Sign in to follow this  
doonbugie

Radiation

I never understood why people link Zs and radiation...

Don't like the idea. Because if implemented in any realistic fashion what would happen is this:

- You'll never even realize you have been exposed to radiation' date=' since you can't see, hear, taste, smell or feel it

- You'll start randomly vomiting, getting bloody diarrhea, be physically weaker

- Then you'll die

Radiation poisoning is a shitty way to die. And it doesn't lend itself to games, since it'll be just a lot of seemingly random death and people whining about them.

[/quote']

This all takes time and you don't instantly die from light radiation pockets similar to the ones in the Ukraine. If you get out quickly you either won't get radiation sickness, or just mild dizzies.

Well, I don't think that makes the idea any better. There's still no way to detect/avoid it, so it's random deaths and people whining about it. As for the low doses that don't affect you all that much: why simulate them at all if they don't affect you all that much?

I still think it's unnecessary and only brought up because it's "cool".

No thank you' date=' bored of people suggesting ways to make the game even harder. What we need is suggestions to make the game even [i']better.

and how would you do this? I assume you just sit in towns and shoot random people like a COD player. There needs to be more lonewolf survivor gameplay, I'm tired of just shooting people all day. Make it hard.. seriously the game is SO easy, how to win: spin 360 degrees and watch for nametags, see nametag then fire CZ shot at them and take their shit. Repeat.

Easy fix: play on servers with vet difficulty. No nametags there. Personally I think servers running this mod should all have nametags disabled.

Did you read my post? There should be Geigar counters or something that are easily found on dead zombies or firestations/hostpitals etc so you could detect it, not to mention instant dizziness and coughing should cue them in quite quickly. Should make looting towns harder.

I don't like the idea of giving us more "things" to over come - to me it feels like artificial difficulty rather than actual difficulty, which, in my opinion, comes from a deeper experience.

Take hunger for example. Finding canned food is pretty easy, therefore it should be less effective. Hunting takes more time, patience, luck, and should therefore be more effective. Making me get hungrier faster doesn't make the experience deeper, or the game more challenging. It just makes the difficulty level cheap.

I think that's what makes a game difficult, basically asking yourself "how hard do I want this to be?" and not "how hard is this?" so that you could take the easier, less effective route, or the more effective, but more difficult route. Or, in many cases, combine the two because that's what's been presented to you.

I'm a pretty big STALKER fan but I will admit radiation seems a bit far fetched. Perhaps if they ever made a STALKER MMO similar to DayZ it would fit, but it just seems unnecessary in Chernarus. Maybe if there ever will be a hand-made map for DayZ it could have a ground zero as a result of the chaos created by the apocalypse with good loot that is irradiated (and needs suit to safely access).

Most Geiger counters can't measure gamma radiation (granted, not that big of a deal since ingestion/inhalation of stuff radiating alpha is much more dangerous). Plus, they are not exactly plentiful. And you don't get dizzy or sick immediately. Takes at least some hours, and by then it's too late. Look up some real-world cases, there's plenty of well documented ones.

It's simply my opinion that people think it's cool because it's never been implemented in a game anywhere near realistic. If it was there would be whining.

I don't like gamey mechanics to be added. I also don't like frustrating mechanics. Therefore I don't think it would add to the game in a meaningful way. As I said -> opinion. You can disagree, but you can't change it.

Would be neat and add more interest to survival. Yeah whatever' date=' haters gonna hate. :)

[/quote']

I actually thought about this too last night. I dont think it's a bad idea at all and if implemented correctly, could add more incentive for players to explore. Make it so the major cities and NW airfield can only be entered for a long time if a gas mask is on. Adding the ability to find filters for masks, better masks (last longer) would be awesome too.

If nearly every house in Israel has a gas mask, I don't see why it wouldn't be plausible for them to be common in Chernarus.

No thank you' date=' bored of people suggesting ways to make the game even harder. What we need is suggestions to make the game even [i']better.

and how would you do this? I assume you just sit in towns and shoot random people like a COD player. There needs to be more lonewolf survivor gameplay, I'm tired of just shooting people all day. Make it hard.. seriously the game is SO easy, how to win: spin 360 degrees and watch for nametags, see nametag then fire CZ shot at them and take their shit. Repeat.

...what are you even talking about? :-/

I guess you can't read :idea:

>Large group of zombies chasing me

>Run away

>Radiation

>Turn back to die to zombies/run into radiation

>Dead anyway

You're getting really quite aggressive to disagreement to your idea, this isn't the best idea for the game at this point and temperature is already giving some of a hard time with the "STAY IN A BUILDING" response not giving the feel of a good game. Buildings are usually small and dull. I don't want to stare about it for long periods of time and especially as some zombies can see through walls that makes matters even more of a pain.

Temperature also hardly rises at all when in shelter, so...

This mod is supposed to give some feeling of realism or real world reference which is why we have hunger, thirst, temperature and so on.

If you're going to say a good few nuclear weapons went off on this island you would not be able to inhabit this place at all. The radiation would make land infertile, the food would not be safe to it and overall you wouldn't be safe on the island at all because you'd die from it. Blood transfusions aren't a good solution to radiation sickness either because

A) They're already rare enough

B) It relies on other players which you can't in most cases

Another problem is that how can i know the direction of the radiation? If I was just fiddling with my settings and suddenly there was radiation; which way do I run because I could just be running into the bloody cloud.

If the counter shows the direction "RUN LEFT" then what if I actually can't move in that direction due to a fence, wall or the fact I may be in a cramped building.

Suggestions like these make the game harder in sense of, that someone already pointed out, artificial difficulty. You keep looking for things to AVOID rather than to TACKLE. Sure I can log on this game and imagine if we implented all of these ideas to avoid:

Radiation, Military attacks, Forest Fires, Zombie infection, Packs of Bears + Wolves roaming.

While these ideas do SOUND good and interesting. Imagine having them all, you log in your already bombarded with the worry that you're going to die in a few seconds.

I can't really tackle radiation, I can't really tackle a forest fire, I can't tackle infection to some extent because medical supplies are already scarce and I can't really tackle a bloody pack of bears or wolves because it's hard enough to deal with large amounts of zombies.

All these suggestions lead to is: run, run, run, run, run.

>Large group of zombies chasing me

>Run away

>Radiation

>Turn back to die to zombies/run into radiation

>Dead anyway

You're getting really quite aggressive to disagreement to your idea' date=' this isn't the best idea for the game at this point and temperature is already giving some of a hard time with the "STAY IN A BUILDING" response not giving the feel of a good game. Buildings are usually small and dull. I don't want to stare about it for long periods of time and especially as some zombies can see through walls that makes matters even more of a pain.

Temperature also hardly rises at all when in shelter, so...

This mod is supposed to give some feeling of realism or real world reference which is why we have hunger, thirst, temperature and so on.

If you're going to say a good few nuclear weapons went off on this island you would not be able to inhabit this place at all. The radiation would make land infertile, the food would not be safe to it and overall you wouldn't be safe on the island at all because you'd die from it. Blood transfusions aren't a good solution to radiation sickness either because

A) They're already rare enough

B) It relies on other players which you can't in most cases

Another problem is that how can i know the direction of the radiation? If I was just fiddling with my settings and suddenly there was radiation; which way do I run because I could just be running into the bloody cloud.

If the counter shows the direction "RUN LEFT" then what if I actually can't move in that direction due to a fence, wall or the fact I may be in a cramped building.

Suggestions like these make the game harder in sense of, that someone already pointed out, artificial difficulty. You keep looking for things to AVOID rather than to TACKLE. Sure I can log on this game and imagine if we implented all of these ideas to avoid:

Radiation, Military attacks, Forest Fires, Zombie infection, Packs of Bears + Wolves roaming.

While these ideas do SOUND good and interesting. Imagine having them all, you log in your already bombarded with the worry that you're going to die in a few seconds.

I can't really tackle radiation, I can't really tackle a forest fire, I can't tackle infection to some extent because medical supplies are already scarce and I can't really tackle a bloody pack of bears or wolves because it's hard enough to deal with large amounts of zombies.

All these suggestions lead to is: run, run, run, run, run.

[/quote']

But a good few nuclear weapons DID go off in Chernarus so this is realistic and inline with the armaverse.

Just FYI, I'm currently far, far north, in the middle of no where. I've killed 300 zombies, only shot one player that suprised me, not even seen anyone else as I try and avoid them.

Your fact are wrong, you're statement made no sense at all as it was not relevent to my comment nor the discussion in hand.

Oh and giving me negative rep calling me a dumbass and dumb for simply not seeing how your illogical statement made any coherent sense? *golfclap* Well done.

I think it's time to remind people to be serious and civil here before it gets out of hand.

He means that anyone can just look around and see nametags, aim their gun at them and fire away pure easily. (Which on veteran is impossible due to nametags off.)

You guys know rep means nothing at all unless you're ego is important to you?

Just FYI, I'm currently far, far north, in the middle of no where. I've killed 300 zombies, only shot one player that suprised me, not even seen anyone else as I try and avoid them.

Your fact are wrong, you're statement made no sense at all as it was not relevent to my comment nor the discussion in hand.

Oh and giving me negative rep calling me a dumbass and dumb for simply not seeing how your illogical statement made any coherent sense? *golfclap* Well done.

Thanks for sharing, since when did I declare anything I said a fact. It was relavent you're just trying to act cheaky and while doing so are acting like a bitch.