Sign in to follow this  
Baseballkid9734

What Graphics Card Should I Choose?

A 7850 beats the 550Ti, the 560Ti - AND it beats the GTX 570 if you overclock. If you don't, it's only 2-4% behind the 570.

Does it have to be more obvious?

quote from any trustworthy tech site "HD 7850 provides great midrange capabilities beating the Radeon HD 6950 and the NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti."

Compare these 3 on the videocard"benchmark" website, rofl.

:edit: Synthetic benchmarking is the same as saying Furmark is the best GPU stress testing tool. Unrealistic and far from true.

Not all drivers are optimized for synthetic benchmarks.

Edited by Fapguy

Compare these 3 on the videocard"benchmark" website, rofl.

:edit: Synthetic benchmarks is like saying Furmark is the best GPU stress testing tool. Unrealistic and far from true.

Not all drivers are optimized for synthetic benchmarks.

I did compare those three on the aforementioned website, the result was actually pretty much the same as the quote (which lacks a source) that you cited.

Also, what exactly do you mean by synthetic benchmarks? Care to elaborate?

http://www.bit-tech....80-2gb-review/8

That benchmark listing should give the OP (and others) idea how different cards perform relatively in Arma2:CO.

According to that listing, I would go for AMD 6870 or better as it seems AMD seems to perform better in A2 than Nvidia. At least when comparing cards that are in the same price area.

My own 2 cents;

I used to run arma2 with one 560 Ti and I had to drop some settings down, especially AA (MSAA), to get more constant 60ish fps in Chernarus. Now with 2 560 ti's in a SLI (and OCed to 900mhz) I can bump the AA pretty high and rest of the settings as well. I am using native 1920x1200 resolution.

Edited by Atkins

I did compare those three on the aforementioned website, the result was actually pretty much the same as the quote (which lacks a source) that you cited.

Also, what exactly do you mean by synthetic benchmarks? Care to elaborate?

http://www.techwarel...l-vs-synthetic/

Should tell you everything you need to know.

TL;DR - Synthetic benchmark 1: AMD GPU for 300 dollars might score 1000 points / NVIDIA Counterpart GPU for 300 dollars might score 1005 points

Real world benchmark (Could be DayZ) 1: AMD GPU, scores 1005 / NVIDIA scores 995

Or it could be the other way around. Synthetic benchmarks are only a good indication of how powerful your GPU might be.

Edited by Fapguy
  • Like 1

http://www.techwarel...l-vs-synthetic/

Should tell you everything you need to know.

TL;DR - Synthetic benchmark 1: AMD GPU for 300 dollars might score 1000 points / NVIDIA Counterpart GPU for 300 dollars might score 1005 points

Real world benchmark (Could be DayZ) 1: AMD GPU, scores 1005 / NVIDIA scores 995

Or it could be the other way around. Synthetic benchmarks are only a good indication of how powerful your GPU might be.

Well thanks for clarifying what you meant by synthetic, which was actually what I knew all along about how that specific benchmark measures performance through calculations rather than actually playing a game of course (aka, a real world scenario). Considering all games are coded differently, make use of different technologies and may work better with some hardware than it does with others (regardless of the synthetic benchmark data). So of course, the actual real world performance is going to be different depending on the game and various other factors.

Though as the article you linked yourself says, these benchmarks still provide useful data, they are not as useless as you might have made them seem in your original post. You can still compare cards on a wide spectrum of the exact same benchmark, which provides consistency, not to mention thousands of different samples collected from different machines giving an average rating. It doesn't tell you anything about the real world scenario of course, but it does tell you about the quality of these cards on this specific benchmark, which is totally unbiased about how it obtains the results. I don't know if I made what I mean clear enough to you, I'm not as articulate as I would hope.

I would love for more benchmarks like the one nVidia did with Max Payne 3, where they showed the FPS running at what resolution and what settings with a range of GPUs. Those good benchmarks though are few and far between, I've never been able to find them for games. The best I've found are useless system requirements testers and the like, which as we all know, tell you nothing.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the terminology you were using (it's a good term).

Would just like to clarify on your final point, I like to see it as this rather than what you said: Synthetic benchmarks are a good indication of how powerful your GPU can be, but not a good indication of how it performs in certain games and/or software.

Maybe you can agree with that.

Edited by JaTochNietDan
  • Like 1

I really want to try Dayz out but don't have a great budget for a new computer and have a limited background with computers.

I was hoping someone could tell me whether this latop would be able to handle the ArmaII game and dayz mod?

http://www.ebuyer.co...op-nx-rurek-001

CPU AMD Quad-Core Processor A6-3420M 1.5GHz, AMD A60M FCH

4GB DDR3 RAM

GPU AMD Radeon HD 7670M – 1GB VRAM

For £500 do you think that i could have a smaller computer company build a computer to a good spec?

Thanks

EDIT: looks like the laptop is no longer available, but it would still be nice to know if these specs are up to scratch if I find something similar.t]

Edited by Gibbsy

Buy "GTX 560 ti" - it performs at least as good as 570, it's cheap, and you can buy another one to work with it as well.

WHAT?

I am running an intel celron single core 1.2 GHz, with an ATI Radeon HD 5450 with 2 gig of ram on a 15" CRT monitor and I get 30 - 50 FPS.

Y'all are crazy.

The 6870 is the best out of the 3. I have the msi r6870 HAWK. I hardly dip below 50fps. And run BF3 on Max setting and staying at a steady 60fps+ most of the time.

Buy "GTX 560 ti" - it performs at least as good as 570, it's cheap, and you can buy another one to work with it as well.

The 6870 is the best out of the 3. I have the msi r6870 HAWK. I hardly dip below 50fps. And run BF3 on Max setting and staying at a steady 60fps+ most of the time.

Whaat?

Weird, the 560 Ti is better than a 570 in pretty much everything, why is the 560 cheaper and always netting a lower score in every benchmark? I am confused by this.

Also, the 6870 can barely hold a steady 50 fps on "max" settings in SINGLEPLAYER unless you play below full HD resolution and if that's the case there's barely any reason to play with above low graphics. Multiplayer is a whole different subject for the 6870.. barely holding on to 39 fps. And how did BF3 get onto the DayZ forum?

Edited by Fapguy