Woofington

Let's talk about cooperation

I love DayZ, I have put way WAY too much time into it. I love its brutality, I love its unforgiving nature, and I love player interactions. I'm a huge fan of this latest patch (ladders what what!?) and am looking forward to seeing this gaming develop.

So lets talk about player-player cooperation. I have been playing a lot lately and have found one thing to be true, unless it is an actual friend of yours, no one is to be trusted. Now this exists for two reasons.

1) You have everything to lose if that other player is untrustworthy.

2) You have everything to gain if you kill him. His items, and a sense of safety from that other potential threat.

What this leads to is a mentality of killing on site. Now this isn't a terrible thing, this game is an anti-game, it is meant to be cold and unaffected. I really enjoy seeing some of the player interactions because not everyone will just shoot immediately (although this seems to be becoming more common).

However there is very little opportunity for emergent cooperation. I think this is a bit disappointing but I am not sure if there is a way to correct it. I would love to come across another survive struggling and team up without having to worry about him shooting me but the risk is too high. I would love to form little roving parties of random players who actively work towards a goal, but again, how can you be sure to trust anyone? Because of this there is never, NEVER cooperation outside of pre-determined friendships/communities.

So what is everyone else's thoughts on the matter? Should there be some mechanic to encourage team work? How can we implement such a mechanic without hand-holding, or reducing the anti-game thesis?

Just a topic for discussion I think.

In all honesty, human beings are social creatures. As much as many people hate to admit it, we NEED meaningful interaction with other human beings.

Meaningful interaction is not shooting them in the face.

I personally feel there should be a sanity status. The more time you spend away from people, it goes down. The more you attack people, the more it goes down, until you start going completely bonkers and start seeing things.

Bit of a stretch, and hamstrings solo players, but it might be an interesting mechanic.

the first three weeks of DayZ open alpha up to version 1.52 had lots of teamwork and joinign groups of foreigners...VoIP worked flawless and servers were rarely competely full. We also had more trades, bargains and deals, mostly medicines for ammo or food.

That's all gone now and after the 10th time of beeign killed trying to make friendly contact I finally joined the shoot first never look bacl fraction...because you have to or you're dead.

In all honesty' date=' human beings are social creatures. As much as many people hate to admit it, we NEED meaningful interaction with other human beings.

I personally feel there should be a sanity status. The more time you spend away from people, it goes down. The more you attack people, the more it goes down, until you start going completely bonkers and start seeing things.

Bit of a stretch, and hamstrings solo players, but it might be an interesting mechanic.

[/quote']

------------------------------------------

This is one of the better ideas I have seen on the forums since everyone started bitching about bandit skins being removed. SO awesome I hope the devs/mods see it and consider.

In all honesty' date=' human beings are social creatures. As much as many people hate to admit it, we NEED meaningful interaction with other human beings.

[/quote']

This sounds wubbing awesome!

The moment VoIP gets back in track, hopefully we'll see an decrease in hostilities and little more random cooperation. Typing won't help much and its proven very well. In the meantime, cooperation must be found through the survivor HQ forum and just stay away from others if you are not a killer.

I started playing this mod aabout a week and a half ago, and I have mostly been uncharacteristically lucky with strangers I have met. Sure, the first guy I met was a bandit, I had no idea so I walked right up to him...... shotgun to the face D:

The next guy I met helped me find my first rifle, the next few stuck around with me for a while (I lead them to our doom). I died earlier, and me and a randomer met up on the beach, taking it in turns to hold flares as we made our way to Cherno, fighting a bandit and plenty of Zed on the way.

Not to sat I have not had a bad run in. Two guys would not reply to me on the chat, no names, no friendly, nothing. I sniped them both. And I saw a bandit coming out of Novy at twilight, but I snuck around him.

I've not experienced anything like player trading though, that I would LOVE to see.

how about an option to make "friendly fire" impossible if both users agree.

you come up to a survivor press friendly button the other guys screen says friendly request. if he hits it you cant kill him, he cant kill you. prob solved, then u know if someone is shady if they dont agree.

[/quote']

Wait, we do? Since when? o_O

you come up to a survivor press friendly button the other guys screen says friendly request. if he hits it you cant kill him' date=' he cant kill you. prob solved, then u know if someone is shady if they dont agree.

[/quote']

This sounds great. Kinda like a non-aggression pack that could be cancelled anytime by either party but would have a few minutes cool down effect.

The trading was only possible throug VoIP. I started alone after death and beeign chased by zombies I came along a team of 7 that safed me...I payed for th expense in ammo and joined the team. Near Vyshnoye a group of russians sat up in the tower of the castle, we came in to loot...they told us to stay away first and since we complied without agressive behaviour they calles us back and asked for trade...they were in need of painkillers.

After the bargain a bandit (there was no bandit skin back then, so everyone shooting on sight was considered a bandit) came to the castle and killed our leader in an ambush...we had three losses when everyone started to shoot everyone in the panic ;)

I went with the russians for a while then and near Airfield I joined a loner at a barn that was too afraid to go into airfield alone...etc

The game does not accurately simulate human behavior at all. If you aren't grouping with guildies or friends, you simply can't afford to help or group with anyone. It's essentially a single player game unless you have friends outside the game. If you're a solo player, you have to stay to yourself, because there is literally no bonus to grouping.

The game does not accurately simulate human behavior at all. If you aren't grouping with guildies or friends' date=' you simply can't afford to help or group with anyone. It's essentially a single player game unless you have friends outside the game. If you're a solo player, you have to stay to yourself, because there is literally no bonus to grouping.

[/quote']

disagree completely.. first time i played this game it was solo, ran into a couple survivors and grouped up with them for weeks

all you really need is mediocre social skills

bonus for grouping:

repiar vehicles faster

safety in numbers

if you die you can get your gear back

you come up to a survivor press friendly button the other guys screen says friendly request. if he hits it you cant kill him' date=' he cant kill you. prob solved, then u know if someone is shady if they dont agree.

[/quote']

Make this a suggestion in the suggestions forum. Mutual ceasefire agreements would be amazing.

THAT'S THE NEW BANDIT SYSTEM. Don't turn damage off, and if someone breaks their agreement, they get bottomed out humanity. Long trek back up if they want to be trusted again.

Just...Just put this in the suggestions forum with proper grammar. Please.