Sign in to follow this  
randalp@gmail.com

Possible solution for some lag issues (win7)

I had some weird lag, it would often show itself when i would scope or right mouse button zoom towards cities.

The game would slow down to a crawl for a few seconds, and the only solution i had at the time to temporarely fix it was by rebooting the game (flush command didnt do anything).

Today after some reading up on the arma 2 engine and various parameters you can use in the startup i came across the malloc startup parameter.

This parameter lets you select a memory allocator to be used by arma 2, there are quiet a few to choose from.

note: Windows 7 allocator seems to be quite good, and it may therefore make sense for some users to delete all custom allocators on Windows 7 or newer).

It is however not necessary to delete the other dll's to force arma 2 (OA) to use the default windows 7 allocator.

If you add -malloc=system to your dayz shortcut it will force it to use the default win 7 allocator.

This parameter has made the game virtually lag free for me no matter how busy or how big a city is, hope it helps others.

For reference my system specs:

i7-860 @ 3.6GHz

8GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 5970 @ 5870 speeds

Edited by Randal
  • Like 1

Thanks for this, im tryieng it right now and will edit my post with the result.

/edit

no fps boos in woods... still 50 fps with everything on low

specs : hd 5850 ; x4 965 4x,37ghz and 8gb ram on win 7

Edited by Kinami37

Thanks for this, im tryieng it right now and will edit my post with the result.

/edit

no fps boos in woods... still 50 fps with everything on low

specs : hd 5850 ; x4 965 4x,37ghz and 8gb ram on win 7

That's a reasonable frame rate to have considering your system. (anything over 30 is reasonable in DayZ)

Do you experience any lag at all? and if so where and what causes it to happen?

Well im using this start up options, and i can play on normal/high with 60fps in the woods where i was

-beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ;ca;maxMEM=2047;-winxp;-malloc=system;

Well im using this start up options, and i can play on normal/high with 60fps in the woods where i was

-beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ;ca;maxMEM=2047;-winxp;-malloc=system;

Remove the -winxp it might or might not cause improper use of the syste memory allocator.

I currently run with this:

-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -skipIntro "-mod=E:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;EXPANSION;ca;@DayZ" -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -malloc=system

Latest catalyst drivers and running all settings high (even AA) at about 80-90 fps

I'd say 60fps is reasonable, but you have not yet told me if you actually experience lag and if so where and what seems to cause it? I did not advertise -malloc=system as being an fps increaser, it might just fix some lag issues people have.

well no i havent any lag^^ but maybe it helped.

could you add me in skype ? xx_waldi_x want to ask you some stuff

and why would winxp cause improper user for the system memory allocator? i will try it now with only winxp and only malloc.then post the diffrence

for the cpuCOUNT im using CPU Control to manuel give the exe all cpus.

well no i havent any lag^^ but maybe it helped.

could you add me in skype ? xx_waldi_x want to ask you some stuff

and why would winxp cause improper user for the system memory allocator? i will try it now with only winxp and only malloc.then post the diffrence

for the cpuCOUNT im using CPU Control to manuel give the exe all cpus.

The -winxp forces arma 2 to use DirectX9 instead of the extended DirectX9 that is provided with windows 7/Vista.

So far the only noticeable difference for me with -winxp on is that the loading times are a little bit faster.

I'll add you on skype later today i have to go out for an hour.

With -winxp ( without -malloc=syste ) i have 34-35 fps

-malloc=syste 35-36 ... no with both together

togther 33 fps... well i dont know whats going on and where are my 60 fps

Edited by Kinami37