Sign in to follow this  
suprmn4105

Why do servers reset? Restart vs Reset, need some info?

I am not a server admin, so I don't know the workings of DayZ on the backend. What I am looking for is an explanation of the difference between a server restart and reset, in regards specifically to DayZ.

My group and I had finally found a server that seemed stable. According to online stats it had been up and running for months and had been running DayZ from the get go. We decide to make this our camp server and begin scavenging. Over the course of a week or so we built up quite an impressive camp. We had a decent sized tent city and several vehicles. We play EST and the server would restart once each day before we got on. All of our stuff saved after each server restart. Vehicles and tents kept their place and their content.

My group and I play through the night. Around 8AM this morning, we are driving along and BAM "Connection Lost". No warning, no red or yellow chain break. Just disconected. I was a little concerened right away given that we were driving along in a car at high speeds when the connection was lost. I figured the server is doing its normal server restart. We wait a few minutes and we are able to get back into the lobby and then a few minutes later we are able to get into the game.

After we get back in, we are both in the same spot that we were before the server restarts, sans the car we were driving in. At this point I am just HOPING the car is where we left it in our camp, the last placed we saved it.

We trek all the way back to our base camp and EVERYTHING is gone. So, this is where my question comes in. The server restarted evry day before now. This event appeard to be just another server restart, but this time everything went away. So I am calling it a server reset.

My question is, what happened to make all our stuff dissapear after days of use and saving, and why?

~Mark

My bet is that the next server restart will bring it back. My server has done that to us a few times.

This happens from time to time. The server needs to be restarted again and all your stuff should be back.

My bet is that the next server restart will bring it back. My server has done that to us a few times.

That sounds awesome. I will keep my fingers crossed and post back if that indeed does happen.