Sign in to follow this  
irl-calibre

best Beta version to use?

So I see some servers running different Beta versions Of A2 to play Dayz with, & i'm just wondering whats the best version to use as there seems to be quite a few different Beta versions to choose from..

I always use the latest one. The latest one has an updated Intel TBB4 memory allocator included.

You can put:

-malloc=tbb4malloc_bi

In the shortcut to activate it.

EDIT: Latest beta might just fix Direct Chat.

[93017] Fixed: LOD blending not working reliably

[92956] Fixed: Sound: Music often stop playing after window focus is lost and regained

[92925] Fixed: switching backpack with dead unit in MP

[92821] Fixed: Joining unit in the vehicle to a different side group did not change the perceived side of the unit.

[92781] Fixed: SelectPlayer makes direct communication unreliable

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134709-ARMA-2-OA-beta-build-93040-%281-60-MP-compatible-build-post-1-60-release%29

Just wanted to point out that it's unnecessary to specify the TBB4 allocation flag when using a build above 1.60.87645.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Custom_Memory_Allocator

Default allocator used by engine after build 1.60.87645 is based on Intel TBB 4 (see details about tbb4malloc_bi below)

But yes, it looks like the latest one fixes VON for direct chat. I loaded up on our server and I am crossing my fingers. :)

As a guide to new players of Arma2, my usual experience with beta patches has been about 90% positive, 10% negative. Occasionally a patch will cause some regression in issues unrelated to an intended fix. Most of the time this is not the case due to BI internally testing builds before public beta release. Best idea is to read user responses to a patch on the BI Forums before installing, major issues usually get found out quickly.

If you carefully follow a beta patch install guide, regressing to a previous beta is never an issue! I even save installers for a few days just to make sure the new patch works out.