Irenicus (DayZ)

Post here if Game is unplayable for you due to Low FPS

Hey guys, can you PLEASE paste it in a pastebin and provide a link? Scrolling this is a pain. Thanks guys.

Thankyou for confirming this! I get about 9fps now, and a max of 17fps. My PC was a beast when I built it a few years back and it still plays every single game great, even on high-max settings.

Glad to see (though Im not glad for us lol) that it's not just me. Cheers

Keep posting here guys so we can get some attention. Because right now more people are focusing on the glitches but that will get fixed. This needs fixing more IMO

Working fine for me again. I think I'd just connected to several peice of shit servers jam packed with useless crap; lagging it up.

Just saying, i play with a dinosaur pc (Core 2 duo / GeForce 8800 gtx / 3 GB RAM) and some of you guys get lower fps than me (usually 15-20 while in town, 30-37 country). Try lowering your graphic settings to the lowest then going up till you get graphic/performance balance (idiotic recommendation), also set ARMA2 to the highest procesing priority and/or enable the use of all cpu cores for the game (this game is all about cpu). Look around in google for instructions according to your OS.

Hey guys i really need some help i would be so thankful if anybody could help me.

I got Arma2 via Steam just to play DayZ just two days ago. Just as i started the game i got insane fps problem (i know many people are complaining about the same problem here) so i started reading forum posts and found the tip where it says you should go in the Arma2 and Arma2OA cfg folder and replace numbers here simply to a "1" (btw sorry for my possible bad english, im also not that familiar with technical stuff all around the computer at all).GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Well, so far so good, i did this but it didnt help at all, nothing changed. I checked like all possible driver updates and stuff, in adition to trying to keep the game running with all possible graphic settings ingame. I know my computer isnt the best (Core 2 duo / Geforce gtx 260 / 4GB Ram) but please dont tell me like "go get a better computer and stuff", because my brother can run the game easily with the exact same computer (which confuses me even more).

Im pretty sure reinstalling steam and the whole game again wont help at all so.. If anybody got another idea which could be helpful please tell me.

EDIT: Its not continuously lags, its like the game freezes all 5-10secs for about 2-5secs.. actually i got a pretty good frame rate if its not "frozen". Oh yea after reading EpicA Trains post below, i noticed that my sound also lags during these "freezes" *lol...

Edited by Vortix

Misc. Laptop +3 ys.

Windows Vista™ Ultimate 64, sp2

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz

4094MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512MB (d) 1791 MB (s)

SATA 1.5Gb/s

Pretty crappy fps: 5-10 town/city and 8-15 countryside on overall low settings... not done tweaking yet, but i doubt it´ll ever be "nice".

Edited by DooMike

Here's what I got so far. My investigation is checking around 3 possible areas. If I am right, the ones with constant fps problems regardless of what changes they make or what server they are on will have the problem in one of 3 areas. They will either have:

A 64 bit system;

Sound performance problems (sound causes lag too, not just video);

and/or

Steam downloaded game.

I haven't had the time to go through anybody's dxdiag logs yet (been really busy here) so please keep them linked. For those of you who have posted your dxdiag in this forum, please use pastebin.com and post your link... That way we don't have to scroll. Thanks.

I do not have a solution as of this moment because I'm not at my workstation this week (out of town). I've been reading this via mobile and googling information. As soon as I find a temporary solution, I will post it. Then I will check to find or write a permanent solution for everybody to use. Once again, I am NOT a dayz developer, just a hardware and software guru. Thanks for your time.

Only posting because people are complaining with better performance than me...

I get around 20fps everywhere. Playable, but could definitely be better.

13" MacBook Pro, mid-2010

Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz P8600

4GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 320m 256MB dedicated, 1.5GB shared (304.79)

Windows 7 Professional x64

Run at native resolution, no AA or other filtering, no shadows, everything on high or above.

EDIT: Just a tip, been said many times. Having stuff below high, although it sounds like you'll get better performance, will DROP your frame rate by at least 10, unless your GPU sucks (Intel GMA, etc) because everything is being rendered by the CPU. Putting stuff on high or above makes it rendered on the GPU.

Edited by Gatortribe

EDIT: Just a tip, been said many times. Having stuff below high, although it sounds like you'll get better performance, will DROP your frame rate by at least 10, unless your GPU sucks (Intel GMA, etc) because everything is being rendered by the CPU. Putting stuff on high or above makes it rendered on the GPU.

That can't be true. Most all video options can be out right disabled, of course they won't be offloaded to CPU or GPU since they're disabled, though correct me if a retard coded the engine.

Now, for the rest of the video options (and pretty much every other video option) I've looked at my FPS before and after putting them on different settings, lower has always given me better FPS than higher, while some options have no effect.

It has nothing to do with steam or non steam (they are the same, and you can even launch your game without steam ) or even your hardware. It's just poor coding optimisation. I don't know what they did but since monday it's back to normal for me, except for those damm artifacts which will be fixed later today with 1.7.2.5

It certainly shouldn't be sounds affecting it if you have a half decent sound card. If onboard then it's possible I suppose but I stopped using on board sound after I built my first PC lol.

I'm actually able to crank my settings higher than before so I have no idea what they did but it's working. I'm guessing hive clean up?

Also, it's worth trying RAMDisk, gained a decent amount of performance from it and also a lot smoother (less stutters)

Hope this will help at least some of you. cheers

Edited by Irenicus

Was working fine, getting a consistent 20-30fps. Log in to the same server again tonight (NZ 7) and it's a slideshow. This has happened on this server before. Everyone got kicked, logged in again to an empty server and it was back to normal. So, for me at least, it's not client side.

• Like 1

Was working fine, getting a consistent 20-30fps. Log in to the same server again tonight (NZ 7) and it's a slideshow. This has happened on this server before. Everyone got kicked, logged in again to an empty server and it was back to normal. So, for me at least, it's not client side.

For sure, it's not client side. I've had similar experiences to yourself. Problem I have is I end up tweaking to get better FPS, but when it IS in fact running as best as can be expected, lowering some options actually results in worse FPS.

So what I do is back up my cfg files when I have it running smooth, in case I change anything. That way I can be sure it's not something I changed. So yeah, definitely a server/hive issue or a combination of both?

I personally think its ArmA mostly causing lag/fps issues, and dayz just adds a bit more to it lol. I mean what kind of game still has this many problems after being out for YEARS. I don't know, i play reg ArmA 2 too, and i get aggravated that i payed money for a product that is advertised as Finished, and yet feels so unfinished. Kinda dissapoints me, and i really hope bohemia doesn't make the same mistakes in the release of ArmA 3.

• Like 1

Overclocking my CPU seems to help. 3.6GHz to 4.5GHZ, for some reason CPU usage increased and GPU usage doubled with this overclock. This is strange behavior.

That can't be true. Most all video options can be out right disabled, of course they won't be offloaded to CPU or GPU since they're disabled, though correct me if a retard coded the engine.

Now, for the rest of the video options (and pretty much every other video option) I've looked at my FPS before and after putting them on different settings, lower has always given me better FPS than higher, while some options have no effect.

I was hoping people would be able to realize I meant things that can't be disabled such as HDR.

• Like 1

Well I get better FPS with shadows on high than on normal Also, when on a server that runs well, I can change a lot of settings from disabled or low, to normal or even high and get no difference in FPS. This just proves to me that my rig can handle it but DayZ is badly optimised.

I also discovered something interesting yesterday while watching a youtube vid about that church gathering (last church of elektro), that zombies that are spawned by you (by proximity) are actually hosted by you, not by the server. No wonder it gets worse with time!

Well I get better FPS with shadows on high than on normal Also, when on a server that runs well, I can change a lot of settings from disabled or low, to normal or even high and get no difference in FPS. This just proves to me that my rig can handle it but DayZ is badly optimised.

I also discovered something interesting yesterday while watching a youtube vid about that church gathering (last church of elektro), that zombies that are spawned by you (by proximity) are actually hosted by you, not by the server. No wonder it gets worse with time!

Actually Rocket stated in a meeting (lost the link) that zombies spawned are hosted by the server, but once agro'd its up to the client.

Basically, with most of the settings in arma, if its on high its the gpu rendering it, normal or below its the cpu. Fyi obect detail can increase gps in cities. Object controls how many polygons are allowed in the scene, ie very low =150000, low=200000, normal=300000 i think. Numbers may not be correct, but i know it controls the polygon count.

I was hoping people would be able to realize I meant things that can't be disabled such as HDR.

And yet turning up HDR is one of the biggest killers of my FPS, object quality being the biggest. Not sure what you're getting at by your post, as I mostly just talked about the settings that can't be disabled.

Where is everyone getting the idea that ArmA renders things on GPU only on high settings? GPU usage is low and CPU usage is rather high, so this seems to be incorrect. Perhaps the engine is running differently on different computers? Either way, players should go to the video options and test all configurations to see what gives them the best FPS. For me, lower always provides better FPS with no exceptions.

Shadows are the only option afaik that switch between GPU and CPU depending on High(GPU) or Normal(CPU) setting.

which is the hotkey for seeing FPS?

There is no hot key. Open Fraps or bandicam then you will be able to see your FPS on the top etc.

• Like 1

Basically, with most of the settings in arma, if its on high its the gpu rendering it, normal or below its the cpu. Fyi obect detail can increase gps in cities. Object controls how many polygons are allowed in the scene, ie very low =150000, low=200000, normal=300000 i think. Numbers may not be correct, but i know it controls the polygon count.

Object detail also changes how far you will see objects to a degree. View distance has no influence in DayZ as that setting is server controlled. But if you change your object detail to low or normal, you can see players further away. I only discovered this through trial and error.