Sign in to follow this  
Bambi (DayZ)

Possible admin abuse -US 273- (Video)

Server: US 273

Time: About 01:00 am (UTC+2 / Germany) 27.07.2012

We found a pretty big camp that was "guarded" by only one guy. Since we usually play the bandit way, we killed him and started to check for gear. We decided to steal one URAL-Truck and burn the place to the ground.

When suddenly the server went down...

Coincidence? Admin abuse? I have no idea but it looks kinda strange to me.

Edit: As you can see in the video the cars start to simply disapear instead of turning into burning wreck.

The video starts about 1 minute after i shot the guy.

http://youtu.be/f1givnbqXs0

Edited by Bambi
  • Like 1

I don't think there's enough evidence to acuse admin abuse here. Heck, we don't even know if you killed an admin or not. People just love to gather cars and tents in one place in this game. Also, I think atm cars and stuff always dissapear instead of turning into wrecks when you destroy them. Once had a bus guarded by a mate but zombies destroyed it, it just dissapeared.

I agree, it looks a slight bit strange and it could've been an admin build place but server crashes aren't uncommon in this mod atm so I have to believe it's Coincidence.

• Like 1

Yes i agree, its hard to tell. Thats why i wrote "possible" in the title.

It would be nice if a dev could investigate such situations, but i guess they have enough work on their ass with the development of the game.

I just think that admin abuse is a very big problem, since in my opinion an admin has a certain resposebility to the players on their server.

And all this bullshit about "I pay, so i make the rules" is nonsense. Just because you pay does not give you the right to play unfair.

I can personally say that this was admin abuse, I am contacts with the admin on skype, I was playing on this server when this happened and he has had it locked with about 5 people since. I asked him if it would be up soon and he replied that moving 50 tents and 9 cars takes awhile. He also claims that you guys are "hackers" and teleported to their camp. IDK if thats true or not, but I know that this was an admin locking the server to move his camp.

• Like 2

Hackers... well actually we saw one guy at a treeline far north west of the map. So we got curious about what he is possibly doing there and checked out the surroundings, where we spottet him. We sneaked up on a hill and found the camp, cralled around it when suddenly the guy (corps visible in the video) was standing before me.

The camp was actually not well hidden, we check the border areas regularly for stuff like this.

So we have a nice case of admin abuse here... its sad that you guys cant stand to lose. We played fair and you did not.

(I dont mean you "CantSeeDuringKnight" by that last sentence :lol: And thanks for your post! )

Edited by Bambi

Bambi, can you do us a favor and put up the video of how you got to the camp, assuming you were recording.

I do have a couple of minutes on tape, where we have been crawling around the camp (the guy is also still alive) but i had to stop the video for about 3 minutes due to performance issues.

There is no material of us actually getting to the camp though...i dont tape hours of running through a forrest that often.

But I will make a map with our route marked. I also guess teleporting should be easy to detect via logs (?), maybe a Dev could find some time to verify, that we are honest players.

Player names are: Bambi, Wuck, Expendable

• Like 1

Ok here is the map, its not 100% accurate, because we dont have a GPS, but should be close enough.

The whole thing starts at the location where the Firefight happened.

Expendable was scouting with a bike and ran into 2 guys, he got shot. Wuck and me where about 150 meters behind, at the treeline right hand side of the street. One guy escaped with the bike, i shot the other one. We waited for a while (spotted a third guy at the treeline west of our location) and decided to check for the URAL spawn after we made sure the "bike thief" was gone. Meanwhile Expendable made his way back to us from the beach. It took about one hour until we picked up Expendable again and decided to check the forrest where we found the camp.

The rest is on tape.

maplj.jpg

Edited by Bambi

after the first firefight with the two guys, we decided to wait there for a while. maybe the other guy would come back to loot our friend/his friend.

we looked around and i saw a name tag 500m from us to the west (name was laserbeak). we wondered about that, because so far to the west is nothing from interest. after expendable came back to us, we decided to have a look up those hills in the west.

Edited by Wuck
  • Like 1

Alright, so I've been talking to the admin and he is not to blame, he wasn't on the server at the time you were raiding it and got a call from the camp "guard" saying he was teleported to and you were hackers and to shutdown the server. Believing you were, with no proof otherwise, he shut it down. The camp guard is not at fault either because when you have a camp out in the middle of nowhere, your not expecting someone to come up on it, I would've thought it was hackers like most people would. Your fighting a losing battle going around and raiding peoples camps on the outskirts of maps, they are going to assume hackers teleported. Hackers are to blame here.

• Like 2

The camp guard is not at fault either because when you have a camp out in the middle of nowhere, your not expecting someone to come up on it

Not trying to offend here, but in my opinion that statement is simply wrong. First of all, places like where they put up the camp are not well hidden. We found a couple of camps in places like this before. Also Aaron, the "guard" was shooting near the camp (probably hunting animals) which also gives away the position and that other guy Wuck wrote about. So if this guys claim to have a super well hidden camp that can only be found due to hacking, they should try not to play like clowns and giving the rest of the server pointers of where they hide.

Also to be honest, just because other people hack (not us) does not give you the right to cheat aswell. Admin abuse like in this case is nothing more/better than cheating and should be sanctioned.

Just another thing that came to my mind.... If we where teleporting to the camp, as Aaron assumed, why the hell should i teleport right infront of him in prone position? Instead of a couple hundred meters away to kill him from safe distance?

Learn to lose! And don´t try to compensate your own failure with "cheating". (That pretty much goes out to all Admin abusing [Please insert sophomoric genitalia reference here])

Ok listen, admins are allowed to lock their servers its not cheating. So he can lock the server if a hacker comes along. Still no proof of if your a hacker or not. So stop calling "admin abuse" before you know the whole story. You would do the same thing in this position.

Ok listen, admins are allowed to lock their servers its not cheating. So he can lock the server if a hacker comes along. Still no proof of if your a hacker or not. So stop calling "admin abuse" before you know the whole story. You would do the same thing in this position.

Dude, you said that they locked the server because they "assumed" we have been cheating. Actually going on from that point of view and according to your last post, they could simply "assume" its hacking every single time someone finds their camp and lock the server down to move all the stuff... Thats pretty pathetic to be honest.

Lately people seem to think when they are in the middle of no where that they are safe. This is not the case. Recently all of my kills have been by chance running into camps in the middle of the woods. It really isn't hard. "Where would I put a camp?" Then head to those locations, you're bound to eventually find a camp and maybe even people there. Not every random occurrence is a teleporter.

I use to think the map was huge, but it really is quite small.

Edited by Bizmarhk
  • Like 2

Well, as I said before, if they do it everytime one guy is pissed cause he got shot and yells cheater...then it is abuse.

And it pretty much looks like it, at least thats my opinion.

Ok listen, admins are allowed to lock their servers its not cheating

Not when the only crime is a player looting their stuff.

but its not admin abuse.

Incorrect. These kind of admins are what this subforum was made for.

Edited by Yurik
  • Like 1

Correct locking a server for an extended period of time outside of maintence IE updating the server resetting it and letting it sit for a moment or two before opening it is not permitted Maintence does NOT include moving your camp from one place to another.

• Like 2

The thing is, it is admin abuse. The average player would have had to just suck it up and lose their tents/vehicles/gear if they had been attacked by hackers (not that there is any evidence they were hackers), they don't get some magical direct line to the admin with free restarts whenever they get killed or their base found, but since this was an admin's camp, they get to keep their stuff and restart the server to get their vehicles back... Then on top of that abuse, they get to lock the server to move their stuff? lol... Ridiculous.

• Like 2

The thing is, it is admin abuse. The average player would have had to just suck it up and lose their tents/vehicles/gear if they had been attacked by hackers (not that there is any evidence they were hackers), they don't get some magical direct line to the admin with free restarts whenever they get killed or their base found, but since this was an admin's camp, they get to keep their stuff and restart the server to get their vehicles back... Then on top of that abuse, they get to lock the server to move their stuff? lol... Ridiculous.

Indeed and if they were hackers even if they moved their stuff they could easily find it again.

Edited by Chaossound

The thing that bugs me the most is that neither the responsible Server-Admin, nor the player who was guarding the camp are seemingly willing to participate in this discussion.

It also looks like most Admins get away without any punishment for abusive actions like this.

I hope this will change once the games development is at a higher grade.

I lose count of the stuff we have lost, the vehicles the camps etc etc the deaths by bugs hackers and legitimate players.

Even been at our camp storing stuff when one of the team got sniped, we hunted for that player/s for 15 minute and another team mate went down, I nearly went down after they got behind me, it was only my good fortune that my teammate happened to chance upon them sneaking up on me. It felt really suspicious like they had esp, but they could of just outplayed us, and if we all died we,d accept the lose of our gear. And if we was 100%!it was hacker we,d try and identify this player and not shut the server down right away to save our shit as there are other players in the game.

That's camp was crazy so many vehicles in one place and dozens of tents, face it it will be found you will lose it, and when I am back I,m going to hunt them down :)

• Like 2

The thing that bugs me the most is that neither the responsible Server-Admin, nor the player who was guarding the camp are seemingly willing to participate in this discussion.

Hello Bambi,

I'm the owner of US273.

Firstly, I'd like to say one thing, I apologize.

What happened WAS wrong and I understand it is against the rules to do what we did.

That being said, I'd like to offer some clarification as to why we did it. (This does not justify what we did nor make it any better, just want to put you in our shoes)

So, we spend a week or two getting vehicles on our server, stock-piling resources, player-killing, etc... then one day I wake up, and get a call from one of my group members yelling at me that 'hackers are raiding our base, get on ASAP'

So, I, grudgingly, wake up and come to find that apparently a 'hacker teleported' to our base (that was the story at least), I suppose the guy you killed assumed it was a hacker because, according to him, he 'looked around thoroughly before heading up to base.' I suppose this may, or may not be correct. However, that was the story I heard, so I imeeditatley shut down the server, (we've had previous hacker issues, I.E. teleportation, mass-kill, and other issues on the server before) fearing that if we got on to try to stop it we would just be insta-killed or something of the sort.

So, in my shoes here is what I saw.

-Our entire base, getting up and leaving, to something that may or not be legit, everything we worked for about to be gone, because of (what I thought) was a group of guys that break the rules for their own enjoyment.

Now tell me, if you had the 'stop' button for the server (if you were in my shoes) would you not press that button?

Anyways, that's my side of the story.

I now know that you're not hackers and that you were indeed playing legit (at least I hope so, from reading this thread), and I do understand it was against the rules.

We have made a personal pact within our group to never do anything like this again. It was wrong. We apologize.

If you'd like to talk to me further my Skype name is Mattheyy2

Best Regards,

Matt

• Like 1