Sign in to follow this  
thoxon

Backpacks are for Carebears

Has anyone tried to survive without using a backpack? I'm talking like ditching your pack on the beach as soon as you spawn. Interested to see how long people managed to survive. I was thinking about trying it myself.

Doesn't seem it would be too much of a challenge. Only trouble would be food/drink and med supplies.

If you were working solo and started getting low on blood, you would have to drop a whole bunch of supplies AT THE ANIMAL, go cook the meat, eat it, and come back to the animal to get your stuff. That's the main challenge I can see.

i lost a coyote bp in the glitches of 1.7.2 (put on a camo lost everything except my toolbelt)

as my character was on 18 days or so and i still had my toobelt, i kept playing.

there is a little fun in playing without a bp, you are constantly on the move for water, conservation is key.

and with no basis in fact, my opinion is more people will leave you alone, especially if you not brandishing some high quality primary.

A friend of mine plays without using his backpack most of the time. By that, I mean he just forgets he has one and doesn't put stuff in it. I might have to try this at some point though. Could make the game more interesting.

Edit:

sounds fun, maybe add in the ability to shoot yourself in the foot to make it extra hardcore...

Jump off a building(or stand near a tree/rock/door/anything) and break your legs. Super hardcore mode activate!

Edited by Sandwichx

It's all fun and games till you want to repair a vehicle. Good luck doing that with no backpack.

I feel like if you're trying to play with no backpack, you're not going to be trying to get a car either.

If you were working solo and started getting low on blood, you would have to drop a whole bunch of supplies AT THE ANIMAL, go cook the meat, eat it, and come back to the animal to get your stuff. That's the main challenge I can see.

Dont be silly, store your gear in the dead animal while you eat all it's lovely steaks.

Job done.

I feel like if you're trying to play with no backpack, you're not going to be trying to get a car either.

OK so may as well try not to get a weapon, or bandages, or tools. I'm sure there will be tons of stuff for the backpack-less survivor to do with his time....

Sure we can all remove our backpacks and sit in the woods forever, that's hardly a challenge ;p

OK so may as well try not to get a weapon, or bandages, or tools. I'm sure there will be tons of stuff for the backpack-less survivor to do with his time....

Sure we can all remove our backpacks and sit in the woods forever, that's hardly a challenge ;p

The point is that you are giving yourself a handicap to make the game harder and more interesting for yourself. Like how I usually run with just a hatchet and a pistol/revolver. It makes it more interesting. Doesn't mean I'm going to play the game any differently other than that.

Edited by Sandwichx

The point is that you are giving yourself a handicap to make the game harder and more interesting for yourself. Like how I usually run with just a hatchet and a pistol/revolver. It makes it more interesting. Doesn't mean I'm going to play the game any differently other than that.

I'm all for self imposed handicaps, but if it's with a mind to limit the amount of content you're exposed to, it's a little bit silly in my eyes.

But each to their own I guess.

I'm all for self imposed handicaps, but if it's with a mind to limit the amount of content you're exposed to, it's a little bit silly in my eyes.

But each to their own I guess.

I can understand that. But that's why you switch your handicap every few lives.

I played my first week Of dayz without a backpack because I didn't know how to use it. It's a little annoying but not impossible

I run around with a hatchet and no backpack most of the time since my life expectancy is about 3-4hrs tops. i'll be lucky if i live longer than that,,,