Sign in to follow this  
zython (DayZ)

Hatchet & crowbar "guns" needs much less ammo

I know it has near infinite or infinite (havn't gone through 5 10,000 magazines yet) because it's a melee weapon, but I think it would be jolly if it only had like, say 200 whacks before it "broke" aka ran out of ammo and disappeared from your inventory?

Who uses it anyway? It would be nice, but the melee combat is just retarded right now.

No! I love hatchets, I would like them to buff the crossbow with bolts that take no slots!

I doubt a hatchet would break after hitting a soft human body 200 times since it is a tool designed to withstand well over 200 hits on a much harder substance I.e. wood. It doesn't make sense if you think about it for more than half a second.

Who uses it anyway? It would be nice, but the melee combat is just retarded right now.

If you aren't retarded then the hatchet is a seriously OP zombie killer. If you are (aka you swing without the crosshairs on the zed) well, I can't help you there.

I don't bother filling up my inventory with a main weapon and clips, I keep those spots open for my hatchet and survival gear. While I wouldn't mind being required to maintain my hatchet to keep it in proper working order, I wouldn't want it to break altogether unless it were a low random chance.

I'd expect there'd be the same chances for guns to backfire, ammo to be duds, etc.

why would it break?

it's supposed to cleave through much harder things than a body (wood and such) and made to rip tree and sometimes metal apart.... doubt bone and flesh does much to that, so I'd say 10.000 whacks is a pretty good guess, considering I have used the same axe/hatchet for cutting wood for 18 years now, and i haven't had it break on me yet

Um....It's an axe, it ain't exactly weak. Go outside and split wood until it breaks. 200 SWINGS? or 200 HITS? If I go out and flail my ax like a retard, I'm pretty sure the integrity will remain unchanged ;)

I know it has near infinite or infinite (havn't gone through 5 10,000 magazines yet) because it's a melee weapon, but I think it would be jolly if it only had like, say 200 whacks before it "broke" aka ran out of ammo and disappeared from your inventory?

No, for two reasons:

1. The only uses for the hatchet in the game are uses for which hatchets are intended. Degradation at that extreme rate is unrealistic.

2. All other items in the game, with the exception of vehicles, can be used indefinitely without any kind of maintenance. Also unrealistic, but at least it's balanced. Singling out the hatchet seems....odd.

This isn't a bad idea in itself, but I think it should either be greatly expanded or dropped altogether. It's also worth pointing out that the topic of weapon upkeep, in more expansive terms, has been touched on elsewhere in Suggestions.

The figure of 200 was a placeholder.

And just to show how overpowered the hatchet is I've gone on a zombie killing spree, hatchet only, immediately after spawning. I cleaved through 111 zombies before one broke my legs.

So if not the infinite ammo, at least a power reduction.

I survived on only zombie drop loot. I broke my legs with an exess of like 6 soda cans, 3 canned foodstuffs, about 6 makarov mags. 4 CZ mags, 4 M1911 mags, 10 bandages, 6 or so painkillers, not including the stuff I ate and drank.

After my legs were broken I considered the experiment over and let myself get killed. If they didn't break I felt I could have gone through another 20 or 30 zombies before I got bored and sloppy and got killed.

Edited by zython

The figure of 200 was a placeholder.

And just to show how overpowered the hatchet is I've gone on a zombie killing spree, hatchet only, immediately after spawning. I cleaved through 111 zombies before one broke my legs.

So if not the infinite ammo, at least a power reduction.

I survived on only zombie drop loot. I broke my legs with an exess of like 6 soda cans, 3 canned foodstuffs, about 6 makarov mags. 4 CZ mags, 4 M1911 mags, 10 bandages, 6 or so painkillers, not including the stuff I ate and drank.

After my legs were broken I considered the experiment over and let myself get killed. If they didn't break I felt I could have gone through another 20 or 30 zombies before I got bored and sloppy and got killed.

Aww, but it's sooo fuuun to go on Hatchet rampages! :D

lol

All kidding aside, I don't see this as an issue with the Hatchet.

Point A: It's a specialized infected-killing tool, not a PvP tool. If you try and kill a player with a hatchet, you won't have a good time.

Point B: The efficiency of the hatchet against infected isn't a result of the hatchet being overpowered, it's a result of the infected being underpowered. I think the infected should receive a buff.