Sign in to follow this  
Rickets

Backpacks are the only loot

Date/Time: 7/27/12 and 7/28/12

What happened: The only loot spawning are backpacks. Nothing else is spawning as loot, not even trash such as tin cans. It seems that I can fix this by changing servers but that is tedious and time consuming. I don't know if it's a server problem or something, because I only join servers that have less than 100 ping for better gameplay and they are always in the U.S., where I live.

Everything else is fine. The server isn't laggy, I can loot zombies or dead players just fine but the spawning loot is just backpacks. And I have waited for a considerable amount of time, up to an hour without logging out just to see if it fixed itself.

Where you were: The major cities, such as Cherno and Elektro. At first I thought someone had just came into the building I was in and looted everything but then I realized that every building had either no loot or an ALICE pack or some other type of backpack. And you know something is wrong when the only loot in the Cherno supermarket is a coyote pack and an ALICE.

What you were doing: Going around buildings looking for weapons and loot.

*Current installed version: I always have my six launcher and dayz up to date, so the most recent one.

*Server(s) you were on: Various U.S. servers, I can't recall exactly which ones since this was over a 2 day period and I get off and on.

Is this just a case of a laggy server that I can only fix by joining other ones or is it something more serious? I've tried to look around to see if there is another case of a problem like this but I haven't came up with anything.

I've noticed this type of issue either just as I load in while say... in a general store, and the only thing in it is backpacks and tents, or on specific servers. One server was like this, and it was terribly laggy, so I'm guessing it could be both a server side 'glitch', or a way of limiting loot hopping. I've seen some servers, when you load in, the loot is there, or spawns in quickly, while others do something like this...

It would be nice to know exactly how loot is supposed to work, in terms of spawning, like at heli crashes, the loot somestimes doesn't exist, but if you just stay there 5 minutes, something appears every 30 seconds. Doesn't happen like that anywhere else...

I'm fairly certain loot only spawns in a location once a player has come within a certain range. If they spawn within that range, then the loot won't spawn until they move through that threshold. However, if another player has crossed through that threshold during that session (or within a certain time) there will be loot there. Usually this will only be leftover loot that the previous player hadn't taken though.

This is just a theory of course, but I'm fairly certain this is how it works.

Nevermind sorry I posted in the wrong thread

Edited by Sulfix

Yep same happened to me at the NWA. And idk if it was the same thing but I lost everything in my inventory which I was pretty pissed about because I had an M14...

May have logged into a hacked server.

I had my inventory cleared(both gun slots, backpack slot, and all equipment slots) after logging into a server that had a hacker rampaging around on it.

I'm actually still on that character though, regeared him at Pusto market and deerstand

I'm fairly certain loot only spawns in a location once a player has come within a certain range. If they spawn within that range, then the loot won't spawn until they move through that threshold. However, if another player has crossed through that threshold during that session (or within a certain time) there will be loot there. Usually this will only be leftover loot that the previous player hadn't taken though.

This is just a theory of course, but I'm fairly certain this is how it works.

It is how it works, but I don't see how what you're saying pertains to only backpacks being found....

It is how it works, but I don't see how what you're saying pertains to only backpacks being found....

That was more a reply to Xerati

But I'm thinking maybe the backpacks were left and are preventing any other loot from spawning.

That or there is a glitch I've seen on a few servers where loot doesn't spawn period, and only loot that was left from the last spawn is still around.

After a while you couldn't even find tin cans on those servers, could be the same thing except nobody wants the backpacks.