Sign in to follow this  
Halsfield

FPS Coincidence?

After seeing a few other people with similar fps problems and fantastic computers I think I may have found a possible cause.

In an earlier patch they made a change that was to fix a problem where the game wasn't detecting the proper amount of memory for video cards with more than 512mb. Setting your video memory option in game to default was supposed to fix this. However, I think in a recent patch they may have accidentally undone this change or overwrote it or who knows what. This bug was only for windows 7 x64 version users. Currently when I go into the in-game settings changing my vid memory options does nothing. It can be high , default, or low and it changes my FPS by absolutely zero. So I think this bug is still in effect and causing FPS problems for a lot of us.

This would explain why some people with worse computers get more FPS (because their computers are reading their full vid memory instead of 1/2 or less), why people that were fine before the patch are now seeing single digit FPS numbers where before they were fine(I noticed many of them have win 7 and 1gb+ vid cards which this bug was supposed to effect), and some of the other FPS problems that I see on this forum constantly.

Maybe Rocket or someone familiar with the system can see this and confirm/deny or at the very least double check it.

I have windows 7 and a video card with 1gb of mem and my FPS went down to single digits from 40+ on ALL servers with some of the recent patches and the actual Arma II official 1.6.2 patch. I was running everything on high or very high settings beforehand. Now I can set everything to low (with a dual core i3 CPU, ie not the best of the best) which is supposed to let the CPU help out more and it actually increases my FPS (up to about 20-25 in normal circumstances).

Edit: Still trying to find a program to determine CPU/GPU load to confirm my theory, but I do know my GPU fans were going crazy before this FPS dip, and now they are very quiet even when ingame in towns where it should be under a decent load.

Edited by Halsfield

Make an account so I could vouch.

I use a radeon hd 5770, with a gb of video memory. I don't feel like screenie and uploading, so you'll have to take my work for it.

Staring at a static scene it's 49 or 48 fps with default, and 55 with high, which should be 1024 mb of video memory. Give it a shot, this guy has found something.

I'm checking my GPU with Process Explorer. I always get 20FPS in cherno, terrible. 6870 and 3.8GHZ 8core.

Maybe you're right, my GPU dedicated memory was only ever 438MB full and GPU system memory was 268MB full on "default". When setting video memory in ArmA to "very high" it only uses 78MB, though.

Edited by Naka

I get like 15-20 fps in cherno too with my 5770, although I play on low and I even close windowsexplorer,set high priority,run game booster,and I also tried with Ramdisk. Nothing of all that really helped much,I still get terrible fps in cities.