at different things. Saying that, a Doctor can still shoot a gun, but without the accuracy of a Marine.

Uhrah for Royal impact. You shouldn't be able to be some Special Forces Commando skilled in everything. Certain lifestyles are better at different things. Saying that, a Doctor can still shoot a gun, but without the accuracy of a Marine.

well i dont know about everyone else but im simply proposing an alternative game mode to the original, not a replacement

i would think of alot of rpgs before skyrim, it was a fun game but compared to morrowind and oblivion it was bad, and understandably so when its a pc game that was made for consoles then ported back to the platform it should have been made for in the first place

I see where you got confused. I didn't mean to compare the game simply it's skill tree based leveling as opposed to the class-based gameplay of the previous eras. Regardless of how you felt about the game it was nice to be able to flesh out a battle-mage a little more or to give the rogue a few more tricks up his sleeves, the relevance here is that I would enjoy a skill tree in DayZ but not restrictive classes. A point that I want to make is that this would definitely have a positive impact on the game in a couple of ways:

1) Loss of a character is now a tremendous set-back as you lose progress on these perks (This helps to pace gameplay in my opinion)

2) Another toy for RPG style players without being a broken gameplay advantage that forces people into classes.

As well as others I'm sure, however, this is a last leg of the race type of suggestion. I don't see a point in implementing this to a game that is still in it's early alpha, but if it was in the final (Hopefully standalone) full release I would be very happy to see it.

--EDIT rather than reply all over again--

well i dont know about everyone else but im simply proposing an alternative game mode to the original, not a replacement

If the system were built correctly there would be no reason to not have it on every server. Benefits are tiny and acquired over only long well thought out character careers, no reason to ask for more servers to have something else to separate them.

Edited by Royalimpact

I like the idea. I know there are several posts about this, but that just shows that people are interested in this. The point of the game, as I understand it, is to promote all playstyles. Not just YOUR style. So if this was added, it would need to be something subtle. Nothing that added combat value, or like several people mentioned most people would pick it. I personally would be a medic or engineer. I love building bases and helping people, so something like this would interest me. A doctor WOULD be better at medicine. A mechanic WOULD be better at fixing cars. Little bonuses that your character is born with.

I think subtle is the key to making something like this work. Class balance is always a pain in games, so make it more roleplaing and less important. So what if was like this:

Soilder: can combine several partially used ammo clips into 1 full clips

Doctor: Faster transusions and bandaging

Engineer: Faster setup/tear down time for building objects

Mechanic: Faster repair of vehicles

Etc: etc

I just think it would be really cool to see people in tattered versions of their uniforms from their profession.

Edited by Taggert1313

What if the doctor was a Marine Force Recon veteran? What if that Doctor can shoot ten times more accurately at longer ranges than a marine? What if that doctor spent plenty of his well earned cash purchasing firings and getting his shooting down to a science? What if a school teacher or a lawyer liked going hunting and they knew how to gut animals and to shoot? See, imposing rules and roles can break "roleplay" as well as how you perceive your character also. I still say no limitations that'll give you an advantage over other players.

I think having character classes you select at the beginning would add a cool wrinkle to the game, and have an effect on the way people play, since each one is tailored to a specific playstyle. Here are my ideas:

Survivalist

The survivalist is a character decked out in flannel, jeans, and a hunting vest. Survivalists get bonuses to inventory space and crafting. They can craft better items, such as cooked meat that restores more blood.

Soldier

The soldier is a character wearing full combat gear. Soldiers get bonuses to firearms proficiency and vitality. They also have a "Soldier's Intution", which is basically the dots on the edge of the screen that are already in the game, just limited so that only soldiers can see them. This allows them to have a better sense of where potential threats may be coming from. They are also more accurate with guns and heal a lot more quickly. However, due to the weight of their gear, they move more slowly.

Athlete

The athlete is... well, they're athletes. Wearing light jackets and cargo shorts, athletes' hunger and thirst meters drain a lot more slowly, and they also are more proficient with melee weapons and can run faster.

Bureaucrat

The bureaucrat is a character in a torn-up shirt and jacket. Bureaucrats spawn higher quantities (not quality) of loot, and are balanced in all other areas.

Hopefully none of these sound too unrealistic or game-breaking.

Hey I think it should be more like this... This seems more likely to be in the game becuase of all the ties to the games items and weapons... And I think it will cut down on player killing cause you wouldn't kill someone with something you could gain

Civilian--This occupation starts off at the shore and spawns with a flash light, and a water bottle, to help them start their journey for survival.

SWAT Member--This occupation starts off close to a police station and spawns with an MP5A5, and an M9.

Fire Fighter--This occupation starts off close to a fire station and spawns with a hatchet, and instead of a Coyote Patrol Pack the fire fighter starts with an Assault Pack, and also has supplies for 1 fire.

Paramedic--This occupation starts off close to a hospital and spawns with 2 bandages, 2 painkillers, 2 epi-pens, 1morphine auto injector, and 1antibiotics.

Soldier--This occupation starts off close to an airfield and spawns with an M4A3 CCO, and a Glock 17.

Special Forces Soldier--This occupation starts off close to a farm with a ghillie suit, an SVD CAMO, and an M9 SD.