Sign in to follow this  
IceCreamSandwich

The Adrenaline Status - Stop ALT+F4ing

The Adrenaline Status

The Adrenaline status would be a safe attempt in my mind to stop ALT+F4ing. The Adrenaline System would be a status effect.

The Adrenaline status would be, well a status effect just like as if you broke your legs, or you are in shock from falling/being hit. The Adrenaline status would be activated under a combat situation (A PvP engagement). If you're shot at, or if you shoot someone your Adrenaline kicks in. After 5 seconds of safety (Finishing your PvP engagement/Zed engagement) your Adrenaline would deactivate.

Say, you're in a firefight. You fire at someone, if those bullets land anywhere near the enemy player, your Adrenaline status activates as well does theirs. Once the fight is over, bullets have stopped flying, 5 seconds has pasted, your Adrenaline deactivates giving you back the abort function.

When the Adrenaline status is under effect, you cannot abort. Aborting is disabled while the Adrenaline status is under affect. Have the Hive track when someone disconnects while the Adrenaline status is on. If you ALT+F4 while the Adrenaline status is undergoing, you get a warning. If you ALT+F4 for a second time while the Adrenaline status is undergoing, you get a temp ban for 12 hours. If you ALT+F4 for a third time, you get temp banned for 48 hours. If you seal your fate with a fourth and final ALT+F4 when your Adrenaline status is on, you will receive a perm ban.

I understand this is not at all perfect, and somewhat harsh, but this has to stop. Let me know what you think!

Edited by IceCreamSandwich
  • Like 22

Sweet mother of god... This is the best anti-AltF4 suggestion I've seen.

My beans, you deserve them...

• Like 1

Sweet mother of god... This is the best anti-AltF4 suggestion I've seen.

My beans, you deserve them...

Why thank you, kind sir.
  • Like 1

Very good idea indeed. Maybe this adrenaline status should also trigger when having the attention of zombies or being shot at by other players.

And the penalties are not that harsh if you ask me. But maybe there is no need for banning/warning. Just instant death, while the death body/loot is still existing would be enough in my view.

I'm behind this, just make sure real disconnect issues and of that sort are protected under this. I.e. players who "Losing connection..." It should also track actually crashes rather than just forced closed by task manager or the like.

Very good idea indeed. Maybe this adrenaline status should also trigger when having the attention of zombies or being shot at by other players.

And the penalties are not that harsh if you ask me. But maybe there is no need for banning/warning. Just instant death, while the death body/loot is still existing would be enough in my view.

In my mind, the banning/warning would be needed. There's those few occasions where someone could legitly have their Adrenaline status active, and their PC could crash, Arma2OA could crash, their internet could cut out, their power could glitch, and so forth. There's going to be two types of people, those who legitly have been disconnected/have had a crash, or those who are ALT+F4ing. Edited by IceCreamSandwich
  • Like 1

So, if my PC crashes or my internet disconnects more than four times over the whole course I play Day Z I get my account permanently banned. No, thanks.

Also how would people be banned? Or do you think Rocket has magical powers and can ban everyone.

So, if my PC crashes or my internet disconnects more than four times over the whole course I play Day Z I get my account permanently banned. No, thanks.

Also how would people be banned? Or do you think Rocket has magical powers and can ban everyone.

In 1.7.2.4 if the Hive tracks your successful log in attempts within a set period of time, this would punish both those with legit problems, and those without. I have not a clue how the Hive functions, but if the Hive could detect whether you're being shot at (in combat) or not while under the adrenaline status, that would solve if you are having legit problems or not. If your PC happens to crash all 4 times while in combat, with the Adrenaline status active, something could be a little fishy. Again, I really don't know how the Hive functions. Edited by IceCreamSandwich
  • Like 1

seems like it will work, as for players that D/c due to connection loss rather then alt+4, the game can detect when a player is starting to lose their connection (player "joe" is losing connection) so they may be good excuses to go without punishment

I find it very, very hard to believe that your computer or internet just 'happens' to disconnect enough DURING COMBAT that this would be an issue.

It's a bit too "Red menace" of me to just flat out declare you an alt-f4 abuser, so I won't. I'll simply suggest it in a very jerk-like manner. =)

Out of the 120 logged hours of DayZ or so I have (lost track, tbh), I'd say only about 3 hours were spent 'in-combat'.

In other words....

Well, I wouldn't worry about it. =) I'm sure if you play legit, you won't have any issues.

Ciao.

Nice idea, I'm quit a fan, but isn't this pretty much the "Shock" status effect, with a little more detrimental effects?

The Adrenaline Status

The Adrenaline status would be a safe attempt in my mind to stop ALT+F4ing. The Adrenaline System would be a status effect.

The Adrenaline status would be, well a status effect just like as if you broke your legs, or you are in shock from falling/being hit. The Adrenaline status can be activated by being shot, being bit by an infected, or having bullets land somewhat near you. The Adrenaline status will deactivate after 5 minutes of "safety". (Safety as in not being shot, or bit by a infected.

When the Adrenaline status is under effect, you cannot abort. Aborting is disabled while the Adrenaline status is under affect. Have the Hive track when someone disconnects while the Adrenaline status is on. If you ALT+F4 while the Adrenaline status is undergoing, you get a warning. If you ALT+F4 for a second time while the Adrenaline status is undergoing, you get a temp ban for 12 hours. If you ALT+F4 for a third time, you get temp banned for 48 hours. If you seal your fate with a fourth and final ALT+F4 when your Adrenaline status is on, you will receive a perm ban.

I understand this is somewhat harsh, but this has to stop. Let me know what you think!

I love the idea... but 5 minutes!?

If you need 5 minutes to finish someone off then you are the one with the problem, 5 seconds is more than enough... seriously count out 5 seconds and imagine you standing there motionless being shot at.

Rocket has altered the hit damage in DayZ, if he put damage back to stock ArmA 2 for players (not zombies) then there would be very few instances of d/c'ing/alt f4'ing because you'd be dead or unconscious before you even thought about moving your hand to hit the keys.

5 second persistent character is good, putting hit damage back to normal would be great.

I think of : if he ALT+F4 while adrenaline is undergoing, hos character will be slayed and his body will keep where he currently was/is

Nice idea, I'm quit a fan, but isn't this pretty much the "Shock" status effect, with a little more detrimental effects?

To an extent. With the shock effect, you could fall off a building/ledge and be in shock. You could also be hit from zombies and be in shock. With Adrenaline, it would activate during combat. If you shoot at a player, and the bullets land a few feet near them in any direction your Adrenaline would kick in. Just as with you, bullets land near your or on you, your Adrenaline would activate. If you proceed to leave the game by ALT+F4ing or you happen to "crash" while Adrenaline is active you receive the warning, then so forth.

If you need 5 minutes to finish someone off then you are the one with the problem, 5 seconds is more than enough... seriously count out 5 seconds and imagine you standing there motionless being shot at.

Rocket has altered the hit damage in DayZ, if he put damage back to stock ArmA 2 for players (not zombies) then there would be very few instances of d/c'ing/alt f4'ing because you'd be dead or unconscious before you even thought about moving your hand to hit the keys.

5 second persistent character is good, putting hit damage back to normal would be great.

After looking at what you said, and reviewing my original post, I changed it to 5 seconds. I did not know about the altered hit damage. Thanks for letting me know!

I like this idea man, beans have been given. Let's do this.

Hey I just read this, and this is crazy. But here's my bean can, so take it maybe?

good idea, would also not interfere with character duplication

I don't think a perm ban would be a good solution. I think that the the severe punishment should be a temp ban for a set period of time. Temp bans are a bit extreme, regardless of how many times they break the rule. I agree with everything else, however.

Instead of creating a new status effect I would embed this mechanic into the already existing "Shock" status.

http://www.dayzwiki..../Status_Effects

But instead of warnings or bans I would simply make that if you logout under shock status your character stays there for the duration of the shock (5 minutes) to be vulnerable to whatever threat is around.

EDIT: FIxed typos.

Edited by necroslord

No sorry 5 seconds is not enoough. That would make this completely pointless and only suitable to ensure the sniper kills, but drawn out engagements, where neither you nor the enemy is instantly dead(because someone missed) would be unaffected by this change.

Just about a week ago I suddenly started taking fire, got hit in the shoulder, threw myself behind a rock, managed to bandage myself after losing lots of blood and waited for the "enemy" to make a mistake...like coming out of cover, trying to flank me, etc. I waited there for about 10 minutes, then I worked my way around, came from the back and shot him.

With 5 seconds you can just make potshots at someone from afar and if you dont get the kill instantly, just wait 5 seconds and log..thats stupid.

Instead of all the temp/full banning which is the result of an understandable venting of frustration over Alt+F4'ing ... why?

Also, while i am not a computer expert i think Alt+F4 is a windows functionality, and thus not something that can be disabled from within the game... THUS! there just needs to be a 20-30sec log-out timer associated with either logging out or alt+f4'ing, this functionality has been implemented in a great number of games i played. It doesn't even need a status recognition, though it might be nice to just log of if one is safe without the risk of getting under fire in those 20-30sec.

| You are about to log off: |

| [ 29 sec] [log off now] |

---------------------------------

Seeing this could trigger from the Hive, the moment a character leaves or looses connection or w/e, there is nobody in their right minds that would alt+f4 when that means they will be dead when they log back in ...

I like this idea a lot, but with a much longer adrenalin status effect time like in your original posting. Why? Because I had situations like the poster above me where i just got into cover and waited for a very long time to make my next move. Why not 5 minutes?

And honestly, i have played so many hours now and the only times i get disconnected is when the server restarts. In every other case when i got desynched this was gone after no longer than 5 seconds. Not a single pc crash or disonnect from my side. I wonder what you people are doing... So why not implement a solution to wait for 5 seconds if the player comes back to cover the short disconnects that may happen and set the adrenalin status time to something around 5 mins?