Sign in to follow this  
themightyzang

Non group survivors.

I have been playing a while now and getting pretty good at surviving alone. I played in a group for a while and although there were benefits I think I prefer surviving alone. As a group I think small mistakes are a lot less costly, a few times now I have died because of broken bones, passing out or being out-gunned by a team of bandits. I think alone you can make decisions much quicker and only have to account for your own well being or that of people you meet along the way. Does anyone else prefer going solo? And does anyone have any tips to make survival easier?

Some where in the western woods.

-Zang

• Like 1

I'm not sure about that I have only ever got 2 non bandit kills i.e murders and both of them I felt pretty bad about one was when I was bleeding to death and stumbled in on someone and was worried I would pass out there and then in front of them the other I spoke of in a post early on and was petty revenge. Bandits I have met tend to engage from range and are pretty bad at hitting someone who is trying to avoid it or they follow you and wait until you stop which isn't too bad if you keep checking your trail or do occasional snap ambushes. It's not that I'm adverse to killing or even bad at it, It's just not the way I want to play.

I like both but agree it's simpler when surviving alone. I often play with our Community members as part of groups ranging from 2 or 3 up to about 8-9 and its much quicker and more straight forward on my own. I die a lot less too funnily enough! But generalyl depends on your objectives; purely surviving then yes its easier alone, but objective based play and domination of resources and map areas then it's got to be team play.

Box have you ever successfully held an area for a long time I remember watching the whole fort friendly thing unfold. I guess though it's true all I am achieving is my own survival. Maybe I'll look and see if there are any cool sounding group things Fort Friendly and the Trading post guys have the right idea about groups I think just needs some work on the whole not getting massacred by bandits front.

No not yet to be honest. We've tried in the early days with small numbers and did ok but ultimately it proved difficult to get enough players on the same server. However since then much has changed and we're in the process of giving it a better attempt under better conditions and with a few more bodies. I guess we will see how it goes, if you want to find out check out our website where we will post updates.

I did see it done quite well on smaller scales in the early days, most notably "Smarties Bar", a trading warehouse near Cherno.

Edited by Box

yeah but if you are just "surviving"

all you need is minimum

• 1 water bottle
  • hunting knife
  • hatchet
  • matches

after that you can just avoid people entirely and go somewhere north in the boonies and just stay by a pond and kill pigs etc with your hatchet.... 100,000 uses will last you awhile

then you are stuck with... doing nothing

continuously entering towns etc and looking for items isn't surviving anymore it sounds like you are trying to do something else entirely

you are trying to find something and it is an unecessary thing to do once you have your bare minimum survival gear

• Like 1

Yeah I do sometimes resort to hiding in the woods eating pigs and drinking pond water when I get hurt and have no meds, I guess what I am doing is just drifting around I pick something on the horizon that looks interesting and then make my way to it and try not to die, if I see people I try to watch them and decide if they will kill me, because this is so hard to determine I rarely make contact although sometimes by accident or in unavoidable circumstances it can't be helped. Ceaseless wandering means I know a lot of the map by now from memory and the only objective is the things on the horizon or when a need occurs food, ammo water etc. I'm like a post apocalypse hobo. When you play do you have set objectives in your mind? or do you just wander around looking for stuff, people encounters?

sorry for this ultra-noob question guys but how do you choose or know who is a bandit ?

is it just a title player-killers get for well, killing other peoples ? or is there some kind of options to choose wether your a bandit or not ?

thank you :)

Haha Zang, reading your post its like story of my DayZ life! I like to play in groups, which I've realized the best way is to just post in one of these forums and someone responds. You can generally trust people willing to give you there skype I've figured (which generally their skype has their real life names too lol).

In game.. I tend to avoid people completely.. Especially when I have decent gear, if I dont then no harm done asking. I dont know how people choose between being a bandit or a friendly. I could imagine if i were with people and we decided to kill others, because of the whole group mentality, being part of the group. But I dont know if I could kill a survivor I haven't interacted with or backstab them.

I had my best gear I've had and was ready to head into the woods and live off the land, when in the middle of nowhere I hear a voice taunting me. I quickly checked to see if there was global chat on this server and there wasnt... therefore he was close to me, watching me. I took off running, and it was probably stupid of me, but I went into an empty field in hopes of catching him out in the open, but he opened fire on me with some kind of rifle, I zig zagged back and forth like ive been taught in movies, tv, whatever and i dodged a lot of the bullets.

I propped down in a clump of trees thinking I lost him, but he came back taunting me, I wasnt sure if he knew where I was or he was bluffing so i stayed put, proned. That ended fast when he put a bullet in my head....

I was fuming, but what could I do? Why did he feel like picking on a noob with his first good life? I've now met some group friendlies through these forums and I can say they make the gaming experience. I dont think I'll ever like big groups, 3-4 was perfect for me, and it was personal enough to learn who's who.

For my personal objective in the game.... I feel like its human natures. We spawn along the coast, mostly to the south, we raid the nearby villages and sneak around the cities to gear up. We want to know what this games about so we go toward the unknown.... North