Sign in to follow this  
DifferentFrogs

Thoughts from my first day playing DayZ

Fair enough. That's the impression I'm getting from responses to this thread.

My general rule is if I can't figure out how to enjoy a game within the first day of playing it, then it's not worth continuing to try. I know others enjoy overcoming steep learning curves, and that games that have those types of curves can be very rewarding once you figure everything out, but I don't want to spend a week of my life learning how to overcome the quirks of the engine and AI before I can have fun.

I have school at the moment as well, and need a game that don't require the same of time commitment as one of my courses :)

Its not steep at all if you can read the DayZ wiki and understand the DayZdb loot map. There is zero time commitment in this game. Its Sandbox meaning you play at your speed. You're just trying to justify your short comings.

Its not steep at all if you can read the DayZ wiki and understand the DayZdb loot map. There is zero time commitment in this game. Its Sandbox meaning you play at your speed. You're just trying to justify your short comings.

Heh, perhaps I am.

But I'm not a newbie to gaming. I've played strategy and FPS for years. It's very unusual for me a find a game that, despite the aid of guides and wikis, does not become fun within the first day of gameplay. You can shout SANDBOX all you like, but if by sandbox you mean crawling around in grass for hours on end, that's not the sort of sandbox game I enjoy.

I mean what is comes down to is I play games for fun. If a game is not fun, and cannot be made fun reasonably quickly, then I'll leave it be. All I really wanted to discover with this thread was whether or not there was a way to play it that makes it fun, that doesn't require a large time commitment. It looks like there isn't, so I'll be putting it down for now and waiting for a full release.

Edited by DifferentFrogs

I gotta say, I have no real idea how frustrating the game can be for a new spawn.. Back when I started playing it, everyone got the makarov at spawn, and even some beans, so it was just about finding a better gun...

And after you learn the game (at which point it is much more boring), it usually takes about 30 - 60 minutes to gear up quite nicely.. Basically meaning that you'll be carrying an assault rifle, some pistol and an ALICE pack by that time + plus some other random items that you don't really even need.

The initial surival part of the game was still the best it had to offer in my opinion (not using the loot maps and such that people always suggest). Back then the game still had some exploration to it, and every new weapon find still felt like an accomplishment. The game is pretty hardcore, so probably not all will like it. And it is by far the buggiest game I've ever played, so constant frustration due to that is guaranteed. Also, you will become frustrated with all the other players, who will shoot you on sight. Even if you are carrying no weapon... So yeah... Waiting for the game to actually get polished may be a sensible thing. The experience might be much better at that time. Then again, you can just embrace the crazy initial difficulty level and try to overcome it. Take it as a challenge. It is possible to overcome.

I had the exact same experience as the OP, actually I got here by googling for the "houses-without-doors"-problem. In the current state the game isn't fun for me as well. Normally i really like games which contain some "roguelike-experience" where you play hours or days for nothing but the moment you play. Atm here are some points which just kill it for me. The houses that I can't enter is the first on my list. I hope this gets changed in the future and make me try again