Same way you know your hunger or thirst is too high.

Edited by Shakakahn
  • Like 2

if you are hanging out in the rain or it is a dark windy night, you can plan to need to get to a warm place soon or get ready to do a fire or heatpack

Yes but how do I know when that time has come. AFAIK the icon just goes white, but not sure how white it has to go. Will it start blinking? If yes, how long do I have do get a heatpack or start a fire?

In the debug I just knew I had to stay above 33C. Once I would've hit 33C then I would've started a fire

Edited by Messerschmitt

Same way you know your hunger or thirst is too high.

This is here for that purpose, sure, but the icon is less than perfect and not very easy to know how close you are to being too cold. I don't mind not having the number, but the icon needs to be more precise/reactive.

• Like 1

Perhaps you all should have used the thermo gauge to begin with instead of relying on the debug menu?

If it goes white warm up, If it's night raining hard and your running non stop you should know by now how long you've got.

Get over it. carry a heat pack and stay in buildings for 5 mins every town you come across. It's not hard.

Last night i tested it. it will remain white and then just start blinking. At that point my person didnt start shaking and i got an infection. Almost died to it but had a buddy come save me.

You start coughing if sick. Was with buddies earlier and got too cold. Started a fire and warmed up. After a while we started heading to camp. I didn't stay near enough to the fire so got cold again. On the run back my buddy asked who was coughing and I noticed my blood dropping.

I estimate 10mins of blinking cold and you likely to get sick.

Yes but how do I know when that time has come. AFAIK the icon just goes white, but not sure how white it has to go. Will it start blinking? If yes, how long do I have do get a heatpack or start a fire?

In the debug I just knew I had to stay above 33C. Once I would've hit 33C then I would've started a fire

Actually, the threshold for sickness is higher than 33C. Regardless, I myself don't know how to tell how cold I am really.

If you should get far too cold, your character will begin to shake and shiver. This does not necessarily mean you are sick. When you are sick, you will begin coughing. Once you are sick, approaching any other survivor has a high chance of infecting them too.

The more you know!

I estimate 10mins of blinking cold and you likely to get sick.

Again, the threshold is much much higher than that, and the chance of getting infected is rather random. You can even become sick the very moment you pass the threshold (I can't recall what that is, 36C maybe?). Zombie hits at low temperature or while bleeding also greatly increase the chance of infection.

Edited by Askar

So how am I suppose to approach this when playing at night? When do I know if I need to warm up?

What are the ways to warm up other than warmpack.

Make fire and just sit close to it? Do I need to select any option at the fire?

Sitting inside a house/barn, basically something that has a roof, will that warm me up too?

The icon is just too crappy unfortunately :/

I agree the icon sucks. I got infected tonight from cold, had to spend hours hunting and raiding hospitals (finally found antibiotics, BOOYAH!). Now its day (which I think was 42c) and I really don't see much difference in the icon. And I've never seen it flash. Not tonight even.

If someone could post some pics to show when its too cold, I would appreciate it. Also if anyone can explain the logistics of being by a fire (how close, how long) I would really appreciate that too.

I agree the icon sucks. I got infected tonight from cold, had to spend hours hunting and raiding hospitals (finally found antibiotics, BOOYAH!). Now its day (which I think was 42c) and I really don't see much difference in the icon. And I've never seen it flash. Not tonight even.

If someone could post some pics to show when its too cold, I would appreciate it. Also if anyone can explain the logistics of being by a fire (how close, how long) I would really appreciate that too.

Me too.. I was doing so damn well, I got NVG's, a nightvision+thermal sniper rifle.. loads of food, painkillers, bandages, heatpacks, drinks.... And all of a sudden, I'm infected. I had just used a damn heatpack anyway and been inside buildings, but now that the celsius amount isn't even visible in the status box thing, I find it insanely hard to determine what the icon is all about.

It never gets green like the others do.. it never blinked.. it's always just some sort of brown/grey/bland colour.

Really pissed me off that I had been taking so good care of my character and all of a sudden I start losing 3 blood every second and coughing absolutely non-stop. Not stopping for a second. And as antibiotics are insanely hard to find, I just put my most important stuff in a tent and hoping anyone won't find em while I look for the antibiotics.. and probably end up dying.. :P

Edit: DAMN russian wanker stole my stuff while out there looking for the antibiotics.. I died, but at least I was happy that I got my NVG's and other goodies in a tent so I could go get them... Traveled a looooong trip just to get to my tent aaand it was empty, with another tent planted right next to it, as if to say "U MAD?"

Sigh... nothing in this game can go well, ever, can it?

Brutal.

Edited by sarcasm83