Sign in to follow this  
Dr Mathiesw

My first murder

Hello,

I am pretty new to Dayz. I am a big fan of flashpoint and arma and a rolist too. So my playstyle is very similar to a scavenger's one, I try to be invisible, to loot only what I need and to disappear as fast I can. I don't want to hurt anyone unnecessarily.

I had a few encounters with others survivors. We exchanged some words, related to greetings, resources exchange or medical attention. I encountered bandits too (3 canadians), I spotted them first as they were talking in direct comm'. I waited for them to get closer (or farther) and unleashed some lead above their heads as soon as I directly saw them. My goal was to frighten them, not to harm anyone. They flew while laughing at my marksmanship, but at least the threat disappeared.

And yesterday, as I was carefully approaching a barn (crawling with a binocular-check every 100 meters) ; I saw a head right behind a boulder. It was my lucky day, it was only 30 meters far ; and I was going to hug a zombie/survivor without noticing it. I hit the ground, take aim, and waited 30 seconds. It didn't move, and didn't notice me.

I crawled back a few meters ; and as I was moving back, the human shape exited the boulder's cover and starts crawling. OMFG, it's a survivor and he noticed me. I didn't have the time to check his weapon. I yelled "Friendly, friendly, don't shoot".

The other one continued crawling toward me. I straffed while crouched and he adjust his trajectory. Me : "Don't get closer, back off".

He continues. The gap between us reduces from 30m to 25meters. My backward-crawling technique was slower than his wannahugyou-crawling one.

Me : "Back off or i'll shoot you". Three times. Around 30 seconds were elapsed since he started moving. He had said/written nothing. He was only 20m away (the game told me, as I couldn't see him). It was difficult to aim with shaking hands, quite impossible in fact. I reload my shotgun with pellets and shoot randomly through the tall grass. 1 shot "Don't come closer, or I'll shoot again".

I stopped moving, and I saw his face emerge from the bushes. I panick and emptied two more pellets loads in his head.

I checked his inventory (I didn't take anything as I didn't want to profit from a crime). It contained the standard survivor stuff (food, canteen, medics), a demi-dozen of ammo, including lee enfield's, a hatchet and a frag grenade.

I was really shocked during this encounter. Did I do the good choice ? He didn't do any aggressive gesture, except of try to get a hug from me. But he didn't answer my greetings and sommations too. Before that, I was thinking of solving this type of encounter by shooting in the legs and running ; but that's impossible when crouched.

I still have faith in humanity not to shoot on sight and I am looking for some tips to avoid unnecessary kill.

Moments like this are refreshing, especially if people use the VOIP! Too bad some people will betray you, so it's best not to trust anyone and just tell them to back off... Shooting someone if they don't back off is usually a good choice

Edited by TSAndrey

I live for moments like those in game, although, honestly I play very differently based on what I have.

If I've got some NVGs, supplies and a decent primary... I'm probably going to shoot first. Asking me if I'm friendly in chat is likely to get silence or me running for the hills lol

If I have very little then I am much more open to making friends ;]

I normaly warn people before doing a Han (Shoot first).. But for the past 4 days i have been paranoid.. got jumped by 3 people when i were looting a supermarket. where they all tried to hachet me to death.

and i somehow killed all 3 in a rain of bullets awarding me with a SVD Camo and a very nice grassy suit..

Now with my current equip / gear. i shoot people from 6-700 meters just to be sure they don't see me and want my stuff.

The most recent player I didn't shoot was a guy in the supermarket. We were both armed, and he had already looted the market. He saw me before I saw him, and he asked "friendly?" I figured he was actually friendly since he could have shot already. Some of my group was almost to the market too, and I told them on TS there was a friendly guy in the market so that they wouldn't shoot him... and our guy that always shoots on sight replies, "there is no such thing as friendly in Cherno." I knew if the two crossed paths someone would die. So I told the friendly guy what was up, and he asked which direction to go to avoid them and left. A few seconds later, my group arrives. I didn't see the friendly guy (or any of us) die all night, so it worked out!

Normally though, if* I don't feel like dying, I shoot.

Edit cause I forgot "if" ^.

Edited by Charlotte