Sign in to follow this  
TheBigBig

Best way to meet up with a friend?

Just convinced my friend to get the game and then I realized... How the hell am I going to meet up with him? I'm not very familiar with the map. I've only played about five hours or the game. A lot of that time was just learning. So, as I said. How could I meet up with my buddy?

Thanks!

*EDIT: I tried looking around and see what people said. But I didn't find a clear answer or a question just like mine.

Step 1) Get familiar with the map.

Step 2) When you log in, it will tell you your location. Find out where each of you are, and either follow the coast to each other (highly likely to be PK'd on the way) or travel inland and meet in a less-popular location.

Was a bad idea to convince your friend to play with the backwards-system currently implemented. Unless you want to waste 3+ hours spawning, respawning, changing servers, trying to close the distance, etc. only to spend half that time playing, then yeah, it's possible, but not worth it in the slightest. For a game perfect to play with friends, they made sure to make it as difficult as possible to achieve that goal.

Step 2) When you log in' date=' it will tell you your location.

[/quote']

Where exactly does it tell you your location? And is it something that we can always track, or is it just the initial log in spot.

And one other question, is it possible to add him to a group? I know there is a group chat!

Thanks a ton!

[/quote']

Where exactly does it tell you your location? And is it something that we can always track, or is it just the initial log in spot.

And one other question, is it possible to add him to a group? I know there is a group chat!

Thanks a ton!

When you start a game with a new character, or connect to a server/game, it'll display this message on the bottom right. It will say:

"Chernarus

Kamenka"

The "Chernarus" doesn't matter, since that's the area

"Kamenka" matters. That means you spawned on the far southwest border.

You will only spawn on the border next to the water, so find a map and keep track of your location.

There's also town signs and stuff if you happen to run into them.

Here's a map btw:

http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-chernarus/map-of-chernarus_en.html

[/quote']

Thanks a ton!

No, there's no "groups" in DayZ

Your location only is on screen for about 1 to 2 seconds in the bottom right and it is up to you to track your own location from then on.

It will say something like:

"Chernarus

Kemenka

Day 0"

So your location would be Kamenka, as Chernarus is the map. If you need to, there are maps of Chernarus, just google for one.

rUafraid, you beat me by half a second and lol @ we both used Kamenka! :D

[/quote']

Thanks a ton!

rUafraid, you beat me by half a second and lol @ we both used Kamenka! :D

lol, I spawned in Kamenka like 20 times to start off. It's embedded in my head.

I usually use codenames for five distinct meeting points all over the map...all you need to type in in chat is somethign like "Earl Grey, eta 20 minutes". Maps with the markers are in my private section for my coplayers on my facebook. Btw we also use skype rather than buggy ngam chat anyway.

It would really be nice if there was some system in place for this in the future. Maybe the option to "travel" once per life to another player, giving up anything you're carrying and turning your hunger and thirst red. Of course your friend would still be required to be X distance away from the nearest other player to prevent abuse. This would discourage people who have already scavaged items or are trying to amass to attack others from overuse.

I recently convinced my friend to pick up the game as well. I tend to stay North in the woods providing for myself and only sneaking out now and then. He's gotten extremely frustrated trying to meet me at halfway points. Most of the time he dies due to being so green. I keep telling him eventually he'll be experienced enough to handle the situations he runs into, but for now he just gets annoyed and repeatedly kills himself trying to spawn a little bit closer.

Maybe if I manage to get a vehicle up and running someday I can pick him up. It's incredibly difficult trying to teach someone the ropes when you can't reach them. Though I do enjoy his tears.

As everyone has been saying, codes, more specifically my group uses "In the event of a catastrophic loss meet here", the place we consider our "unofficial home" in Day Z.