Sign in to follow this  
bluerising

Removal of "zoom"? [in standalone?]

One thing that I think helps in the overabundance of bandits in this mod is the "zoom" feature (holding down the right mouse button).

How exactly? It makes spotting people away from longer distances away easier. People easier to spot = people more easily stalked

Hiding in a tree? Don't matter— a quick "zoom" to your tree will easily show your avatar clipping through the tree.

Laying down in the grass? Don't matter— "zoom" will spot you.

Sneaking through a building? Don't matter— "zoom" will show your cap popping out from the odd colored walls.

Player or zombie in the far distance? Don't fret— "zoom" will show you.

For a "sim" a zoom really isn't that realistic and it just makes spotting people way too easy.

Not to mention, with Real Virtuality 3, "zooming" at foliage and trees from a distance will reduce the model's size showing any avatar/tent/vehicle under it.

OH YEA, it also makes mid-long range combat ridiculously easy, which aids the most to banditry and hurts newer players who don't have weapons that can perform past 50m.

Edited by bluerising

I'm pretty sure the hatchet is the only weapon that doesn't perform past 50m bro.

Half of what you list have nothing to do with zoom and are more about clipping and display bugs. How about we just fix the bugs instead of taking things out of the game?

Zooming is helpful to bandits? That's really what you're going with?

Seriously? Come on.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I'm pretty sure the hatchet is the only weapon that doesn't perform past 50m bro.

Half of what you list have nothing to do with zoom and are more about clipping and display bugs. How about we just fix the bugs instead of taking things out of the game?

Zooming is helpful to bandits? That's really what you're going with?

Seriously? Come on.

If you don't think zoom helps players spot other players and dumbs down combat, then you are a fizzle.

Before you say anything, I shoot on sight. It's just a feature that needs to be removed, because it hurts more than helps.

The "Zoom" is to simulate eyes focusing on a particular object. Completely logical to have in a game that has 225 square KM of open land.

• Like 1

No rather make it blurry on the edges cuz its like you're focusing.

• Like 1

The issues you posted were related to the actual bugs and problems of the Arma II engine.

Bandits will not be stopped regardless of if there was a zoom feature or not.

I think taking the zoom feature out of the game would make a lot of people give up on it. Arma II may be a mil sim, but it's still a video game.

I zoom constantly, and what stops a player from finding you via their sniper scope or binoculars? I think if anything it would hurt less equipped noobs even more.

If you don't think zoom helps players spot other players and dumbs down combat, then you are a fizzle.

Before you say anything, I shoot on sight. It's just a feature that needs to be removed, because it hurts more than helps.

It also helps you kill zombies.

And spot loot.

And spot vehicles.

And spot friends.

And spot road signs.

And do literally anything that involves seeing things.

You could just as easily argue that it helps survivors avoid bandits by helping them spot the danger sooner and go some place else.

So yes, I guess you're right. It totally helps bandits. In that bandits have motherfucking eyeballs.

I'm sorry, but this thread is ridiculous.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 6

I get what you're saying, but while it doesn't exactly work that way in real life, you can ¨focus¨ on distant objects in a way.

So yes, I guess you're right. It totally helps bandits. In that bandits have motherfucking eyeballs.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you had robot eyes that can zoom.

It makes PKing more easy because it makes spotting effortless.

It also dumbs down mid-long range combat.

Ever thought of this? We are using TV's and monitors to see in game. There are only so many pixels. The distance you can see detail on, lets say a 28" monitor without zooming is unrealistic. The human eye can see far more detail over distance than a small box that is displaying a picture of which the resolution is far smaller than what the human eye can see. Zooming is used to compensate for that lack of detail. ARMA 2 alone is a military simulator, zooming is there for a reason. Your suggestion is similar to people wanting to remove all HUD from DayZ. But not having a visual indicator of hunger and thirst (a feeling) would make it less realistic.

Edited by Kykle

It makes PKing more easy because it makes spotting effortless.

Luv me some mo'easy pking with my robot eyes, wait till I get my range finder and TWS upgrade....

I love that the ridiculousness of this is totally lost on op, and I love that the nerf bandits crew has gotten to the point that they advocate sight removal.

Chernerous Day 1: And the OP said "We should be blind lest we murder each other" and therefore the community decreed, "GTFO LTP Carebear NEWB", and the dev team gets a good lulz.

Not going to happen, it is one of the many parts why I love Day Z and Arma 2.

Also if you're saying this is solution to PK'ing, that makes this suggestion even worse.

Remove zoom? No.

I'm not even sure if the OP was sober when he typed his post, or if this is an experiment in sarcasm.

It also helps you kill zombies.

And spot loot.

And spot vehicles.

And spot friends.

And spot road signs.

And do literally anything that involves seeing things.

You could just as easily argue that it helps survivors avoid bandits by helping them spot the danger sooner and go some place else.

This ends the thread everybody.

/Applause.

/Thread

• Like 1

Zooming is a mechanism to make the game more player friendly, it makes up for the fact that in real life you can lean foward and focus on a spot in the distance and you will be able to see it better. it doesnt take away any realism, it actually makes it MORE realistic and more user friendly at the same time.

Go shed some more tears about being killed by bandits somewhere else please.

Also, ZedsDeadBaby has my beans.