beans

Scripters, Hackers, have more control than me, an admin.

In any case, for some reason, there seems to be a fundamental lack of trust of server admins at work here. I'm not sure why, since that's never been a problem with any other game that I've been involved with. No other game developer has told me who I can and can't kick/ban. I'd honestly like to know why the devs don't trust us to police our own territory. I realize that there are some petulant folks out there who will kick/ban for any perceived slight, but frankly, I'd rather risk that than allow the game to be completely overrun by hackers as it is now.

Because in other games complaining about abusive admins only get you insults or a ban from said server. In other games, server admins are GODs on their own turf.

So what your saying it you would rather have hackers than a chance of abusive admins?

No I'm saying they are equally bad

lol this is preposterous

please do not link to cheat sites

no need to give them free advertising and traffic

Because in other games complaining about abusive admins only get you insults or a ban from said server. In other games, server admins are GODs on their own turf.

generally speaking, whoever pays for the server, makes the rules.

don't like their rules? don't play there.

it only makes sense if the dayz dev team wants total control, they will have to foot the total bill

the "rules" here are not enforced. not across the board. half of the servers i join either kick me immediately or have MOTD stating rules that are against what the "rules" are for the mod. not to mention all the passworded servers

between the lack of a decent game server providers supporting this mod. the POS that is ARMA2 and the lack of any way to deal with cheaters/griefers/douchébags in an approved manner. it is very unlikely my community will continue paying for a server.

i think there may be one or two hosts left that we haven't tried.

our current host thinks a 5-6 hour response time to trouble tickets is something to crow about. that is an average, of course, we haven't had one answered in twice that long. usually 4 times...

Ok... then why are they preventing ME from doing anything about the hackers? Why are the DayZ staff asking me to submit proof of hacking (which I can't do) to them when they can't do anything?

That is a very good question, which I think someone said "DayZ Staff doesn't trust me." I think best sums it up. They can't be mind readers on who is the good admin or bad admin. I truely do believe the Bad Admins outweigh the good and we get the short end of the stick.

A lot of people rent the servers to play on them, not to proper help with testing this game. A conflict of interest arises from that point.

• Like 1

This is retarded.

Basically you have two choices. On the one hand, the guy who sets up a server you are currently playing on gets a little bit more information on who is doing what in his server, such as who killed who, and may or may not use that information to ban people. Admins can kick people right now, it just takes some guess work, and may lead to the wrong guy getting kicked. Worst case, you get a server with a bad admin who does, what? There's no chat log. You can't get into an argument. So he does what, bans you? For stealing his hoard of canned beans? Go to another server.

Now on the other side, you've got some a-hat script punk who goes onto a server that he had no part in setting up or paying for who then starts spawning vehicles, teleporting you into walls, and can't be killed. And he can jump from server to server to spread the fun and do it without being traced. If you'd prefer that over giving admins some more information on potential cheaters, then go soak your head.

This is retarded.

Basically you have two choices. On the one hand, the guy who sets up a server you are currently playing on gets a little bit more information on who is doing what in his server, such as who killed who, and may or may not use that information to ban people. Admins can kick people right now, it just takes some guess work, and may lead to the wrong guy getting kicked. Worst case, you get a server with a bad admin who does, what? There's no chat log. You can't get into an argument. So he does what, bans you? For stealing his hoard of canned beans? Go to another server.

Not that simple. If you ban an individual and its reported, DayZ will warn you. Failure to adhere to them saying to unban said individual, even if hacking and you have no proof, would result in blacklisting.

Sucks, but that is just how it is.

There is a simple solution to this, Battle eye just needs to flick the "Enable client side scripting" switch to off... that would make it harder for mods and even admins to change things that are needed but in the long run it would be worth it

I believe that Rocket will be able to get more anti-cheat protection once the game becomes standalone!!

• Like 1

There is a simple solution to this, Battle eye just needs to flick the "Enable client side scripting" switch to off... that would make it harder for mods and even admins to change things that are needed but in the long run it would be worth it

I am curious about this suggestion. What scripts do players actually run while in game besides the ones that connect to the server and how will this suggestion combat battleye jacking?

hi,

OP, you have my beans. Without server admins who pay for our enjoyment there'd be no DayZ at all. Thanks a lot for that!

I agree tracking hackers MUST be the first priority.

People can say "it's alpha deal with hackers" but how can we test a mod if we are thunderdomed every fucking days?

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller
  • Like 1

I agree with this, Rocket has to put #1 priority on the hackers. I have stopped playing because of the rampant cheating that's going on. :(

Hopefully, stand alone will be released soon or hackers are taken care of.

for all you guys out there worried about abusive admins, open your narrow minds and think, an admin pays good money to run a server, he likes it when it becomes popular, when you get a cock of an admin and starts abusing his powers, players will simply find another server to game in, in the end he is paying 100 dollars a month for an empty server, so his action will take care of the cock admin, self destruction. hence why abusive admins is never the problem, if you actually had any experience in running a game server you would know this. and to the other cock that keeps saying dayz staff cant do anything about the hackers, no shit mate, we know there isnt any anti-cheat system that works, but he question was..........................turn back on player a was killed by player b so we can check out logs ourselves and see the hacker that has just teleported 50 people to one spot and gunned them down..........................you very rarely see anyone in dayz, so if you get someone that is consistently killing people one after the other then this is what proof is, this is where experience comes in. this is what common f#$%kn sense is. this is how administrating servers work. 11 years experience, i know!

I am curious about this suggestion. What scripts do players actually run while in game besides the ones that connect to the server and how will this suggestion combat battleye jacking?

From what i understand (I may be wrong) Battleeye uses client and serverside scripts to send and receive its update/version and client history, this making it harder for it to see the difference between a (Cheat) script and a required one, as i said I may be wrong but i beleive i read that somewhere
  • Like 1

From what i understand (I may be wrong) Battleeye uses client and serverside scripts to send and receive its update/version and client history, this making it harder for it to see the difference between a (Cheat) script and a required one, as i said I may be wrong but i beleive i read that somewhere

I know Jacking Battleye isn't difficult, and ultimately it doesn't matter what scripts are needed because it makes the Scripts invisible to Battleye as they use memory from battleye... Lemme find the post that explains it.

"The problem at the moment though, isn't Battleye failing (Well, kinda) It's the fact you can use a "hook" to inject into the Client-side Battleye process and typing a few lines of code that effectively make all the scripts you execute invisible to the server log, which means you can't get kicked, banned, etc.

Once they find the memory space getting "hooked" onto, they release an update and a mass ban rolls out."

I really do like the idea however if battleye can fix there problems... Then I suppose hacking wouldn't be so difficult to deal with right now, but it also goes in hand with how ArmaII's engine is open to the clients... making this all ridiculously easy for hackers.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

I won't buy the standalone until everyone says the hacker problem is under control

• Like 2

As much as I would love to disagree with you and defend the fact that they're trying... I don't think they are :\

Love the game, like a lot of the people who play and I enjoy server admins like you. I don't see any reason that this is has gone on this long. However, I know this thread is totally pissing in the wind... Nothing will be done about the hackers, simply because this is in Alpha. I suppose it's good that we're seeing how people are using cheats, scripts, pointers, etc to abuse aspects of the game. I guess it's better that it happens now and not after the game goes live.

Maybe things will look up in the future, but I guess for now the main rule is as said before: "Don't get attached to your gear. Why? Because either a player, a zombie, a bug or a cheater is going to kill you."

What I don't understand is why... Why would someone want to kill everyone on the server? It's pointless... My buddies had a theory... They think it's a lot of the people that come from FPS arcade games (like Call of Duty) and can't take the slow-paced, 30 minute flank gameplay. So since they don't like the game, they start googling for ways to cheat.

I'm not sure... I could say so much on this topic that this post could take up an entire page but it isn't worth it really...

Guess the best thing we can do is watch and wait.

Best of luck to ya bud, you're not the only one getting irritated.

No I'm saying they are equally bad

Ok, I'll bite.

Hackers and abusive admins are equally bad? So I assume the thinking here is "Since there might be some abusive admins, I'd better not let any of them have any control over their own servers." Right?

There's a few problems with that thinking. First, the tug-of-war between admins and hackers is essentially a zero-sum game. One side must prevail. So, by neutering admins, hackers will prevail, as we see now. Second, not all admins are abusive (as even Lady Kyrah grudgingly stated). I have yet to see even one person hacking for the good of the community. Third, the message being sent to admins is "We don't trust you." Ok, fine. But realize that such a message doesn't make me more wiling to part with my money to host a server for your game if I'm just going to spend the whole time reading mind-numbing logs and beating my head against a wall.

Think of this another way. Hackers are the criminals and we admins are the police. What we're being told is that we, the police, can't arrest anyone ourselves, but instead have to be present and film a crime occurring then submit it to the city council, since they've heard there might be some corrupt cops and they don't trust us. There are some cops that are corrupt and abuse their position, but there are more (more than half, I'd say) that want to do the right thing and keep the streets safe. The criminals, on the other hand, have only one thing in mind - breaking the law for their own purposes. None of them care about doing the right thing, keeping the community safe, etc.

What you're saying is that corrupt cops are as bad as criminals. You're right. However, does that mean you cripple ALL police because there are a few bad ones? I'm sure you could imagine just how effective that would be in any city upon the deterrence of crime. Same holds true here.

• Like 2

I know Jacking Battleye isn't difficult, and ultimately it doesn't matter what scripts are needed because it makes the Scripts invisible to Battleye as they use memory from battleye... Lemme find the post that explains it.

"The problem at the moment though, isn't Battleye failing (Well, kinda) It's the fact you can use a "hook" to inject into the Client-side Battleye process and typing a few lines of code that effectively make all the scripts you execute invisible to the server log, which means you can't get kicked, banned, etc.

Once they find the memory space getting "hooked" onto, they release an update and a mass ban rolls out."

I really do like the idea however if battleye can fix there problems... Then I suppose hacking wouldn't be so difficult to deal with right now, but it also goes in hand with how ArmaII's engine is open to the clients... making this all ridiculously easy for hackers.

I think your analysis is right. I'm just hopeful that in Arma 3 or in a standalone DayZ, they'll have a hard look at other, more effective anti-cheat engines.

• Like 1

Nice job OP.

For the reasons you mentioned I've left the main hive and I'm now playing on a private hive server. Most fun I've had since I started playing this game.

I think your analysis is right. I'm just hopeful that in Arma 3 or in a standalone DayZ, they'll have a hard look at other, more effective anti-cheat engines.

I do too.

A lot of people claim this is the worst hacking they have seen in any game... Which is not true. I remember admining for Minecraft in its Alpha-Beta stages and it was really, really bad then. However, that game had private databases per server, hosts, so on. So the experience was much less of a hassel.

I think the big deciding factor here what limits server admins from having too much power is the HIVE system and how information is carried from server to server.

I am really hoping also ArmaIII and the Standalone (suggested to come out in Dec.) handles this problem.

A lot of good information about hackers and how it works can be located here..

800 posts. Fuck yeah.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

''killed by'' only for the duration of a patch, could end in a lot of bans for hackers..we are here to test so why don't try this?

i know we would have a lot of legit kills taken for hacks, but we will stop multikills at least. but those logs don't say anything about all that shit these bastards cover us with?

• Like 1

Nice job OP.

For the reasons you mentioned I've left the main hive and I'm now playing on a private hive server. Most fun I've had since I started playing this game.

/facepalm

I hope you will enjoy being the admin's little bitch.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

/facepalm

I hope you will enjoy being the admin's little bitch.

I continue to be amazed at your jaded attitude toward admins. If you don't like the admins on one server, go play somewhere else.

A lot of good information about hackers and how it works can be located here..

Read both. Frankly, there aren't a lot of things an admin can really do that don't also negatively affect him too (stop/restart server affects everyone, kick/ban/lock gets you blacklisted). I'm not sure where the admin hate and distrust come from.