Sign in to follow this  
Absolut_Zero

VPS Server question

I'm interested in running a VPS server, and yes, I found one beefy enough to handle Day Z in both computing power and bandwidth.

I also understand that it has been repeated over and over again that passwording servers is illegal and will result in a blacklisting by the mod team. I have a very specific goal in mind for this server, and I would like to leave @hive disabled by totally removing the folder from the VPS, thereby making the characters on that server non-transferrable to anywhere else. I've heard that if I do that, it's ok to password the server and make it a private, invitational community.

Is this true? Am I still risking a blacklist even if I'm not connected to the hive? Also, and more importantly, will anything even spawn?

Thank you for your time and your feedback.

What you're thinking is completely possible, though it's not as simple as just removing the @hive folder, you'll need a private db setup to get it going properly. Google "tunngle your own dayz server".

What you're thinking is completely possible, though it's not as simple as just removing the @hive folder, you'll need a private db setup to get it going properly. Google "tunngle your own dayz server".

The server I would rent is completely blank. I would have to install everything myself, but I'm capable of doing so....I think ;)

Also, that link is OUTSTANDING. Thank you so much that got bookmarked faster than a jackrabbit on a date.

Edited by Absolut_Zero

Search for Angry Adventrue and anti rocket on You Tube. They have DayZ server setups complete with your own database. I run one of these and it runs great. It runs way better than my public server because the database is on the same computer. The only thing is the updates lag behind when the official updates come out. Which is why I run 2 servers.

Search for Angry Adventrue and anti rocket on You Tube. They have DayZ server setups complete with your own database. I run one of these and it runs great. It runs way better than my public server because the database is on the same computer. The only thing is the updates lag behind when the official updates come out. Which is why I run 2 servers.

The from what I can tell, it's only a few days difference in updates. I can deal with that.

Thank you for those links, very helpful!