TheMachine

Why do regular/recruit servers exist?

Should regular servers exist?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Should regular servers exist?

• Yes
    • No

I guess you are upset with the people looting on the easier servers. Why not make it so loot found in a recruit/regular server will only be compatible on recruit/regular servers.

"Let's split the community up instead of making part of it uncomfortable for a little while while they adjust!"

• Like 1

Funny to see how many people vote "yes" and how few come and argue about why stuff like nametags should exist for DayZ...

These servers should not exist, they don't fit in with the hardcore nature of DayZ at all.

On recruit servers you can see zombies through walls etc, it's a built in wall hack.

Regular servers have nametags, wtf?

The ONLY options server owners should have are 3rd person and crosshair.

i think the name highlight is okay. it helps in identifying friendlies, and tracking enemies. would prefer that it stays. the aimbot thing...is kind of weird. i don't pay attention to it, though. wouldn't care if that was gone or not. i think crosshairs and third person should be always enabled. it's retarded when they are disabled. "blahblahblah realism blah blah" since when is this game realistic? come on, leave that in. in real life, you can't see how hungry you are. or how thirsty you are.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

I love playing on servers without third-person enabled.

- It drastically cuts down on player-killer trolls, because such players are invariably deluded wimps that only have the courage to camp on roofs prone in third-person so they're still able to look for people to shoot below without exposing themselves.

- In first-person you can't magically look above weeds to spot everything around your character, so you don't even have to bother with using your ears. Crawling through zed-infested villages in day or night is faaaaaaar more intense an experience when you can't exploit third-person-view.

- using freelook fluidly and well becomes an even more crucial gameplay skill, a unique feature in ARMA/DayZ as far as other shooters go, and thus should be emphasized to the maximum

I could go on.

Point is, it's utterly silly to complain about something as trivial as nametags supposedly ruining DayZ and then turn around and join a third-person server. Which is exactly what we all know several of you in this thread are doing.

Edited by cogwheel
  • Like 1

Firstly, this isn't about third person which I think should remain (vet servers have that).

Nor is it about left4dead.

It's about continuity in DayZ play options.

Simply saying, "If you don't like those servers don't play them" is such a cop out answer.

Those servers shouldn't exist AT ALL, so no one should be allowed to play them, especially seeing as server hoping is so easy.

Again, wants don't enter into it, DayZ should be as hard as the engine allows it to be.

It really isn't a cop out answer. Believe it or not but people enjoy playing on Recruit and Regular. Not everyone likes it being so realistic. If you don't like it then maybe the better option is keeping Veteran loot on Veteran servers. Simple as that. Stop trying to force others to play it at the highest difficult (I personally don't mind playing Vet servers).

I love playing on servers without third-person enabled. It drastically cuts down on player-killer trolls, because such players are invariably deluded wimps that only have the courage to camp on roofs prone in third-person so they're still able to look for people to shoot.

don't play that server. simple.

These servers should not exist, they don't fit in with the hardcore nature of DayZ at all.

On recruit servers you can see zombies through walls etc, it's a built in wall hack.

Regular servers have nametags, wtf?

The ONLY options server owners should have are 3rd person and crosshair.

Why do you care how other people want to enjoy the mod?

I don't care, I'm playing on veteran servers and I am not bothered with the option being there. You shouldn't be either.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with third person, spatial awareness in games like this is very poor and although it's not 'realistic', it's somewhat necessary.

I won't shed too many tears if it goes, but if it stays I'm fine with that.

Nametags and all the other aspects of regular servers needs to go though.

i think the name highlight is okay. it helps in identifying friendlies, and tracking enemies. would prefer that it stays. the aimbot thing...is kind of weird. i don't pay attention to it, though. wouldn't care if that was gone or not. i think crosshairs and third person should be always enabled. it's retarded when they are disabled. "blahblahblah realism blah blah" since when is this game realistic? come on, leave that in. in real life, you can't see how hungry you are. or how thirsty you are.

Why the hell should you have help in tracking enemies? Why should you know they are somewhere if you can't even see them? I agree with the identifying friendlies problem, but that's not a decent solution to it. I have a few ideas (see sig), but it should all come down to extensive character customization when the game goes standalone. In real life you can FEEL how hungry you are and you can FEEL how thirsty you are. If you have some more realistic Idea on how to know if you are hungry or thirsty without visual info, please enlighten us. Also, care to explain what's so retarded about 1st person? Lots of games use it with great success. I see no reason for anyone to use the crosshair whatsoever, but whatever...

• Like 2

Why do you care how other people want to enjoy the mod?

I don't care, I'm playing on veteran servers and I am not bothered with the option being there. You shouldn't be either.

Fractured community.

Definately takes away from the game imo. I'd prefer that most servers didn't have crosshair and name tags

There's nothing wrong with third person, spatial awareness in games like this is very poor and although it's not 'realistic', it's somewhat necessary.

I won't shed too many tears if it goes, but if it stays I'm fine with that.

Nametags and all the other aspects of regular servers needs to go though.

Fractured community.

Good logic. Lets get rid of all Veteran servers and only have regular servers then. According to the poll that is what looks like people want. Lol!

I highly doubt this is what is "fracturing" the community.

Not to be rude but I don't see how this effects you and that your personal play style may not be another persons play style. We are all entitled to play the game the way we want and some wish to play on veteran servers, others may wish to play on normal servers, and some may play on recruit servers if they wish.

The only valid argument against having different servers with different difficulty is looting on easier servers and jumping onto far more difficult servers. A fix could be to generate a character for each level of difficulty meaning on recruit servers you have one character, regular another, and veteran servers have a separate character for your account.

Those who say some things are not realistic but there should be some flexibility on how the game is played so a larger playerbase can be established.

Edited by The True Nova

Why the hell should you have help in tracking enemies? Why should you know they are somewhere if you can't even see them? I agree with the identifying friendlies problem, but that's not a decent solution to it. I have a few ideas (see sig), but it should all come down to extensive character customization when the game goes standalone. In real life you can FEEL how hungry you are and you can FEEL how thirsty you are. If you have some more realistic Idea on how to know if you are hungry or thirsty without visual info, please enlighten us. Also, care to explain what's so retarded about 1st person? Lots of games use it with great success. I see no reason for anyone to use the crosshair whatsoever, but whatever...

i don't know why, but the first person in this game is weird. i think it's the FOV (which i know you can change) or the way you run, or something. i don't know. first person in this game is downright weird. yes, i use first person to shoot things, but i always run around in third person. the FOV here is much better. as for the hunger/thirst thing, i know there isn't really another way to show it, but that isn't the point. i like your idea of only identifying friendlies, but i don't know how that could be implemented. because in real life, if you look at someone you know, you already know their name. not the same for randoms. if this were implemented versus having everyone being shown, then that would be a-ok with me :thumbsup:

don't play that server. simple.

So every server with third-person enabled, then. If you're making a point here... well, you're not making a point here, actually.

To reiterate the point for the third time:

A.) Continue to permit myriad server-side options to tailor DayZ's challenge, easy or hard, and pick what you like without complaint.

B.) Remove ALL such advantageous settings -- THIRD PERSON VERY EXTREMELY INCLUDED -- because arguing to remove some but allowing others is a gross double-standard. Or in other words, you can't have your cake and it eat it, too.

These are the only two logically sound stances here. Every other stance is bogus. Anyone complaining about nametags and Regular difficulty but still voting for third-person and crosshairs and such to be an option is blithely parroting a double-standard.

Edited by cogwheel

So every server with third-person enabled, then. If you're making a point here... well, you're not making a point here, actually.

don't use it. or, switch to a server with it disabled. why is that difficult? i'm not making a point, i'm just saying, if you don't like it, don't use it.

to people who say "WELL IT DOESN"T AFFECT U IF U DONT PLAY ON THOSE SERVERS!!!"

Every (official) server is connected by the hive. Player A on Server A that camps on a roof in third person and only shoots people when they aren't looking in his direction can gain equipment that he wouldn't have been able to as easily on Server B, which doesn't allow that shit. He can then go to Server B with his ill-gotten gains and affect that server. Or maybe Player A is camping in a pine tree on Server A, waiting for a name tag to pop up so he can pop out and shoot, same thing. What he did could never happen on Server B, but he can still affect players on Server B with his exploited gains.

Get rid of 3rd person, crosshairs, and nametags, let unofficial servers roll with those, but keep them off the main hive where players can exploit them to gain things they never could have otherwise.

I love playing on servers without third-person enabled.

- It drastically cuts down on player-killer trolls, because such players are invariably deluded wimps that only have the courage to camp on roofs prone in third-person so they're still able to look for people to shoot below without exposing themselves.

- In first-person you can't magically look above weeds to spot everything around your character, so you don't even have to bother with using your ears. Crawling through zed-infested villages in day or night is faaaaaaar more intense an experience when you can't exploit third-person-view.

- using freelook fluidly and well becomes an even more crucial gameplay skill, a unique feature in ARMA/DayZ as far as other shooters go, and thus should be emphasized to the maximum

I could go on.

Point is, it's utterly silly to complain about something as trivial as nametags supposedly ruining DayZ and then turn around and join a third-person server. Which is exactly what we all know several of you in this thread are doing.

I agree with what you say about the 3rd person view (I usually play in US 10 Chicago, no 3rd person there), but nametags are not "something trivial". It gives you the distance of the target, something crucial for snipers who should only know it by using range finders and legit methods like the mil-dot scope and SVD's. I don't think most people understand how bullet drop affect aiming in this game... Also, it gives your position away, it doesn't matters if you are inside a bush with a ghillie suit, one movement of the mouse and someone might "accidentally" discover you are there and get your name + distance as a bonus... Nametags are just as bad as 3rd person view if not worst (def worst imo). I bet less tears will be shed if nametags goes than if 3rd person does tho.

Edited by Panque
  • Like 1

I enjoy using 3rd person and only use first person when shooting a gun because it feels rather awkward running around in first person. Although I do agree name tags should be removed but the cross hairs are fairly inaccurate at longer distances so I don't see why they would be removed.

Then again, I don't use crosshairs so scratch what I just said about them.

Edited by The True Nova

i don't know why, but the first person in this game is weird. i think it's the FOV (which i know you can change) or the way you run, or something. i don't know. first person in this game is downright weird. yes, i use first person to shoot things, but i always run around in third person. the FOV here is much better.

It's probably that you haven't set head-bob to zero. DayZ's FOV is no different from most other shooters. The only thing weird about ARMA/DayZ in first-person in regard to other shooters is 1.) extreme headbob unless you tone it down in the game options 2.) a default mouse smoothing value of 30, which is ridiculous.

Imo we should have this :

1. 3 difficulty settings, being:

- Recuit (nametags, 3rd person, etc etc )

- Advanced ( all disabled except for 3rd person )

- Hardcore ( all disabled )

2. Character creation allowing 1 character on each difficulty setting.

3. Characters can't move between difficulty settings at all ( so no moving around gear from Recruits to Hardcore )

Then nobody needs to be worried about anything.

People that get their first experience can go play recruit and move up as they please.

And yes, there will be guys overgeared in Recruit killing of new spawns, but thats something that goes with the game.(Maybe there could be a spawnprotection implemented on Recruit servers, that protect spawning players from PK's for the first 5-10 minutes)

Meh thats just my 2 cents.

Edited by Insaner

to people who say "WELL IT DOESN"T AFFECT U IF U DONT PLAY ON THOSE SERVERS!!!"

Every (official) server is connected by the hive. Player A on Server A that camps on a roof in third person and only shoots people when they aren't looking in his direction can gain equipment that he wouldn't have been able to as easily on Server B, which doesn't allow that shit. He can then go to Server B with his ill-gotten gains and affect that server. Or maybe Player A is camping in a pine tree on Server A, waiting for a name tag to pop up so he can pop out and shoot, same thing. What he did could never happen on Server B, but he can still affect players on Server B with his exploited gains.

Get rid of 3rd person, crosshairs, and nametags, let unofficial servers roll with those, but keep them off the main hive where players can exploit them to gain things they never could have otherwise.

You're arguing that using 3rd person, using crosshairs, and having the ability to see nametags is something that can be "exploited." They are not exploits. If they were exploits, then Rocket would simply blacklist all of the servers that utilize them.

Let's go back to your scenario. Player A, who plays on Server A, which allows 3rd person, crosshairs, and nametags, will become used to those crutches (because in the end, that's what they are - crutches that allow players to hobble along and progress further in the game without improving their various survival skills.) Therefore, when Player A moves to Server B, which does NOT have said crutches, he will not be used to actually having to peek over roofs to see his targets, nor will he know how to actually use that scope on his AS50 in close-quarters combat. Therefore, the awesome gear that Player A acquired on Regular servers will fall into the hands of Veteran players such as you and I, simply because Player A is incompetent and relies on crutches that were no longer at his disposal.

I don't see the problem here!

Will Rocket eventually force all servers to align themselves to a particular ruleset? Yes, most likely. However, I do not understand why players who are used to the Veteran ruleset are complaining about the Regular servers. It's illogical to me, and I need somebody to explain it to me in further detail.

• Like 1

don't use it. or, switch to a server with it disabled. why is that difficult? i'm not making a point, i'm just saying, if you don't like it, don't use it.

You shouldn't reply to a post if you only barely scan it and respond to a single sentence or two without bothering to note the context and larger point of the entire post. You clearly haven't understood the overall point that first post of mine here clearly made.

Edited by cogwheel

It's probably that you haven't set head-bob to zero. DayZ's FOV is no different from most other shooters. The only thing weird about ARMA/DayZ in first-person in regard to other shooters is 1.) extreme headbob unless you tone it down in the game options 2.) a default mouse smoothing value of 30, which is ridiculous.

i have the mouse smoothing down to 0, because that's a silly setting to have on. as for head bob, i have head bob on max. why? to me, it seems like it makes first person better. more realistic camera movements. maybe i'll tone that down.

Edited by omgwtfbbq