I had said that I would kill anyone for their beans. However, when the time came, I chose a different path.

I have killed one bandit. That was easy, however this was... Different.

It's early, roughly 1000 hours. I span the scenery, the air is thick with death. The animated remains of our brothers are wandering the ghost towns in search of those immune to the infection. I had to come here for water, otherwise I would not be here. I would rather be anywhere else but here, the stench of death floods my senses and clouds my mind. Why do I even fight to survive? I have seen horrible things since the breakout. There is no hope, no compassion, no love.

Then I see him, a man wearing black. He has not seen me yet, I drop to the ground and observe. Just at that moment I hear one of them. I whip my head around and see it, no more than 3 feet in front of me he crawls past. "Not a sound, don't even breath" commands my instinct. The walker passes, and my body relaxes.

Gone unnoticed, by human and the others, I climb to my feet and hug the wall. I will sneak up on my new company. Just as I do, the man whips around and levels his revolver on my head. This is it.

Seconds feel like hours in this moment of uncertainty. I will kill this man. My finger begins to squeeze the trigger as my body braces for impact. I am steady and true, ready to fire... I don't. Something inside me has fought it's way to the surface, I can not pull this trigger. Suddenly, I am flooded with emotion, my heart fills my mind with questions of intent.

"Why sacrifice whats left of our humanity to merely exist in a dead world." I lower my pistol, and so does the man in black.

Humanity is worth surviving for. Once that is gone, we are all dead.